Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Closed Thread

Old 24th April 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,124 Times in 2,434 Posts
Liked 4,397 Times in 2,086 Posts
Question about Question Time (Political)

I've just watched the traditional bun fight that is "Question Time" on BBC1 and David Dimbleby revealed a change of format for next week's program. It will feature the leaders of the three main political parties, but not together on a panel as is customary. Instead they will each individually face questions from the audience for a half hour slot. This seems to me to be quite extraordinary, considering they will all be present in the same studio. I wonder which one lacks the courage of his convictions and confidence in his party's policies to the extent that he feels unable to participate in a live general debate with his opponents? Or does that apply to all of them?

This really is a weird General Election campaign and politics in this country seem to have sunk to a new low. Apparently the Institute for Fiscal Studies has said that non of the main party manifestos have enough information about how the promises will be funded to enable voters to make a rational choice. I don't even know which parties will be represented in our constituency, but if there is the opportunity to vote for a minority party I think I will do so, as the only viable means of protest other than not voting at all.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 24th April 2015

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts
Re: Question about Question Time (Political)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
but if there is the opportunity to vote for a minority party I think I will do so, as the only viable means of protest other than not voting at all.
I'm with you there John or we just end up with the same old same o and nothing changes,lets hope others have the courage of their convictions to send a message and change the political scene.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (24th April 2015)
Old 24th April 2015

Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts

I'm confused. Three main parties?

If we look at the polls there are only two. The Lib/Dems have been revealed to be what they always were a Janus party telling Tory supporters one thing and Labour supporters another.

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/42941818@N07/
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (24th April 2015), Zuiko (24th April 2015)
Old 24th April 2015

Thanked 1,111 Times in 696 Posts
Liked 1,444 Times in 723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by byegad View Post

If we look at the polls there are only two. The Lib/Dems have been revealed to be what they always were a Janus party telling Tory supporters one thing and Labour supporters another.
I'm just confused?

The voting public this time around are caught between a brick and a hard place, even more so than in previous elections. Deliberate obfuscation from all of the main parties doesn't help. The IFS statement say's it all.

The Monster Raving Loony Party are looking a better prospect each day. At least we would know for sure that the lunatics really are running the asylum.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Grumpy Hec (24th April 2015), Zuiko (24th April 2015)
Old 24th April 2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by byegad View Post

The three main parties as they stand at the moment - not as they are likely to be after the election when their position may well have changed fundamentally, in particular the Liberal Democrats. Time will tell!

Meanwhile, I remember a song by the Edgar Broughton Band from the '70s which went something like this:-

My mother voted Tory
Daddy voted Red
Now they all want me to be liberal
But we're all dropping out instead

No you won't get my vote
You ain't got a hope
I know what's already mine
I'll take what I want
And keep what I have
It's time to draw the line!

THRRRRRP to you and THRRRRRP to you
And all of you in Whitehall!!
(i.e blowing a raspberry and sticking 2 fingers up etc)

The MP's are flying their flag up high
While my friends lie dead upon the street
You can take my money and blind my eyes
You can even drill holes in my feet
But there's one thing I won't give you my friend
An end for all of your plans
You are all crazy
And I don't mean you're insane!!

THRRRRRP etc.

Here it is on You Tube. I think they should re-release it now - it would surely go to No1. But Edgar never was interested in materialistic exploitation, shame he never went into politics!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 24th April 2015
Administrator

I've been thinking, they say that not voting is a waste of your vote but isn't it a bit like your virginity, best saved for someone who really deserves it?

Old 24th April 2015

I see a certain bank has intimated ot has intentions to move out of £ondon? Having been fined like most other banks, then found to have been in tax avoidance/evasion equals more hefty fines in the offing. They - the shareholders - have decided enough is enough when it comes to loss of profits. The current bet is a move to HK, now part of China who is presently routing out corruption.

This begs the question... what do they know that's in the frying pan... that we don't?

Old 24th April 2015
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

I very much agree that the quality of politics and in particular this election campaign have sunk to an all time low.

The campaign has been very negative and personal with Cameron in particular sinking to far too many personal attacks like some petulant schoolboy. The others are only slightly better. The sight of the large Tory poster I drive past each morning which is a simple slagging off Labour exercise is the most disheartening experience.

As for the policy promises. These are even more overt nonsense than they always are. We all know few of them will happen and in many cases the precise opposite is likely.

As for the SNP posturing. I find their unbelievable arrogance hard to take with Mr Salmond a most odious individual. No dis-resepct to forum members from north of the border but the prospect of a party with such an overtly narrow agenda concerned with one particular part of the UK spouting forth threats about effectively ruling the whole UK via another party to be a genuinely horrible and frightening. My heart would sink if they did get to such a strong position of influence. What could potentially come of that is an almost terrifying prospect.

Sadly my constituency is true blue with an especially slimy career politician who demonstrably cares nothing about local affairs almost certain to be returned again.

If only the Monster Raving Looney party were standing I could register a protest vote.

Better still a box on the ballot sheet against the phrase - "They're all deceitful self serving swines and I want none of them"

Rant over

Hec
Old 24th April 2015

@ Grumpy Hec

Where I live the same applies, just a different colour. I think there is a very large section of the public who want, nay crave a change in politics but are stymied at the post as it is the same old faces on the ballot papers. What we have at present is political gang warfare which, in the end, serves them better than it does the public.

Not exactly an encouraging thought.

As for Zuiko's thoughts on 'virgin territory'... is there such a thing in politics?

Old 24th April 2015

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
I see a certain bank has intimated ot has intentions to move out of £ondon? Having been fined like most other banks, then found to have been in tax avoidance/evasion equals more hefty fines in the offing. They - the shareholders - have decided enough is enough when it comes to loss of profits. The current bet is a move to HK, now part of China who is presently routing out corruption.

This begs the question... what do they know that's in the frying pan... that we don't?
That's not quite the situation.

HSBC (Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation) is originally (and still partly) a Hong Kong bank and only moved its HQ to London when it bought the Midland Bank in 1992.

HSBC has carried out a review of it's HQ location every three years since then up to the recent banking crisis. The Board of Directors (not the shareholders) have announced it's latest review at its AGM which is co-incidently today.

As usual the "media" choose to put their own interpretation on news rather than reporting the actual facts.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 24th April 2015

Liked 664 Times in 282 Posts

My advice would be to vote for the non con/lab party which best reflects your views. Only if we get proportional representation will their be a fair reflection of the electorates views and hopefully people will then reengage in politics. The Scottish referendum showed us that. Bet the turnout in Scotland is miles better than England.

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery
gregles (24th April 2015), Grumpy Hec (24th April 2015), OlyPaul (24th April 2015), Zuiko (24th April 2015)
Old 24th April 2015

Liked 2,234 Times in 1,475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I've just watched the traditional bun fight that is "Question Time" on BBC1 and David Dimbleby revealed a change of format for next week's program. It will feature the leaders of the three main political parties, but not together on a panel as is customary. Instead they will each individually face questions from the audience for a half hour slot. This seems to me to be quite extraordinary, considering they will all be present in the same studio. I wonder which one lacks the courage of his convictions and confidence in his party's policies to the extent that he feels unable to participate in a live general debate with his opponents? Or does that apply to all of them?

This really is a weird General Election campaign and politics in this country seem to have sunk to a new low. Apparently the Institute for Fiscal Studies has said that non of the main party manifestos have enough information about how the promises will be funded to enable voters to make a rational choice. I don't even know which parties will be represented in our constituency, but if there is the opportunity to vote for a minority party I think I will do so, as the only viable means of protest other than not voting at all.
I recall the QT format was exactly the same last time around.

I agree it doesn't seem logical but I suspect it is to stop the leader with the biggest gob getting unfair coverage.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (25th April 2015)
Old 24th April 2015

Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
As for the SNP posturing. I find their unbelievable arrogance hard to take with Mr Salmond a most odious individual. No dis-resepct to forum members from north of the border but the prospect of a party with such an overtly narrow agenda concerned with one particular part of the UK spouting forth threats about effectively ruling the whole UK via another party to be a genuinely horrible and frightening. My heart would sink if they did get to such a strong position of influence. What could potentially come of that is an almost terrifying prospect.

Sadly my constituency is true blue

Rant over

Hec
It's called democracy Hec
Old 25th April 2015
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregles View Post
It's called democracy Hec
On the face of it of course you are correct.

But if you think further I think it raises questions.

The possible scenario is that a minority party, in terms of the UK as a whole, which represents the interests of one specific part of the UK may be in a position of considerable influence over the whole of the UK even though the majority of UK voters did not have an opportunity to vote for or against that party. To compound the issue the party in question has a clear agenda to break up, or at least weaken the concept of, the UK.

For me that is not democracy, in what I believe to be the true meaning of the concept, but rather a function of the electral system in this country.

Hec
Old 25th April 2015

Liked 2,234 Times in 1,475 Posts

Quote:
On the face of it of course you are correct.

The possible scenario is that a minority party, in terms of the UK as a whole, which represents the interests of one specific part of the UK may be in a position of considerable influence over the whole of the UK even though the majority of UK voters did not have an opportunity to vote for or against that party.
Not just a minority party with a narrow agenda, but a minority party elected by a small number of people (with Scotland representing just 7.84% of the UK's population).

(Current figures are 64,511,000 for the UK and 5,062,011 for Scotland.)

The electoral system is already heavily skewed, with Labour constituencies tending to have far fewer constituents than Conservative and Lib Dem constituencies; but having the country run by the SNP, without the say of England, Northern Ireland and Wales would be a travesty in my view.

Worse still that the SNP might get into bed with another party, or else hold the country to ransom by blocking legislation that doesn't suit them.

I like to watch QT, but I must admit that I usually nod off or switch off if it is held in Scotland, as the level of debate rarely seems to rise above the cost of bus fares, the shambolic Edinburgh tram system and other local issues.

Do we really want these people running the UK?

Quote:
Sadly my constituency is true blue with an especially slimy career politician who demonstrably cares nothing about local affairs almost certain to be returned again.
Sadly our constituency is blazing red, and likely to remain so, despite many years encumbered with an especially slimy career politician who demonstrably cared nothing about local affairs, and took our country into illegal wars.

He also spent £millions of the country's money on public enquiries (no doubt employing fellow lawyers) to absolve himself from any blame whilst in power.

Perhaps we should vote-swap Hector?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Closed Thread