Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 6th December 2007
beardedwombat

Brief E-3 review in Photography Monthly

Will Cheung gives a so-so report on using the E-3 in Istanbul in the January edition of Photography Monthly. He thought there was little benefit to using the IS and didn't find the 11 point autofocus 'reliable', preferred single point. Overall has 'mixed impressions' but reckons the camera has 'huge potential'.
Chris
Old 6th December 2007
Administrator

Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,220 Posts
Liked 1,627 Times in 723 Posts
Re: Brief E-3 review in Photography Monthly

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedwombat View Post
Will Cheung gives a so-so report on using the E-3 in Istanbul in the January edition of Photography Monthly. He thought there was little benefit to using the IS and didn't find the 11 point autofocus 'reliable', preferred single point. Overall has 'mixed impressions' but reckons the camera has 'huge potential'.
Chris
I have spent some time over at Four Thirds User trying to put the comments if some of my journalist colleagues into perspective - especially from Amateur Photographer. I'm not simply trying to defend them all for the sake of it, but I don't doubt that they express honest opinions.

Let's look at what Will said - he found the 11 point AF unreliable. Well, I have to say that I haven't yet worked out how to use the all 11 point mode properly yet, so I can see his point of view there. I've always been a single AF point kind of photographer, which is why I've not been too put off by only having three AF points to date. That said, I have been using single AF points off-centre quite effectively with the E-3 and I could have done with the the E-3 point selection earlier this year when photographing water skiers (I wanted to keep the skier in focus with their position to the far side of the frame).

I'll be perfectly open and say that I fee Will is mistaken regarding anti-shake. Lots of other journos have been very positive about IS in the E-3, so he is out on a limb there.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 6th December 2007
veggiesosage

I've only ever used a camera with any form of IS/VR or whatever any particular make wants to call it and that was my brief play with the E3 the other week.

Not sure what Dan means by 'little benefit'. Is he saying its not very good or that he has little use for it?

A very nervous me (due to holding 6k worth of somebody else's kit) managed to get a perfectly sharp shot with shutter speed of 1/50s with an equivalent focal length of 600mm. That, in my book is called 'passing the test' and there is no way I would have got anything remotely usable without IS under those conditions. So I'm sold on that score.
Old 6th December 2007

Liked 1,006 Times in 298 Posts

Could not agree more about image stabilisation.I am taking shots with the 50-200mm and IS at shutter speeds I would never have considered with my E1(down to about 1/80th of a second).

All the best

Andy
Old 6th December 2007
beardedwombat

I agree that Will is a bit out of synch with Oly users regarding the E-3 IS. My experience so far is that it works exceptionally well, better I reckon than the VR on the Nikon lenses I had. You only have to check it out on live-view to see how well it functions. Not only that but I'm pretty sure the IS on my E-510 has improved since the latest firmware update, not that there was anything wrong with it before the update. Maybe his camera was duff or he had inadvertantly turned it off. I do however agree with him that the All Points focussing does not seem terribly clever in normal use and as Ian says, it needs further investigation. Some input from Oly as to how it works would be helpful. I use single point all the time at the moment. Don't forget that he does say the camera has 'Huge Potential' but then we all know that!
Chris
Old 6th December 2007
PeterD

The IS definately works well!

I took a night shot to test it using ISA 2000 and 1/4S shutter speed, hand held and managed to get a reasonably sharp image. I was being reckless I know but I would be impossible to even consider this without the IS.

PeterD
Old 6th December 2007
Administrator

Liked 494 Times in 275 Posts

I have to admit that I can't agree more on IS - I had a new E510 and a buisness trip to NY so had to go playing in Times Square and I can't imagine getting away with this at 1/15th without it
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

Last edited by shenstone; 6th December 2007 at 08:53 PM. Reason: I stupidly attached to the thumbnail instead of the image
Old 6th December 2007
beardedwombat

I have just taken this image with my E-3 of one of my favourite film cameras (it's a Balda Super Baldax in case you are interested) hand held at 1/5th sec, f3.9, ISO200, 43mm (86mm equiv), IS 1. Bear in mind it was taken in portrait mode so cannot be held quite as steady as landscape. I focussed on the red figure 8. Now tell me IS is of no benefit!

100% crop:

Chris
Edit: Image is straight out of the camera - no sharpening!
Old 6th December 2007

Liked 73 Times in 44 Posts

Quote:
Chris
Edit: Image is straight out of the camera - no sharpening!
Very impressive! Less need to lug a tripod around