Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 30th August 2008
Fluffy

Re: Replicating the Autochrome ''look"

yet another try. Completely different procedure. Ignored the instructions noted on the net (which didn't do too good). This is about a 1.5 inch orchid bloom.

Steve
Old 31st August 2008

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Neat one Steve, we can't be far off getting the process sorted

Here is one I have just done

Rats still not big enough , think you can click on it to make it bigger

Kit: Olympus OM4, OMD E5 MkII And some other junk to make it all work.
Old 31st August 2008

Liked 1,558 Times in 999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knikki View Post
Rats still not big enough , think you can click on it to make it bigger
Nope, can't see the rats - even when clicking to make it bigger. Are they on the quayside?
;^)

Jim
Old 31st August 2008
Fluffy

Jim, look very closely in the machinery by the structure and under the base of the structure. Oh, yeah, put your 3d x-ray vision specs on.

K Very, very close. I think, never having seen an actual autochrome, but knowing they were slides in original form, we may be needing to tweak either the lighting or the luminosity some.

BTW, right now I'm using just noise, gaussian blur, and color curves, and not much of any of them. The originals really were of very high quality.

Steve
Old 31st August 2008
E-P1 fan

Wow - really close I think. F is right - just needs that translucent look now
Old 31st August 2008
E-P1 fan

Steve

I love the colour on yours - but would early lenses have been capable of such close-ups?? A shot taken further back - showing a vaseful or a sprig might work even better.

Keep going lads - we'll crack it yet
Old 31st August 2008

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

That is superb to my eyes....

Regards

peterlittlephotography.com
Old 31st August 2008

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Look closely Jim you can see the rats having a laugh on the quay side

E1 I doubt that the lens of those days could go that close a Steve has, but no reason why the technique could not be applied to close ups.

The way I did mine was to make the is make black and white via channel mixer,
Then use the Eraser tool set very low to get that pale washed out look, but I need to work out how to get more colour in. Thinks might boost colour before making it B&W.
Gaussian blur added but using Noise to get that pixelated look.
Then Lens blur to just to loose the sharpness of the modern lens.

I am enjoying this little experiment

Old 31st August 2008
Fluffy

I agree that I was way to close for a real autochrome, but I was just toying with that image and though I'd try my latest autochrome thoughts. It's also clear that the subject matter is vital. I'm waiting on the Kahn book for some more direction on that, although that photography museum link was a real find and very helpful.

K You have some good ideas there that I'll certainly be trying.

And yes this thread has been a great deal of fun and I'm sure will be until we solve this little challenge. And then the fun will be making digital autochromes.

Steve
Old 31st August 2008
E-P1 fan

Definitely
Old 1st September 2008
Fluffy

One more try. Tomorrow (Monday) is Labor Day here in the States. It's the one day of the year I actually work.

From simplicity I went for incredible complexity. Not that it's much, if any better.

BTW, K is the first K in your screen name silent and should we be addressing you as N?

Steve
Old 1st September 2008
E-P1 fan

Happy Labor Day. Been watching the live streams from NO - seems an amazing effort by government and officials. This area had bad flooding last year so I'm very empathetic. Good luck gulf coasters.

Again f - close but there is a quality that none of us has hit yet - but SOOOO close.
Old 1st September 2008

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Hey Steve nice attempt on the Steam Engine, I am going to have another shot at that one.

My real name is Nick and my altered ego is Knikki also a gamer tag as well. I suppose if you drop the 'K' and call me 'N' than that is ok. But lots of people see my name and think I am a girl, which I am not but it does give me a good laugh.

Happy Labour Day Steve and make sure you have your wellington boots to hand

Old 1st September 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think these are getting very close now. That dockside one really does have a "period" look to it (are they Rattus rattus or Rattus norvegicus do you think? )

When I was trying to help a Flickr contact with replicating the albumen print look, we discussed applying selective blur to mimic the effect of the long exposures of the period. Buildings and other static objects would require none (maybe why the dockside looks so "right"?), of course, but people (especially faces and children) and animals would. I understand exposures were of 1 to 10 seconds, depending on lighting. Of course, this is all then in danger of getting so time consuming you might as well start making wet collodion plates!
Old 1st September 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's an attempt: