Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 22nd April 2019

Liked 1,917 Times in 1,141 Posts
Interesting statistics

https://nikonrumors.com/2019/04/22/o...-cameras.aspx/

on flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (23rd April 2019)
Old 23rd April 2019

Liked 2,234 Times in 1,475 Posts
Re: Interesting statistics

Hmmm. I think you could read almost anything that you want into those statistics. It would be just as valid to say that 99.99% of electricians use a screwdriver!

What the statistics do tell us is that 'more than 70% of the word's photojournalists use Nikon or Canon full-frame DSLR cameras' which should hardly be a surprise. They also tell us that these photojournalists use what they have in their bags when taking photographs for the World Press Photo competition. That should be a lesson to all of us.

Interestingly, the cameras represented at the top of the list are not necessarily the latest produced by Canon or Nikon, which again should be a lesson to us all, although I am interested to see that the Pentax 645z and various Leica cameras receive honourable mentions towards the bottom of the charts.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 23rd April 2019

Liked 1,414 Times in 693 Posts

Old habits die hard as the saying goes.

My Flickr
Old 23rd April 2019

The stats inform me that Canon and Nikon would be mad to drop the DSLR in favour of the mirrorless cameras they're bringing to market. They only need to look at the ranking of Sony to get the message.
Also professionals need high reliability offered by product maturity, and the DSLR is the tool having 50 year's heritage based on the SLR. Why change? I also think there's a lot to be said for the optical fiewfinder compared to an abstraction produced by an electronic viewfinder. I use optical viewfinder SLRs, mirrorless (u4/3) and optical viewfinder rangefinders. On a personal level I prefer to use the optical devices. But that's just a personal expression.

on flickr
Old 23rd April 2019

Liked 2,234 Times in 1,475 Posts

Yes. Interesting to see that Olympus, as one of the mainstream manufacturers, doesn't even get a mention.

As for viewfinders, my personal favourite is the Waist Level Finder, but I accept that doesn't suit everybody. I don't dislike the EVF on my OM-D's as they are bright and do at least provide some clues as to which parts of a scene are within the cameras primary dynamic range.

The large, bright viewfinders on my old OM cameras were a joy to use, especially with a fast prime lens on the front, but the small image circle and limited amount of light hitting the mirror in Four Thirds cameras was always going to provide a disappointing viewfinder experience.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 23rd April 2019

Having used a WLF I know exactly the benefit compositionally, particularly when the left becomes the right, and vice-versa. I've watched the Don McCullin 'Looking for England' twice now (highly recommended incidentally, and only two days remaining on BBC iplayer) seeing the grand master at work. The BIG camera is infinitely less intimidating than the 35mm, it seems, but I guess anyone would happily allow Sir Don to 'make' their picture, I certainly would be overjoyed, to say the least.
I hadn't thought about image circle in relation to 4/3 and the DSLR, thank you for that. Talk about the need for fast lenses..., but surprising so many 4/3 users used slow zoom lenses.

on flickr
Old 23rd April 2019

When asked by others why I bother using a rangefinder, one of the resons I put forward is to do with the subtleties of composition, such as absolute dof. Such matters have to be in the photographer's head (yes there are clues offered by the dof markings on the lens - aperture v distance - but you need to use your imagination). What better way for training the mind's eye?

on flickr
Old 23rd April 2019

Liked 652 Times in 282 Posts

I think the statistics merely reflect the fact that a bag full of lenses, and a deep familiarity with one system or another, represents an awful lot of inertia.