Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
MJ224's Avatar
MJ224 MJ224 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Carmarthenshire
Posts: 11,906
Thanks: 803
Thanked 612 Times in 570 Posts
Likes: 5,891
Liked 3,185 Times in 1,481 Posts
No Oly cameras or lenses

Just browsing E-Finity, grey importer, and note they have no Olympus cameras or lenses for sale.

Bit odd....
__________________
My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Naughty Nigel's Avatar
Naughty Nigel Naughty Nigel is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Land of the Prince Bishops
Posts: 9,357
Thanks: 375
Thanked 543 Times in 458 Posts
Likes: 3,223
Liked 2,235 Times in 1,476 Posts
Re: No Oly cameras or lenses

Maybe Olympus won't supply them?

Panamoz is similar. Brands come and go.
__________________
---------------

Naughty Nigel


Difficult is worth doing
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
jonesy jonesy is online now
Full member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nottingham, UK
Posts: 716
Thanks: 64
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Likes: 46
Liked 57 Times in 26 Posts
Re: No Oly cameras or lenses

Supply and demand?
I am doing an online photography course at the moment and when people are asking about buying a new camera everyone is quick to shout Canon and Nikon unless they specifically ask for mirrorless... and even then Olympus is not mentioned... its all Sony.
__________________
Tracey Jones

Its a shame that humans dont come with autofocus, like cameras do!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Naughty Nigel's Avatar
Naughty Nigel Naughty Nigel is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Land of the Prince Bishops
Posts: 9,357
Thanks: 375
Thanked 543 Times in 458 Posts
Likes: 3,223
Liked 2,235 Times in 1,476 Posts
Re: No Oly cameras or lenses

Sony is a well known consumer brand and rightly or wrongly is trusted.

Non-photographers and newcomers probably associate Nikon and Canon more with photography than other brands.

Olympus is less well known and doesn't have the prominence that it did in the days when David Bailey was advertising the Olympus Trip on the telly.
__________________
---------------

Naughty Nigel


Difficult is worth doing
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
OM USer (3 Weeks Ago)
  #5  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Phill D's Avatar
Phill D Phill D is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 9,490
Thanks: 1,149
Thanked 1,361 Times in 1,256 Posts
Likes: 952
Liked 2,208 Times in 1,056 Posts
Re: No Oly cameras or lenses

Maybe they should resurrect and update some of the old TV ads?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
jonesy jonesy is online now
Full member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nottingham, UK
Posts: 716
Thanks: 64
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Likes: 46
Liked 57 Times in 26 Posts
Re: No Oly cameras or lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Sony is a well known consumer brand and rightly or wrongly is trusted.

Non-photographers and newcomers probably associate Nikon and Canon more with photography than other brands.

Olympus is less well known and doesn't have the prominence that it did in the days when David Bailey was advertising the Olympus Trip on the telly.
I dont understand why people would happily take other newbies advice without actually trying something out for themselves. A few years ago when I had the old Olympus system I moved to a different brand... all my photography friends were "Canon, you must use Canon, they are so much better than Nikon or Pentax" but without going into a physical shop I wouldnt have tried the entry level cameras and realise that Canon was too plastic for my daughter to use... nor that the next level up didnt fit my hands...
Every time I see those threads online I always say go to the shop or at least try someones out... but I wonder how many actually do.
__________________
Tracey Jones

Its a shame that humans dont come with autofocus, like cameras do!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (4 Weeks Ago)
  #7  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Naughty Nigel's Avatar
Naughty Nigel Naughty Nigel is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Land of the Prince Bishops
Posts: 9,357
Thanks: 375
Thanked 543 Times in 458 Posts
Likes: 3,223
Liked 2,235 Times in 1,476 Posts
Re: No Oly cameras or lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
I dont understand why people would happily take other newbies advice without actually trying something out for themselves. A few years ago when I had the old Olympus system I moved to a different brand... all my photography friends were "Canon, you must use Canon, they are so much better than Nikon or Pentax" but without going into a physical shop I wouldnt have tried the entry level cameras and realise that Canon was too plastic for my daughter to use... nor that the next level up didnt fit my hands...
Every time I see those threads online I always say go to the shop or at least try someones out... but I wonder how many actually do.
The so called 'digital revolution' mas meant there aren't' too many real camera shops left, although we are lucky to have LCE (Gosforth) and Charles Eagles (Sunderland) within striking distance.

Our modern culture means that many photographers would rather buy whatever is trending from Amazon and return it within 14 days if they don't like it.

The same goes for clothing.

On a related point, I have never yet handled a laptop before buying one because other than Apple shops there is nowhere to do so.
__________________
---------------

Naughty Nigel


Difficult is worth doing
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
jonesy jonesy is online now
Full member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nottingham, UK
Posts: 716
Thanks: 64
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Likes: 46
Liked 57 Times in 26 Posts
Re: No Oly cameras or lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
The so called 'digital revolution' mas meant there aren't' too many real camera shops left, although we are lucky to have LCE (Gosforth) and Charles Eagles (Sunderland) within striking distance.

Our modern culture means that many photographers would rather buy whatever is trending from Amazon and return it within 14 days if they don't like it.

The same goes for clothing.

On a related point, I have never yet handled a laptop before buying one because other than Apple shops there is nowhere to do so.
Oh gosh, we are lucky here... We have LCE and Jessops as well as John Lewis and PC world to try and buy things. I wont buy unless I try... Laptop is the same. I looked online for ages at what I THOUGHT I wanted... but then I went to PC World and they were awful... screens was the main issue for me, and there was no way of telling whether the screen was a glossy one or a matt one. I suppose I need to buy all my tech before I move away from a city
__________________
Tracey Jones

Its a shame that humans dont come with autofocus, like cameras do!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Ricoh Ricoh is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lancashire
Posts: 5,771
Thanks: 592
Thanked 419 Times in 371 Posts
Likes: 786
Liked 1,918 Times in 1,142 Posts
Re: No Oly cameras or lenses

You can only purchase 'proper' cameras / lenses on line, apart from the odd charity shop find.
__________________
Steve

on flickr
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Naughty Nigel's Avatar
Naughty Nigel Naughty Nigel is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Land of the Prince Bishops
Posts: 9,357
Thanks: 375
Thanked 543 Times in 458 Posts
Likes: 3,223
Liked 2,235 Times in 1,476 Posts
Re: No Oly cameras or lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
You can only purchase 'proper' cameras / lenses on line, apart from the odd charity shop find.
Not if you make the pilgrimage to By Beauly in Inverness-shire (IV4 7BQ).

The train journey up there is also very enjoyable.

(Other camera shops are available.)
__________________
---------------

Naughty Nigel


Difficult is worth doing
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
OM USer (3 Weeks Ago)
  #11  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
MJ224's Avatar
MJ224 MJ224 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Carmarthenshire
Posts: 11,906
Thanks: 803
Thanked 612 Times in 570 Posts
Likes: 5,891
Liked 3,185 Times in 1,481 Posts
Re: No Oly cameras or lenses

I know for certain, our "proper" camera shop in the middle of Swansea, (Camera Centre!) has many older cameras on the shelves, both digital and film. Carmarthen Cameras are the same, shelfloads of very big Canon and Nikons. Just take your pick, personally, I like what I have, and have no urges to regress. The IBIS is the what I want and like...…..
__________________
My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
MikeOxon MikeOxon is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: oxford
Posts: 500
Thanks: 45
Thanked 84 Times in 73 Posts
Likes: 54
Liked 197 Times in 127 Posts
Re: No Oly cameras or lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
Oh gosh, we are lucky here... We have LCE and Jessops as well as John Lewis and PC world to try and buy things..........
I only switched to Olympus because I saw one, picked it up, and tried it, in John Lewis
__________________
Mike
visit my Natural History Photos website:
http://home.btconnect.com/mike.flemming/
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Jax Jax is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 705
Thanks: 110
Thanked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Likes: 332
Liked 187 Times in 125 Posts
Re: No Oly cameras or lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
You can only purchase 'proper' cameras / lenses on line, apart from the odd charity shop find.
I thought you lived in Lancashire ? There are at least 10 camera shops listed in Preston alone, including Jessops and Wilkinsons. Many more elsewhere in Lancs.

If youre referring to "proper" as being film, then maybe online, charity shops and antique fairs is the only option

Jax
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
benvendetta's Avatar
benvendetta benvendetta is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pontypool, South Wales
Posts: 3,740
Thanks: 83
Thanked 296 Times in 261 Posts
Likes: 166
Liked 337 Times in 227 Posts
Re: No Oly cameras or lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
I know for certain, our "proper" camera shop in the middle of Swansea, (Camera Centre!) has many older cameras on the shelves, both digital and film. Carmarthen Cameras are the same, shelfloads of very big Canon and Nikons. Just take your pick, personally, I like what I have, and have no urges to regress. The IBIS is the what I want and like.....
Cardiff Camera Centre is the same - loads and loads of old kit, cases, bags, flashes, filters, caps. You name it, it's there either in boxes or in display cases.
__________________
Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Naughty Nigel's Avatar
Naughty Nigel Naughty Nigel is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Land of the Prince Bishops
Posts: 9,357
Thanks: 375
Thanked 543 Times in 458 Posts
Likes: 3,223
Liked 2,235 Times in 1,476 Posts
Re: No Oly cameras or lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
If youre referring to "proper" as being film, then maybe online, charity shops and antique fairs is the only option

Jax
Correct. Film is 'proper' photography.
__________________
---------------

Naughty Nigel


Difficult is worth doing
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Jax (3 Weeks Ago)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FOUND S/H Oly lenses at Harrison Cameras Simon Bee For sale or wanted small ads 0 6th January 2017 10:14 PM
FOUND 20% off some Oly lenses @ Park Cameras Beagletorque For sale or wanted small ads 1 23rd December 2016 09:23 PM
20% off all Oly Lenses at Park Cameras Beagletorque The lounge 15 26th November 2016 11:38 PM
For sale Clear Out 4/3 Lenses / Cameras timphoto1 For sale or wanted small ads 1 7th April 2014 10:24 PM
HELP! Updating Cameras & Lenses Benedict The lounge 3 16th February 2013 06:33 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:42 AM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger