Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 18th April 2019

Liked 187 Times in 125 Posts
Re: Conflicting Info from Olympus re 3 Year Extended Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdb2 View Post
Hi Dave thanks for the heads up on warranties. I have been in contact with Olympus and had a long in depth reply. Both Em1mk2 were still in date with my warranties.
The eldest runs out in May (next month). I was considering the elite service and was a little daunted at £345 for both cameras with the extended 3 year warranty.
Any one have any thoughts on the upgrade?
Kind regards Mike
It depends if you're the sort of person who prefers peace of mind and likes everything insured. Some people do and some don't.

In this case it's more expensive as you have 2 cameras. Given the cost of repairs in the event of a problem, £57.50 per year for each camera does not seem too unreasonable but of course it has to be a personal decision only you can make. The Em1mk2 seems to have been fairly free of niggling faults so far but "sods law" always prevails in such matters.

Jax
Old 18th April 2019

Liked 199 Times in 129 Posts

I recently damaged my E-M1-ii beyond economic repair and it was replaced by my insurer. They would not, however, pay to replace the 3-year extended Warranty nor would Olympus transfer it to the replacement body (although the original was only 6 months old). They did, however, agree a 20% discount on a replacement Warranty.

My decision to take out the extended Warranty was based n the amount of work needed on my first E-M1 - strap lug, rear dial, lens contacts, and shutter failure - all covered under Warranty. It could have been an expensive purchase without that cover, although reports on the E-M1-ii are, so far, encouraging.

ps - I've also had a couple of lens failures, also covered under Warranty.
Old 18th April 2019

Liked 526 Times in 368 Posts

The current EM1 models are getting ready for replacement models to arrive and buying a late version of the EM1 at clearance price might be cheaper than buying an extended warranty for your existing camera.
Old 19th April 2019

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
The current EM1 models are getting ready for replacement models to arrive and buying a late version of the EM1 at clearance price might be cheaper than buying an extended warranty for your existing camera.
Hi Derek.
Thatís a thought! Although I donít think the Em1mk2 will go that low in the next 3 yrs?? Now where was my crystal ball?

I have been tempted with the latest X model, I normally use a grip on my mk2 so there is no difference there. The slightly better focus system and the ND filter sound good. However OLY kept with the same evf and screen thus missing a better camera and not sure if the hefty price hike is a real selling point to me.

I will now stop my muttering happy Easter to all
Kind regards Mike
Old 24th April 2019

Liked 1,282 Times in 304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdb2 View Post
Hi Dave thanks for the heads up on warranties. I have been in contact with Olympus and had a long in depth reply. Both Em1mk2 were still in date with my warranties.
The eldest runs out in May (next month). I was considering the elite service and was a little daunted at £345 for both cameras with the extended 3 year warranty.
Any one have any thoughts on the upgrade?
Kind regards Mike
Hi Mike,

I think you may be confusing Olympus Pro Service and the 3 Year Extended Warranty, they are two separate packages.

The 3 Year Extended Warranty is only that, it extends the manufacturerís warranty for an additional 3 Years and cost £99.99 from Olympus, slightly less elsewhere.

The Pro Service package is the one that put covers servicing and costs circa £345.00.

I like the look of the E-M1X however, while I like the improvements made, I think the cost is high for what is essentially an upgraded E-M1 II.

I may buy one if the price drops substantially however, I suspect Iíll wait to see what the successor to the E-M1 II brings and the price.

Dave
Old 24th April 2019

Liked 1,282 Times in 304 Posts

I’m pleased to confirm that I received the 3 Year Extended Warranties and that Olympus Support have redeemed them against both bodies.

Thanks to Olympus Support for their assistance.

Dave
The Following User Liked This Post:
OM USer (24th April 2019)