Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Photo challenges

Photo challenges Meet the challenge of posting your photos in fun competitions set by e-group users, or set one yourself!

Old 26th September 2017

Liked 1,485 Times in 558 Posts
Re: Monthly Photo Challenge - Forthcoming Themes

I will be going out to take photos for the competition, but that's a personal preference.

During the initial discussions it was clear that my view was in the minority so therefore as far as I'm concerned any photo can count, but I'd like to encourage people to make the effort to do something specific if possible!

The only proviso is it's using Olympus equipment somewhere, either body or lens.

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
The Following User Liked This Post:
AMc (27th September 2017)
Old 26th September 2017

Liked 3,181 Times in 1,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
So I just have to search through all my files and pull out any photo that meets the monthly topic. Not as demanding as having to go and actually make an effort each month to capture something new.

That said I will go with whatever people on here want. I am just glad the challenge is starting again. Thanks for volunteering, Paul also.
The way I look at it is that photo taken last year at Christmas won't get many votes for a Autumnal Mist subject. Thus any photo is time relevant. If you took a brilliant photo last year that suits the subject, then a good photo is a good photo whatever.

My thoughts are that a time limits for the photo will not suit everyone, and might put people off who cannot get that subject photo'd during the period allowed.

However, there may be a case for a three month limit, again lets have more thoughts and opinions please.

Mark j

My Flickr
Old 26th September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walti View Post
I will be going out to take photos for the competition, but that's a personal preference.

During the initial discussions it was clear that my view was in the minority so therefore as far as I'm concerned any photo can count, but I'd like to encourage people to make the effort to do something specific if possible!

The only proviso is it's using Olympus equipment somewhere, either body or lens.
Agreed.............

Mark J

My Flickr
Old 26th September 2017

Liked 233 Times in 201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
Gordon Bennett, suddenly gone very quiet here..............

Not sure what qualifications the volunteer will need, I would have thought they should have been on the Oly Forum for some time, which rules me out!!

If no-one else volunteers, I am only too happy to do the biz,..

Retired, good internet, sense of humour, and/but won't be offended if Iso, or other longer serving members stand up for the job..............

Come on guys............

Mark - Bad timing from me, picking this up at this late stage. I absolutely feel you are the right person to shoulder the challenge. I have always liked your postings and my reputation (and sometimes behaviour), on the Forum should exclude me from any serious activity.

I see from later Posts I have yet to reply to, that organisation is well on the way. Good Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to iso For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (26th September 2017)
Old 26th September 2017

Just to say I suggest we give the above some thought for 48 hours or so, so all are in a position to read/air their views......

Subject to that we go live (you know what I mean ) on Friday 'ish. Then the October comp will be open, and future subjects confirmed...

My only other clarification is that any multiple votes (Likes) will all be invalid

Mark j

My Flickr
Old 26th September 2017

Liked 233 Times in 201 Posts

Dave & Walti - Lets give Mark his first headache - I agree with you two. Surely the shot has to have been taken within a reasonable time frame. Otherwise we could have scans of shots taken with a 35-I in 1948. (Actually that could be good). Seriously an unlimited time frame favours those who have been at it longest, and does not encourage newcomers? How would 3 months fit??
wornish (26th September 2017)
Old 26th September 2017

Liked 1,485 Times in 558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iso View Post
Dave & Walti - Lets give Mark his first headache - I agree with you two. Surely the shot has to have been taken within a reasonable time frame. Otherwise we could have scans of shots taken with a 35-I in 1948. (Actually that could be good). Seriously an unlimited time frame favours those who have been at it longest, and does not encourage newcomers? How would 3 months fit??
I actually agree with that, BUT when the competition was fully discussed before it started, this was discounted as the limitation was seen as too restrictive, so let us leave the status quo for now, while Mark and I get on top of it and review it in a couple of months, For Example, make the Christmas one a "this year only" competition, to see how it goes...

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
Old 26th September 2017

Liked 708 Times in 475 Posts

Quote:
Not having a time frame was one of the specific things that the consensus seemed to want when we set the challenges up this way.

The previous version of the forum challenges had strict time limits - the shots had to be taken during the period of that challenge. That format of challenge was initially very popular but gradually support dwindled away to almost nothing, to the extent that it became a bit of an embarrassment. One reason that some members gave was that shooting within a time frame like that was too demanding.

Maybe there is a middle way between the two. But whatever we specify there will be some who like it and some who don't. I did wonder if perhaps one month we could have a topic of "this month" in which photos had to be taken within the time limits, and probably add some constraint on subject/theme as well.

I would suggest that since we still seem to be getting entries and comments, the sensible thing is to leave it as it is. Once the entries start to dry up we can do another lap of all the arguments and alternatives.

John
The Following Users Liked This Post:
MJ224 (27th September 2017), The Technician (27th September 2017), wornish (26th September 2017)
Old 26th September 2017

Quote:
Presumably your scanner would have to produce EXIF that shows its a Oly camera or lens or scanner..........

My idea of having a three month timing is that you could take a photo three months in advance of published subject. That would give us chance to think ahead.

Just thoughts. I note that John did agree to having certain months time based. The December one could be that perhaps............

My Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to MJ224 For This Useful Post:
iso (28th September 2017)
Old 26th September 2017

Liked 1,414 Times in 693 Posts

If the challenge was called "My archives are better than yours" then fine call it that.

If its a monthly challenge then surely its about shots taken that month - if it means we get less posts then ok fine. Bottom line is I thought it was meant to be a challenge not an archive search.

Yes of course good pictures taken in the past are still good pictures but where is the challenge to try and do something new. I for one don't want to see repeat posts of the same "good" picture. Seems I am rocking the boat so I will shut up.

Whatever, I will participate if I take a shot that month that is worth sharing.

My Flickr
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wornish For This Useful Post:
iso (28th September 2017), MJ224 (26th September 2017)
AMc (27th September 2017), iso (28th September 2017)
Old 26th September 2017

Yes I see your point.

More views for our competition please...

Mark j..

My Flickr
Old 27th September 2017

Liked 596 Times in 314 Posts

Quote:
Please remember that this is an international forum and this friendly competition is only a healthy way of making friends around the world.

So if you say Fall pictures, down south is Spring 3 months, well that would be Winter. Where can one get Fall pictures

And me, from the equator, there is either Sunny, Cloudy or Rain. We don't even get a white winter (wait, there is Hail stones) So why not make the duration within 2 years.

All my garbage so far.
OM USer (27th September 2017)
Old 27th September 2017

Liked 596 Times in 314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
Presumably your scanner would have to produce EXIF that shows its a Oly camera or lens or scanner..........

My idea of having a three month timing is that you could take a photo three months in advance of published subject. That would give us chance to think ahead.

Just thoughts. I note that John did agree to having certain months time based. The December one could be that perhaps............
Get an Olympus scanner

All my garbage so far.
iso (28th September 2017), MJ224 (27th September 2017)
Old 27th September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post
Please remember that this is an international forum and this friendly competition is only a healthy way of making friends around the world.

So if you say Fall pictures, down south is Spring 3 months, well that would be Winter. Where can one get Fall pictures

And me, from the equator, there is either Sunny, Cloudy or Rain. We don't even get a white winter (wait, there is Hail stones) So why not make the duration within 2 years.
Yes I did think of that late last night...

Will have to work around that with a bit of verbal trickery......

Thanks for bringing it up...

My Flickr
iso (28th September 2017)
Old 27th September 2017
Administrator

Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,219 Posts
Liked 1,627 Times in 723 Posts

I think we need to strike a balance. This is actually a UK forum that warmly welcomes members from anywhere in the world.

Of course we should be flexible. However, it has always been the strategy that the e-group is UK-focused and Four Thirds User is not tied to one region.

FTU is in need of continuing development and improvement to bring it back up to full speed, but my aim is to continue the same strategy.

Of course members from either site are very welcome on both sites, but I think what the focus should be on each site should be accordingly different.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (27th September 2017)