Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 13th September 2009
Bonsaidad

Bottles and ball

had a few old bottles hanging around the house, and i knew that one day i would use them.
Then i had a brain wave "boy it hurt" , and with a crystal ball i set the shot up, then back-lit the whole scene.
I decided to capture the final image in Orange.

Comments and critique welcomed.

Best regards Paul
Old 13th September 2009
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: Bottles and ball

A nice idea, and I love the light.

However, somehow the whole lot looks like it's on a slope. And for me the light should be more even at each side.

But I love the way the light effect is reversed through the globe - maybe that should have been in the middle?

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 13th September 2009
EH1

Smile Re: Bottles and ball

I love the composition of this picture!......yes the lighting could be a little better, but it`s great to see something a bit different! Well done!
Old 13th September 2009
Bonsaidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
A nice idea, and I love the light.

However, somehow the whole lot looks like it's on a slope. And for me the light should be more even at each side.

But I love the way the light effect is reversed through the globe - maybe that should have been in the middle?

Thanks Stephen.
There are several other ways that you could work this by moving the subjects around, i just wanted to keep the bottles together.
But then why not try what you suggested!.

I did not notice it was slopping, i will have to check that one out.

Best regards Paul
Old 13th September 2009
Bonsaidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by EH1 View Post
I love the composition of this picture!......yes the lighting could be a little better, but it`s great to see something a bit different! Well done!

Hi Edward.
I always try and think outside the box, looking for something different to photograph instead of the more usual things.
That way you can never get bored of shooting the same thing.

At the time of this image, i did not have any lighting at all, and the lighting in this image is from two 12v small lights.
I took a long exposure to capture all of it, and the BG was just a plain blue wall.
Keeping things simple!.

Best regards Paul
Old 13th September 2009

Liked 337 Times in 227 Posts

The composition would be much better with three rather than four objects. I would discard the globe as it is not obviously recognisable as a bottle.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 14th September 2009
Bonsaidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
The composition would be much better with three rather than four objects. I would discard the globe as it is not obviously recognisable as a bottle.
Thanks for you input to this thread Benvendetta.

I know the norm is to use just three objects, but i like to step outside that area, bend or even break the rules or guidelines.
I strive to be an individual, instead of following the masses.
As to the globe not looking like a bottle, well that because it isn't, the clue is in the title.

"Bottles and ball".

best regards Paul
Old 14th September 2009

When I comment on images it is from a photographic judge viewpoint as this is what I do at clubs all over south east Wales. You may well like to bend or break the rules but with the sort of image that you present three will almost always look better than four. And most judges would say that.

Sorry about thinking the globe was a bottle!

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 14th September 2009
Administrator

Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,220 Posts
Liked 1,627 Times in 723 Posts

This is the critique forum, so I will be respectful but frank

I like the colour and tone that has been achieved. But personally, I find the line of objects rather lacking in drama.

I don't think it has anything to do with the number of objects at all. It's just that they are all spaced out in a line. What are you trying to portray? There is nothing communicating with me about the composition. I think the subjects need some perspective and angles to make more of an impact.

Hope that helps.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 14th September 2009
Administrator

Quote:
When I comment on images it is from a photographic judge viewpoint as this is what I do at clubs all over south east Wales. You may well like to bend or break the rules but with the sort of image that you present three will almost always look better than four. And most judges would say that.

I think you are very brave to be a judge, as (and I think you will already appreciate this) the opinion of judges is not unversally respected. It's an impossible position to be in as a judge can never (unless there is a clear winner) embrace universal opinion.

I'm afraid I disagree with your opinion on this one C'est la vie!

Ian

Old 14th September 2009
EH1

Paul is obviously pleased with his result! & that`s all that matters! He has set out to achieve this picture & got the result he was looking for!..............I did`nt think there is a right or wrong picture in photography, it`s all down to personal taste!
Old 14th September 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EH1 View Post
Paul is obviously pleased with his result! & that`s all that matters! He has set out to achieve this picture & got the result he was looking for!..............I did`nt think there is a right or wrong picture in photography, it`s all down to personal taste!
Well, this is the thing - imagery is such a personal thing. And that's why I always emphasise that my opinion is very much a personal thing.

But undoubtedly, a really successful image will wow a wide cross section of opinions.

Ian

Old 14th September 2009

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Hi Paul

My opinion - I think the image looks better without the globe!

I like the colour and effect of the light on the rear wall it gives the picture a feel of an oil painting and might work well as a canvas print (with out the globe)

the light through the 2 smaller bottles works well but the separation of the taller bottle is not there it probably doesn't need much to just give an edge on the left side.

And it does lean slightly

Dave
Old 14th September 2009
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:

Might be better to post from a 'Dave' viewpoint then Dave... There's no judges on here I'm afraid, and though I appreciate you didn't state otherwise - each persons opinion is equally as valid as everyone elses opinion.

As Ian says, apart from the obvious 'content' of an image - photography is extremely subjective, and is very much a personal thing - which to me makes a bit of a mockery of 'club judges'. No offense meant, but... it means nothing to me if someone is a club or area judge - most photographers are not members of clubs either, therefore most photo judges judge the minority of photographers images (if that makes sense).

Old 14th September 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Might be better to post from a 'Dave' viewpoint then Dave... There's no judges on here I'm afraid, and though I appreciate you didn't state otherwise - each persons opinion is equally as valid as everyone elses opinion.

As Ian says, apart from the obvious 'content' of an image - photography is extremely subjective, and is very much a personal thing - which to me makes a bit of a mockery of 'club judges'. No offense meant, but... it means nothing to me if someone is a club or area judge - most photographers are not members of clubs either, therefore most photo judges judge the minority of photographers images (if that makes sense).
Maybe more people on this forum should join photographic clubs. I would prefer to show my work within my club or other local clubs in inter-club battles than on this forum although for many people this is possibly their only outlet. And I will be the first to state that I post images very seldom. No doubt that if I did they would get torn to shreds! ;-)
Anyway, this part of the forum is about saying what one thinks about an image, good or bad and I have done this. If people don't like it then fair enough - photography is subjective after all. But when I comment on an image here it will be in exactly the same way as I would do it in a club competition - I could do it no other way!

Last edited by benvendetta; 14th September 2009 at 08:36 PM. Reason: amended