Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 23rd April 2019

Liked 651 Times in 282 Posts
Ruminating on raw vs JPEG...

And actually wondering if the OOC JPEG has had its day, at least for the enthusiast/pro level photographers.... With the Pen F, and recent Adobe enhancements to its software I see two conflicting phenomena:
  • A bewilderingly customisable JPEG engine, to the extent I never seem to take just one image of a scene.
  • One click raw processing (Adobe Sensei combined with Adobe's greatly enhanced raw profiles) that mostly seems to get it right or close to right.

In other words, I think we find ourselves in a place where shootig to output (JPEG) can actually be more effort than shooting to develop (raw).

Oddly, this brings me to my own Leica bug (which I'm determined not to spend any hard earned money on) because Leica actually made a digital M with no LCD screen that shoots DNG only.
Old 23rd April 2019
Administrator

Liked 1,559 Times in 894 Posts
Re: Ruminating on raw vs JPEG...

Considering that jpg is an agreed system for compression of data, what that data is and represents can be anything, but for us is invariably an image. How the camera manipulated the sensor data, is highly variable by the user, and always down to individual requirements.

Personally I shoot RAW + JPG with the jpg file containing the data of a 1024 x 768 image with all the camera controls set to factory default. That way I can view these “thumbnails” purely for selection of images that are then processed from the ORFs. Much like a contact sheet was made back in the day...

If I ever need a large jpg file, that gets produced by DXO Optics Pro from the RAW file.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 23rd April 2019

Thanked 1,234 Times in 924 Posts
Liked 5,896 Times in 1,910 Posts

I've been shooting raw exclusively since about 2011. Properly learning PP skills is a vital tool if you want to get your images to be more than snapshots imho. I see so many shots posted online that look flat and lifeless where a little PP would have helped enormously. PP on JPEGs is very limiting so raw really is the only sensible approach.

I'd go so far as to say that raw + PP is essential if you want to consistently produce images that are more than snapshots.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following Users Liked This Post:
DerekW (24th April 2019), Grumpy Hec (24th April 2019), MJ224 (23rd April 2019), Naughty Nigel (25th April 2019)
Old 23rd April 2019

Liked 105 Times in 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
Considering that jpg is an agreed system for compression of data, what that data is and represents can be anything, but for us is invariably an image. How the camera manipulated the sensor data, is highly variable by the user, and always down to individual requirements.

Personally I shoot RAW + JPG with the jpg file containing the data of a 1024 x 768 image with all the camera controls set to factory default. That way I can view these “thumbnails” purely for selection of images that are then processed from the ORFs. Much like a contact sheet was made back in the day...

If I ever need a large jpg file, that gets produced by DXO Optics Pro from the RAW file.
Do something very similar myself, use the jpegs to whittle down numbers.
Keeper raw files then get processed in Lightroom ready for printing, I do use some tweaked jpegs for displaying on the web.
Storage and ram is so cheap no reason in my opinion not to use both.
Old 24th April 2019

Thanked 1,361 Times in 1,256 Posts
Liked 2,203 Times in 1,052 Posts

I do something similar to both of you too. I just didn't think of reducing the jpg saved file size down to save space, Doh! that's a great but obvious tip wish I'd thought of it myself before. Thanks Graham and Tram.
Old 25th April 2019

Liked 2,234 Times in 1,475 Posts

Like others here I use ORF files almost exclusively, but for work purposes I also save a JPG file at 1600 x 1200.

Apart from being useful for selection purposes the JPG files are small enough to be saved to DropBox and uploaded before travelling home. That way, even if I somehow managed to lose everything I would still have useable image files with enough detail and resolution to use in my reports.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 25th April 2019

Liked 105 Times in 36 Posts

Hmmm I'm going to put the cat amongst the pigeons here.... Mostly I use Fuji bodies and having set up the JPEGs the way I like them, I hardly ever use raw. Raw + JPEG for important shoots but even then the raws are generally kept just in case - the JPEGs have been good enough for commercial use eg theatre flyers and I've better things to do with my time than spend a lot of it doing PP on the computer! Blue touch paper well and truly lit
Old 25th April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSchick View Post
Hmmm I'm going to put the cat amongst the pigeons here.... Mostly I use Fuji bodies and having set up the JPEGs the way I like them, I hardly ever use raw. Raw + JPEG for important shoots but even then the raws are generally kept just in case - the JPEGs have been good enough for commercial use eg theatre flyers and I've better things to do with my time than spend a lot of it doing PP on the computer! Blue touch paper well and truly lit
The fact is that most photographs end up as Jpegs unless they are printed.

If your subject matter allows in camera processing then all well and good, but even with the Jpeg defaults set to my liking the output simply doesn't meet my needs. For starters the lack of an in-camera ND grad filter is a major limitation for me.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 25th April 2019
Administrator

Liked 490 Times in 272 Posts

I shoot ORF + full sized JPEGs.

Cards and Disk are cheap, and if I can use the OOC full sized for something (which for many of the purposes I need them are absolutely fine, then it's there with no further effort. I use DXO when I want to get something more from the ORF.

regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 26th April 2019

Liked 651 Times in 282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post
I shoot ORF + full sized JPEGs.

Cards and Disk are cheap, and if I can use the OOC full sized for something (which for many of the purposes I need them are absolutely fine, then it's there with no further effort. I use DXO when I want to get something more from the ORF.

regards
Andy
Likewise. I shoot both and pick whichever works best in the moment.
Old 26th April 2019

The Jpeg files are quick and easy to browse through to see which are keepers and which have potential.

It would be handy if on deleting the Jpeg of 'no hopers' that the ORF file could also be deleted.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing