Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

View Poll Results: Are you getting fed up with Brexit and should we go back to discussing other things ?
YES - Close the thread 21 47.73%
NO - Keep the debate going on for eternity 23 52.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 5th December 2018

Liked 3,001 Times in 1,620 Posts
Re: Political: We're doomed, Captain Mannering...

My wife, our adult son and I have just received a joint letter from our (Labour) MP.

It states that he intends to vote against the "deal" on 11.

He is also asking for our opinions in a survey, how did we vote in the referendum? (optional) what do we want of for the way forward following the government being defeated?

Options include a softer or harder deal. I don't know what either means, apart from some very vague idea.

All our answers can be filled in on the form supplied (one for for 3 people, Labour finger on the pulse!). We can do it online.

Harold
Old 5th December 2018

Thanked 1,235 Times in 925 Posts
Liked 5,898 Times in 1,911 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
My wife, our adult son and I have just received a joint letter from our (Labour) MP.

It states that he intends to vote against the "deal" on 11.

He is also asking for our opinions in a survey, how did we vote in the referendum? (optional) what do we want of for the way forward following the government being defeated?

Options include a softer or harder deal. I don't know what either means, apart from some very vague idea.

All our answers can be filled in on the form supplied (one for for 3 people, Labour finger on the pulse!). We can do it online.

Harold
It's more than our miserable MP has done (Jeremy Wright, the previous occupier of Attorney General position).
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 5th December 2018

Liked 829 Times in 533 Posts

"Record majority now think Brexit was the wrong decision".
https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top...GofK8OGYCvynYY

If you don't like The New European you can read a similar story in the Times.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b...NOqk1viKMKXY9E
Old 5th December 2018
Administrator

Thanked 3,124 Times in 2,434 Posts
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,085 Posts

It looks like we are heading for a constitutional crisis that will be impossible to resolve. It's ironic that one of the principle reasons given by the Pro Brexit camp for leaving the EU was to restore the sovereignty of Parliament and now it looks possible that Parliament might impose its sovereignty (which it never really lost) to disregard the verdict of the ill-conceived referendum and take advantage of the opinion of the European Court that Article 50 can be unilaterally cancelled by the UK.

To remain in the EU under our current terms would be the sensible and pragmatic solution, but I cannot see those in favour of Brexit accepting this without a fight. This could cause a great deal of unrest and yet further uncertainty. As much as I would like the UK to remain in the EU I do wonder if it might be better to grasp the nettle of hard Brexit and suffer our destitution as punishment, to prove once and for all who was right and who was wrong.

Then, after a suitable period of remorse, we can re-apply for membership of the EU, but of course on vastly less favourable terms than we currently enjoy.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 5th December 2018

Liked 1,557 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
As much as I would like the UK to remain in the EU I do wonder if it might be better to grasp the nettle of hard Brexit and suffer our destitution as punishment, to prove once and for all who was right and who was wrong.

Then, after a suitable period of remorse, we can re-apply for membership of the EU, but of course on vastly less favourable terms than we currently enjoy.
Exactly what I said earlier in the thread!

The Brexit boil needs to be lanced to let all the pus out, otherwise the Brexiteers will endlessly whinge about democracy being subverted and the 'will of the people' being denied. It'll be a painful process though!

Brexit will prove to be like a child being warned not to touch something because it's hot and they will get burned. The child touches the item and then howls with pain!

Jim
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (5th December 2018)
Old 5th December 2018

Liked 1,917 Times in 1,141 Posts

Civil unrest is possible either way. Cancel Brexit and approximately half the country will be extremely annoyed. Hard Brexit will be equally destructive, not only economically but at a societal level with potential unrest and protests, maybe followed by the split-up of the U.K.

What a God almighty mess.

on flickr
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (5th December 2018), Otto (5th December 2018), Zuiko (5th December 2018)
Old 5th December 2018

Liked 1,414 Times in 693 Posts

On 9 June 2015, MPs voted by 544 to 53 in favour of the principle of holding a referendum with only the Scottish National Party opposing the Bill. The voter turnout was 72.2%.

I am in danger of agreeing with the last three posts. Yes its a mess. But - and its a very big BUT, democracy has to be accepted or we have nothing. We should just leave without an agreement Then after a reasonable period of time yes by all means have another referendum to see if we want to rejoin. No one can argue with that.

But Brexit has certainly opened pandoras box and the lid has been lost.

I am not sure the EU as we know it today will still exist in 5-10 years time given the events across Europe in the last 6 months. Populist parties are on the increase and the Elite still wont listen Sweden, Germany, Italy, France, Spain are all seeing the same problem and no one has an answer. More EU is certainly not the fix.

My Flickr
MJ224 (5th December 2018), Naughty Nigel (5th December 2018), Ricoh (5th December 2018)
Old 5th December 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Civil unrest is possible either way. Cancel Brexit and approximately half the country will be extremely annoyed. Hard Brexit will be equally destructive, not only economically but at a societal level with potential unrest and protests, maybe followed by the split-up of the U.K.

What a God almighty mess.
My gut feeling is that the likelihood of civil unrest will be greater if we don't leave, because the Brexiteers seem to me to be a more aggressive lot with many extreme right wingers!

Jim
Bengeo (5th December 2018), Ricoh (5th December 2018)
Old 5th December 2018

Liked 3,182 Times in 1,479 Posts

I am a fan of Theresa, she has battled on against all odds, a woman of sincere duty and aplomb. BUT, I listen to her critics, at least critics of her solution, and begin to feel that there is no satisfactory solution for a "deal". So despite being a Remainer, I am thinking a clean break is the only viable solution. We can leave the Irish border to technology, and hopefully some co-operation from the EU on this matter. After all , its their border as well.

As for our constitution, our MP's have to save that, and be respectful of that.

EU does really need to modify its game, it gave nothing to Cameron in his hour of need, and seems to bully the Southern Europe countries. It needs to be modified from top to bottom. Alas I am not savvy enough to suggest what and how this can be done. But the lack of accountability is one of the Brexitiers prime reasons for leaving....

My Flickr
Naughty Nigel (5th December 2018), wornish (5th December 2018)
Old 5th December 2018
Administrator

Thanked 3,124 Times in 2,434 Posts
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,085 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
My gut feeling is that the likelihood of civil unrest will be greater if we don't leave, because the Brexiteers seem to me to be a more aggressive lot with many extreme right wingers!

Jim
It appears that UKIP has become too extreme even for Nigel Farage, now that Tommy Robinson is on board.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Naughty Nigel (5th December 2018)
Old 5th December 2018

Liked 161 Times in 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Exactly what I said earlier in the thread!
Several times in fact, albeit worded slightly differently.

Darkroom
Old 5th December 2018

Liked 161 Times in 104 Posts

Quote:
It appears that UKIP has become too extreme even for Nigel Farage, now that Tommy Robinson is on board.
Farage is probably quite happy with his new vocation, advising his good friend Donald Trump on all things Brexit

Darkroom
Old 5th December 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkroom View Post
Several times in fact, albeit worded slightly differently.

Darkroom
... and I see it's sinking in (except maybe not in you - except to nitpick) because I see that others are coming round to the same way of thinking!

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Ford For This Useful Post:
Darkroom (5th December 2018)
Darkroom (5th December 2018)
Old 5th December 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
But the lack of accountability is one of the Brexitiers prime reasons for leaving.
I understand that the way the EU works is that it's accountable to the member states through their MEPs. Barnier, Junker, Tusk etc. are servants of and accountable to the European Parliament.

Jim
Otto (5th December 2018)
Old 5th December 2018

Liked 829 Times in 533 Posts

Quote:

James O'Brien put it rather well - "Farage quitting UKIP for being too racist is like the Pope quitting the Vatican for being too Catholic".
Bengeo (5th December 2018), Jim Ford (5th December 2018)
Closed Thread