Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Photo challenges

Photo challenges Meet the challenge of posting your photos in fun competitions set by e-group users, or set one yourself!

Old 1st February 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
13th Challenge...Warmth...RESULTS!

Congratulations to everyone who entered. There were 15 entries, all great shots.

I'm happy to announce the winner of the 13th E-Forum Challenge Warmth as
Snapper1609 with 3. Body Warmers with 24 points

In 2nd place with 17 points is
Ellie with 11. Warm as Toast

and in joint 3rd place with 13 points each are
Makonde with 6. Firecrackle
Sebzy with 8. My fire blanket

It's over to the winners to give us a wee recap of there shots and Snapper1609 to take the reins for the next competition.

Sus
Old 1st February 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 13th Challenge...Warmth...RESULTS!

Wow - thanks to all those who voted for my "Body Warmers" - to say I'm surprised is an understatement but thanks again. There were some excellent ideas put forward and I particularly liked the images of the open fires. Thanks Susan for organising the Challenge.

"Body Warmers" was the result of sifting through about 60 odd attempts at composition, backgrounds and lighting. I used the e3 on a tripod set up in our dining room, and the 40-150mm kit lens with the FL50r flash unit (thank you Olympus for the free flash unit). I also experimented with using two additional homemade lights. The background eventually used was just a black sheet.

I have to say that not a drop of whiskey was wasted in the production of this image

Not a lot of image manipulation was involved except some minor satuation and contrast adjustments and some cropping. Oh forgot - I had to clone out some dog hairs that were showing up on the black gloves

Will post up the new theme by midnight 1st February

thanks again

Terry
(snapper1609)
Old 1st February 2009
Makonde

Some very nice pics in this one i thought, and congrats to snapper and Elie forthe two that were for me outstanding as well as on theme.

Firecrackle: I didn't have much time so thoughts of setting up e.g. a steaming cup of coffee or outstretched hands by a fire went unfulfilled. I shot just a warm cat and the fire - neither very original! The main problem with the fire, at a pub, was that it was very hot... composition therefore suffered a bit as I took three quick ones.... The colour was compressed in Lab colour to concentrate the reds and a bit of sharpening applied with some edge contrast on the crackly flames. I felt the result conveyed loads of warmth but the composition was the weak point in this photo.
Old 1st February 2009
Makonde

PS I've just read your note Terry, and the work in composition was well worthwhile! I was interested and pleased to see the 40-150mm in there - I think it is a very good lens indeed and unbeatable for the money.
Old 8th February 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Goodness me! Thank you everybody who voted for my picture, I'm not in the least surprised by the clear winner. Well done Terry

Mine was quite difficult to get the way I wanted. I burnt too many slices of bread before working out that it needed to be damp to make it last a bit longer, and by then there wasn't much left - which is why it was cut into a triangle.
Once I'd sorted that out the next hardest thing was not to "blow" the flames.

Two people would have been useful, one putting the bread to the flames and me with the camera.