Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 11th November 2008
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Question E-3 power grip question

Having just acquired a HLD-4 for my E-3, I wonder about the low power indication. Does the low battery icon flash when just one battery is running low, or does it wait till both are almost dead? Is there a sequence of use of batteries or does it take power randomly?

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 11th November 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Re: E-3 power grip question

As far as I am aware Stephen, the battery indicator illuminates green when the battery is low, and from then you have around 50-80 or so shots left before the battery indicator illuminates red. From then you have minimal time if any at all before it turns itself off!

Of late, I have been having trouble with my HLD-4, and last week I removed it. With two batteries fully charged, I was only managing around 170 shots - which is a clear indicator that something was amiss. I removed the HLD-4, and took around 400 shots before I changed the battery. Even then the indicator was not showing green or red, I changed because I didn't want it dying on me during a shoot.

Up to now though the HLD-4 has been excellent, I am not sure what the issue is with it.

Old 11th November 2008
Naticle

I think both batteries drain equally. I always charge both of mine at the same time.

TMM - Yes that is not many shots at all I can get around 1500 shots then I have to charge them up. Although I don't let them go flat.
Old 11th November 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,220 Posts
Liked 1,627 Times in 723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
As far as I am aware Stephen, the battery indicator illuminates green when the battery is low, and from then you have around 50-80 or so shots left before the battery indicator illuminates red. From then you have minimal time if any at all before it turns itself off!

Of late, I have been having trouble with my HLD-4, and last week I removed it. With two batteries fully charged, I was only managing around 170 shots - which is a clear indicator that something was amiss. I removed the HLD-4, and took around 400 shots before I changed the battery. Even then the indicator was not showing green or red, I changed because I didn't want it dying on me during a shoot.

Up to now though the HLD-4 has been excellent, I am not sure what the issue is with it.
Obvious question is - are you using BLM-1s or a third party battery? One other obvious thing to do is clean contacts. My HLD-4 seems to be behaving itself. At the Keyhaven day the camera was on all day and I took several hundred shots (JPEG + RAW) without needing a battery change.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 11th November 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

I hadn't thought of cleaning the contacts Ian, I might have a go at that later today and reinstate the power grip for further tests.

I have two official Oly batteries and two replacement third party ones and regardless which ones I have in the power grip, these last 4-6 weeks I had only been getting between 150-200 shots with it attached.

I'll do some cleaning later, and report back with the results in a week or so's time. Ta for the tip Ian!