Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 20th May 2019

Liked 187 Times in 125 Posts
Re: Gmail Tracks Your Purchase History

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
I have been using Gmail since its initial launch back in 2004 and it has not done me any harm. I use it knowing the risks, so far so good. So 15 x 40 = 600 I have saved to spend on other essential Oly gear

I totally understand nothing is free but I certainly don't have your faith in Microsoft or any service provider whatever they claim or charge. They are all looking to make a profit and if they don't then they deserve to go bust!
Of course any company looks to make a profit

What IS in question however is the means and methods they adopt to make that profit. In the case of Google and Gmail it is one of the most invasive information harvesters out there. If anyone actually believes they don't pass the harvested info on to 3rd parties then I suggest a reality check is urgently needed.

Jax
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (20th May 2019)
Old 22nd May 2019

Liked 836 Times in 537 Posts

I use a medieval e-mail app called Eudora. It works, it's more or less immune to attacks, and it stores all my e-mail locally. Web-based e-mail has always seemed like a solution looking for a problem to me. I very rarely log in to Microsoft, Google etc.
Old 22nd May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
I use a medieval e-mail app called Eudora. It works, it's more or less immune to attacks, and it stores all my e-mail locally. Web-based e-mail has always seemed like a solution looking for a problem to me. I very rarely log in to Microsoft, Google etc.
If you are a Windows user, surely every time you turn on the PC you are logging into Microsoft, or am I misunderstanding something as usual ?

Jax
Old 22nd May 2019

Liked 3,033 Times in 1,636 Posts

Quote:
Do you think Microsoft doesn't track you?
Where I go is tracked in many ways but what I do is another matter. Most transactions are via PayPal. They have to be secure or they will go out of business.

Harold
Jax (22nd May 2019)
Old 22nd May 2019

Liked 3,033 Times in 1,636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by throt View Post
We are monitored every way possible. At least around here there are no smart toilets.
I'm convinced there is plenty of ***** technology out there.

Harold
Old 22nd May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
If you are a Windows user, surely every time you turn on the PC you are logging into Microsoft, or am I misunderstanding something as usual ?

Jax

If you boot into Windows you are logging in to Windows and MS will know you're there. I don't log in to my Windows account though - at least not knowingly. I don't (and won't) use Chrome or Edge in the (possibly mistaken) belief that Mozilla do not harvest personal information via Firefox.

I have also started using private browsing when I visit media websites that refuse to let me browse without accepting cookies so that any tracking cookies are deleted when I close the browser window.
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto For This Useful Post:
Jax (22nd May 2019)
Old 22nd May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
Where I go is tracked in many ways but what I do is another matter. Most transactions are via PayPal. They have to be secure or they will go out of business.

Harold

Not wishing to pollute this thread with politics but be aware that PayPal payments in foreign currencies are converted to sterling before being credited to your account. This allows Farage to claim his Brexit Party does not take payments in foreign currencies.
Old 22nd May 2019

Liked 634 Times in 426 Posts

The Google purchases thing could come in handy but frankly I don’t care who or what tracks me.
I use Gmail, have done for years, I log in very occasionally to a Microsoft email account. I regularly update a couple of W10 VMs, I make extensive use of a smartphone when out and if travelling abroad.
There are various things I don’t do, mainly around on-line banking, certainly don’t do it or have any apps on any mobile devices. Saying that, I do use Apple Pay! Oops!
Old 22nd May 2019

Liked 1,429 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
If you boot into Windows you are logging in to Windows and MS will know you're there. I don't log in to my Windows account though - at least not knowingly. I don't (and won't) use Chrome or Edge in the (possibly mistaken) belief that Mozilla do not harvest personal information via Firefox.

I have also started using private browsing when I visit media websites that refuse to let me browse without accepting cookies so that any tracking cookies are deleted when I close the browser window.
If you use private browsing I think you are correct in saying that cookies are deleted when you close the browser window. BUT Your internet provider has a copy of every site you visited and every page you viewed on that site.

Or maybe even private browsing can be tracked it seems.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2865...cher-says.html

My Flickr
Old 22nd May 2019

Quote:
At the risk of repeating what I've previously stated, I use a couple of VPN providers, no tracking problems, no spam, no search related advertising, I don't fully understand why this prevents all the above, but I would never use a PC without a VPN now.

Jax
Old 22nd May 2019

Liked 1,429 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
At the risk of repeating what I've previously stated, I use a couple of VPN providers, no tracking problems, no spam, no search related advertising, I don't fully understand why this prevents all the above, but I would never use a PC without a VPN now.

Jax
Opera uses VPN as standard.

My Flickr
Old 22nd May 2019

Quote:
Opera uses VPN as standard.
Indeed it does but the Opera VPN only works within the Opera browser. If you use any other browser it has no effect. Other VPN's cover all your activity no matter where you go or what browser you're using.

Jax
Old 22nd May 2019

Liked 2,241 Times in 1,482 Posts

Quote:
Depending on your settings your emails will still remain online in a mail server somewhere. Some email clients provide the option to delete emails after successful download but most do not.

Quote:
Not wishing to pollute this thread with politics but be aware that PayPal payments in foreign currencies are converted to sterling before being credited to your account. This allows Farage to claim his Brexit Party does not take payments in foreign currencies.
Farage will be enjoying punitive exchange rates then.

I tried to transfer a bundle of Euros from PayPal to my Barclays Euro account (in the hope of improved exchange rates) but PayPal insisted on changing them into GBP first.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
Jax (22nd May 2019)
Old 22nd May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Depending on your settings your emails will still remain online in a mail server somewhere. Some email clients provide the option to delete emails after successful download but most do not.
Eudora deletes e-mails from the server after download by default. Mailwasher Pro allows me to inspect spam and other potentially unwanted e-mails and delete them without downloading.

I don't suppose Farage is too bothered about an extra percentage point or two of commission on his foreign currency donations if it allows him to hide the source!
Old 22nd May 2019

Liked 634 Times in 426 Posts

All this talk of an old email client, anyone remember (fondly, in my case) Turnpike? It was standard from Demon Internet, DOS based but pretty powerful with some useful features I’ve never seen since. I think I might have moved to Eudora once Turnpike became a Windows app, I’ve certainly used it in the past at some point.