Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 14th September 2013

Liked 82 Times in 30 Posts
We are all winners!

Well the new camera has certainly caused a stir! There is no way I can afford it; the price is far too rich for me. What is good though is the amount of kit becoming available as people either switch system from disappointment or to fund a trade up. Whatever the reason there are some bargains to be had right now. Whether it is Sponner's E5 or Ashtonsd's Bigma on the forum or some of the lenses appearing on ebay it is a buyers market.

For me, I am extremely happy with my E3 (only because I can't afford that E5) and lenses but the EC14 now looks very affordable.

I wish you all success in your future purchases, whatever you decide to buy, because we will all benefit somewhere along the line.

Rob
The Following User Says Thank You to greenguru For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (14th September 2013)
Old 14th September 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,437 Posts
Liked 4,409 Times in 2,092 Posts
Re: We are all winners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenguru View Post
Well the new camera has certainly caused a stir! There is no way I can afford it; the price is far too rich for me. What is good though is the amount of kit becoming available as people either switch system from disappointment or to fund a trade up. Whatever the reason there are some bargains to be had right now. Whether it is Sponner's E5 or Ashtonsd's Bigma on the forum or some of the lenses appearing on ebay it is a buyers market.

For me, I am extremely happy with my E3 (only because I can't afford that E5) and lenses but the EC14 now looks very affordable.

I wish you all success in your future purchases, whatever you decide to buy, because we will all benefit somewhere along the line.

Rob
That's right, Rob, a new camera always has indirect benefits for those of us further down the food chain who cannot afford to upgrade immediately. It's easy to forget that tired old cameras were not long ago the latest and greatest, and that today's latest and greatest will soon be on tommorrow's scrap heap. The E-3 always took, and still does, great pictures irrespective of what the E-M1 can do. The knock-on effect of the E-M1 from your point of view is that in time used prices for the E-5 will come down faster.

The only reason I moved from the E-3 to Micro Four Thirds was health and fitness issues, experiencing great benefits of size and weight savings at the expense of ideal handling through a succession of Pens and one Panasonic before I arrived at the E-M5. The benefits are even more pronounced and most of the handling issues resolved, but I would gladly return to the E-3 in excchange for having my health and fitness fully restored. I must admit I would now miss the much improved high ISO capabilities, but then if I was able to get back to my first love of landscapes I wouldn't need that anyway.

So what does the E-M1 mean to me? Well, there is no way I can afford one at the moment but it is dcertainly a camera to aspire to. I am still definitely a winner because I will eventually benefit from the technology in a future budget model, or I will pick up a second-hand E-M1 at a vastly reduced price when it is upgraded in around three years time.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 14th September 2013

Liked 1,312 Times in 792 Posts

It always amuses me when people rush to buy a new camera. Anyone remember Nikon launching the battery dependent F3? A lot of pros said they'd never use a battery dependent camera. I knew 2 pros who were early adopters of the F3, one had to revert to his F2's, the other had to buy back his F2's from the dealer he'd traded them to.

It was a similar story a couple of years later for OM shooters with the launch of the OM4.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 14th September 2013

Thanked 1,467 Times in 1,395 Posts
Liked 1,371 Times in 875 Posts

A number of posts have mentioned problems with the OM4 at launch but I don't recall this at the time. I confess to having an OM4Ti so I presume all the issues had been ironed out by then. I was by no means an early adopter and all my purchases are very considered.

My E-M5 pre-order was based on wanting to move from film to digital, my dalliance with 2 P&S cameras over about 8 years convincing me that digital was the eventual way to go even if these cameras themselves did not excite me. I had a list of requirements that included things like size, card format, ISO, and image stabilisation. I waited for about 3 years for Olympus to come up with the E-M5 so even my pre-order was hardly a rush to buy a new camera.

I'm glad that people are excited about the E-M1 and I hope that those who buy it enjoy it. Actually I am excited as well but in a more general way and in a way that does not mean it is something I must rush out and buy, in fact I do not expect to ever buy an E-M1.
Old 14th September 2013

The biggest problem with early OM4's was battery drainage, 5 minutes to kill a fresh pair being my record. They also had circuit board and shutter issues. When it was released I had contacts at Olympus UK and got one of the first to arrive in the UK. It had 3 sets of circuit boards, 3 shutters and a new viewfinder assembly (after the prism de-silvered) by the time I gave up and threw it across the car park outside my camera repairers. My OM4T developed the same shutter fault.

Old 14th September 2013

Liked 82 Times in 30 Posts

I am sure there won't be any such issues with the EM-1. You should all buy one and sell me an E5 and EC14 cheap!
Old 14th September 2013

I forgot another issue for early adopters on the OM4. The spot metering zeroing stud on the lens mount. I'd already wrecked mine and repaired it with super glue before Olympus issued a warning through the photo press.

Old 14th September 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,437 Posts
Liked 4,409 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
The biggest problem with early OM4's was battery drainage, 5 minutes to kill a fresh pair being my record. They also had circuit board and shutter issues. When it was released I had contacts at Olympus UK and got one of the first to arrive in the UK. It had 3 sets of circuit boards, 3 shutters and a new viewfinder assembly (after the prism de-silvered) by the time I gave up and threw it across the car park outside my camera repairers. My OM4T developed the same shutter fault.
For many years I had an OM4Ti and OM4T (same camera, different markets), both secondhand, both very accurate and ultra reliable - a joy to use.

I wasn't going to get one, I was welded to my OM1's, but the manager at my local camera shop phoned one day to say he had a used 4Ti and thought it might interest me. I politely declined but he suggested I took it home for the weekend, just to give it a try. I was back in the shop on Monday morning with a wad of cash. Some things never change, it's just that back then I had a lot more money!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau