Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 19th June 2008
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Question Linux help

I'm getting increasingly more p***d off with Windoze (Vista) and its associated encumbrances, and so I'm thinking of testing out a Linux install on a spare PC I have. I used to work in IT (for 25 years) so have no idea what I'm doing.
Can anyone give me some pointers to start with? I'd like advice on which version of Linux, how to do a clean install, presumably I'd need Gimp but what about Raw converters, USB support for card readers, printers? Any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 19th June 2008
Chillimonster

Re: Linux help

The only distro i have ever got round to installing is Ubuntu and everything worked out of the box. This was on a works amchine connected to a 2003 server pc and it just worked.

The beauty of Linux is that most of the major distros have "live" cd's to try, meaning it just runs from the CD/DVD and will give you an idea of what will / will not work from your setup.

When you find one you like, hit the install button

Chris
Old 19th June 2008
gno

"I used to work in IT (for 25 years) so have no idea what I'm doing."

Hi Stephen,
That's it with IT you never know enough, there's always something new to learn.

I've always liked the idea of a Linux or perhaps BSD OS but have always been put off by the fact that I would miss Photoshop. I seems that now you can have you cake and eat it by running PS on Linux.

http://apcmag.com/google_behind_phot...patibility.htm

Perhaps someone has experience of WINE as to how good it is.

Vista seems to be a problem for many users have you considered reverting to XP as others have done.

Regards

Gavin
Old 19th June 2008
Senior Pixelmonger

Yes, it's on my list of options, but since that also would mean a total re-install I thought I might try something completely different! Why do something the easy way when there's a hard way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gno View Post

Vista seems to be a problem for many users have you considered reverting to XP as others have done.

Regards

Gavin

My Flickr site
Old 19th June 2008
gno

You could dual boot installing XP on a different drive.
Old 19th June 2008
emirpprime

Get a Mac! You can have Photoshop and skip windows But seriously, I like Ubuntu and its versions, OpenSuse 11 is really nice, gOS is suprisingly good. DL Linus, PC OS Linux and SimplyMepis are all excellent.

It really is a try and see game I find. Most are available as LiveCDs which are great. You can just stick them in the drive, boot from the CD and get a no catch try before you buy.

Good luck with it!
All the best,
Phil
Old 19th June 2008
scanny

Hi all

on the subject of vista removal, i have a copy of xp to put on, i boot up with the cd but it does not recognise my hard disc's, both are sata so from what ive read ther drivers are not on the xp cd. Is there any way i can get rid of vist and use xp the little blighter keeps hanging on for life whith this latest problem

All help appretiated

Steve
Old 19th June 2008
emirpprime

You need to know the manufacturer of your sata controller chip. All you need to do is download the driver for it and copy it to a floppy drive. Then when you select boot from CD, it will go blue and start flashing messages along the bottom. One of them will be Press F6 to load extra drivers. But as it flashes by, the safest way is to just keep pressing F6 once its on the blue screen stage. Then you should be fine. Another way is to download Nlite (http://www.nliteos.com/) and slipstream the drivers into the XP disk. This way there is no messing around and no floppy needed.
Hope thats some help, post back if you need more info.
All the best,
Phil
Old 20th June 2008
Senior Pixelmonger

I could, but that would mean rebooting every time I wanted to use it. At present I have to reboot every week or so as something, I suspect PS Bridge, has a memory leak which gradually stops things working. In my IT life I was used to never rebooting when using o/s such as MVS-SP and even Netware. A computer should stay up for life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gno View Post
You could dual boot installing XP on a different drive.

My Flickr site
Old 20th June 2008
emirpprime

Windows really isn't made to run constantly in the way Linux/Unix/BSD based systems are. You really need to shut down regularly to purge the memory and caches, and preferably reinstall quite often... Sorry if it's preaching to the choir but there are a few things to help it along - turn off the visual effects, it will look like win 2000/98 but perfrom much better; and disable antivirus, firewall etc when doing heavy photo work. They tend to munch your memory and processor time. However I realise this isn't always practical.
You could also try using Vistas Ready Boost feature as a cheap "upgrade". Whack a nice cheap flash drive into a USB 2 socket and it will act like RAM, just a bit slower. It does help so they say.

All the best,
Phil
Old 20th June 2008
Administrator

Liked 493 Times in 275 Posts

Some nuggets in Phils advice but BE CAREFUL - as Phil says it's not always practical - Only switch off AV and Firewall if you are OFF the any networks and don't dare put ANY CD's of data/software anywhere near your system whilst you are in that state. Many of the major software vendors and magazines have inadvertantly distributed a virus at some time.

Some AV systems (norton/MCafee are heavier than others (Kaspersky/Panda) and more memory is usually the best way to improve your system up to 4Gb on Windows pre Vista ( Yes I know it may not all be addressed, but more than 2Gb will be hence there is some signficant benefit to most photo programs)

Re Windows and reboots -it depends - My system is always off when it's not in use so I've configured it for fast startup and load just the basics and then various script files allow for startup of whatever I want to use. On the other hand we have servers at work with months of uptime so it's not necessarily a routine need.

p.s IMHO UNIX is not designed for a lot of uptime either - I so remember being the only VAX based DBA at an Oracle training course when they started every sentance with ... This won't be a problem for Andy... but you'll need to worry about X... I know it's improved a lot, but it still makes me smile when i hear how good it is and the "wonder new feature" is something I took for granted 10 years ago

Regards
Andy
Re
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 21st June 2008
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanks Andy and Phil. FWIW my system is a quad processor with 4Gb memory, so performance isn't an issue. I've definitely now narrowed the problem down to PS CS3 Bridge. If I don't use it (just the Bridge component) then everything works as normal. Had no response from Adobe. Startup is reasonably quick but shutdown can be VERY long, sometimes hanging.
I've had a look at the Linux scene now, and unfortunately, unless I run a Windows emulator, it just wouldn't allow me to run what I need. So it's back to the drawing board I think.

My Flickr site
Old 21st June 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Hi Stephen - OK, it might be out of the question at this time - but I'd seriously consider getting a Mac. I used MS all the time up until a year or so ago when I tried a Mac. I am not one of these PC bashers, but I have to say that in all honesty... there's no way I'd ever go back to a PC and I will only now ever purchase Mac machines.

I have an excellent Dell Laptop that I use for my client (Project Management) work, and when I need to connect to their networks etc, but I never use it for anything other than 'need to' work related stuff.

Just something to consider for future reference.

Old 21st June 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,219 Posts
Liked 1,627 Times in 723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
I'm getting increasingly more p***d off with Windoze (Vista) and its associated encumbrances, and so I'm thinking of testing out a Linux install on a spare PC I have. I used to work in IT (for 25 years) so have no idea what I'm doing.
Can anyone give me some pointers to start with? I'd like advice on which version of Linux, how to do a clean install, presumably I'd need Gimp but what about Raw converters, USB support for card readers, printers? Any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated.
Have you installe Vista SP1 yet? That might solve your problem. I recently sold my 15 month old Vista notebook (to replace it with another more up to date version) and it was pretty stable all the way.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 21st June 2008

Liked 102 Times in 52 Posts

I have tried Vista on a few friends computers and I don't like it. Too many restrictions, blockings, pop-ups etc.

I use XP Pro SP2 and maybe that could be an option to consider.

As for start up and shut down delays. I have Nortons on my PC and it is an absolute pain in the a***e waiting to start up and shut down. I just put my PC into standby when not using it, shutting down and rebooting once a week or so.

Steve