Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-1

Olympus E-1 E-1 specific discussion.

Old 8th October 2018

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Why are people returning to the E!?

Just thought i would ask the question above based on what I have read and seen. I purchased an E3 with grip not so long ago and despite using it find myself reaching for my old E1's. Find them easier to use and dare I say better image quality too. What are your thoughts on this?
The Following User Liked This Post:
BDennis (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 8th October 2018

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Re: Why are people returning to the E!?

I know what you mean, my E-3 is good but I still love my E-1, colour IQ handling and it ‘sounds right’! Is that bizarre! It’s not had an outing for a wee while and now I think maybe I should get it out with autumn on the way here in the forest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OM-1n with 28, 50, 100 & T32, E-10 (now deceased), E-1, E-3, EOS1ds mk2 with L glass, Fujifilm X100T
Old 8th October 2018
Administrator

Liked 1,559 Times in 894 Posts

I believe it maybe something to do with the sensor, which I think was a Kodak unit. A lot comment on liking the colours they get.

Bit like listening to vinyl records over CDs.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following Users Liked This Post:
BDennis (3 Weeks Ago), dnic (9th October 2018), Ross the fiddler (9th October 2018)
Old 8th October 2018

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Yes....It is a Kodak CCD sensor. Its a KAF-5101CE developed in close collaboration between Olympus and Kodak.
I find the E1 less trouble to use and the colour saturation is great. Has a solid feel about too. I used the plastic rear screen cover for a while but found it more of hindrance so move to a glare free, hard coated screen protector produced in Germany which is far better.
You can still buy good bodies for under £100 with low shutter actuations. I recently bought a back up body with 1700 actuations in mint condition with all the body caps and hot shoe cover for £69. A total bargain
The Following User Says Thank You to olympus ghillie For This Useful Post:
MJ0RZD (8th October 2018)
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (8th October 2018)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I think it's a bit the same like with old cars - they look good, they were built to last and you need to have some skills to handle it. The practical side is very often irrelevant - now every decent phone has way more pixels. For past several years I haven't had time to use camera much but I remember that I used to had a lot better skills taking and framing a photo. In 5Mpix there was not that much of a room to crop, closest to idiotAuto was P mode, only 3 focus points from what I normally had only the center one and very limited usable ISO range. Last year I planned to give this camera to my now 10y old son to start photography but it ended up him taking my E-M10 instead as it was much lighter and easier to handle for his small hand. Now I'm thinking to get the old E-M1 as the prices have dropped... or to get finally a decent glass for the dinosaur.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 105 Times in 68 Posts

Because one or two people start saying how great they are and others join in.
Not sure if they agree or even like using them, but its trendy to be retro and cool.

In reality most of these items are poor compared to modern offerings.
Using the car analogy who doesn't like power steering and the safety factors of todays vehicles.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,004 Times in 297 Posts

Taken the other day with my 13 year old E1 and the ZD 50mm f2.

Only 5 mp but by Andrew Peter Martin, on Flickr

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Cerebus (3 Weeks Ago), Graham_of_Rainham (3 Weeks Ago), IainMacD (3 Weeks Ago), MJ224 (3 Weeks Ago), steverh (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Codger

Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts

I still have my original E1 and it comes out of the store cupboard every now and then for an outing!

The ergonomics are poor by today's standards but it's built like a tank and the colours are wonderful. I have been cataloguing some images from the mid to late 2000's and here are a couple that were put on Flickr at the time.

Dylan
by Steve Hallam, on Flickr

Selfridges

I ought to re-upload the portrait at a better resolution. I have a lovely A3 print of it which was much admired at camera club last week!

These are from JPGs. I didn't do raw in those days...

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright
MJ224 (3 Weeks Ago), Zuiko (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 294 Times in 185 Posts

"Why are people returning to the E1?" ........

....... Because it's a great camera and an absolute bloody bargain

Simon
son of sid (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 294 Times in 185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverh View Post
I still have my original E1 and it comes out of the store cupboard every now and then for an outing!

The ergonomics are poor by today's standards but it's built like a tank and the colours are wonderful. I have been cataloguing some images from the mid to late 2000's and here are a couple that were put on Flickr at the time.

Dylan

Selfridges

I ought to re-upload the portrait at a better resolution. I have a lovely A3 print of it which was much admired at camera club last week!

These are from JPGs. I didn't do raw in those days...
Great photo's, shows what this so-called dinosaur is capable of.

However I must disagree with you on the ergonomics.... IMO its ergonomics have not been bettered in any DSLR ... period! It fits ones hand like a glove, becoming an extension of ones arm. Balance is perfect, shutter is sublime, ISO/WB/ buttons where they should be, not in some menu.

The E1 was and still is a very underrated camera, if Olympus were ever to build a replacement ( not going to happen I know ) using the same form factor but with just minor tweaks such as IBIS, larger LCD being ideally articulated I wouldn't think twice about buying one. Yes the E3 & E5 had these but I never really bonded with their handling, the E1 is far superior in that regard.

And yes, that Kodak CCD produces wonderful colours if you work within its usable ISO range.

Simon
Jim Ford (3 Weeks Ago), MJ224 (3 Weeks Ago), son of sid (3 Weeks Ago)