Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 18th July 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need some advise

Hi,
I don't currently have a camera, but my friends looking to sell his e500 and I was wondering if anybody had any feedback on them before I consider buying it.

Any help would be much appreciated
Old 19th July 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Need some advise

Read this article from J. Andrzej Wrotniak it tells you everything you need to know about the camera. But bear in mind it was written in 2005 so things have obviously changed a bit since then. It was my first DSLR and I thoroughly enjoyed using it.
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e500-rev.html
Old 19th July 2012

Liked 38 Times in 24 Posts

Funny you should mention the 500, as I came within an inch of buying one today. It was the focus bracketing I was after, something Oly also put in the 330, but no other E cameras, I think. As well, the 500 has a Kodak CCD sensor like the E-1. Nearly all reviews I read are favorable, though itís worth pointing out that the CCD means thereís no live view. Thereís also no image stabilization in the 500.

I would second stryker's recommend of Wrotniak's articles for learning about Olympus cameras. The Olympus site also lists all the older cameras' specs and features under "archived cameras," at the bottom of the E-camera product page.
Old 19th July 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks

Thank you both, this has been really helpful. Do you know if the standard lenses are good for sports shots, or if not what would recomend.

Thanks again
Old 19th July 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Also do you know if the lenses from the 510 will fit the 500.

thanks
Old 19th July 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Yes, the lenses from a 510 will fit, as will any Zuiko 4/3 lens.

I suggest you think about a 40-150 lens - quite cheap and good quality.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 19th July 2012

Action sports aren't exactly Olympus' strong suit, though the skill of the photographer can overcome many technical limitations. For hand held work, a body with stabilization (510 onward) might give an advantage over the 500.
Yes, the 40-150 is a good place to start.
Old 19th July 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Which of the Olympus cameras would you say is the best for sports? Preferably not to expensive
Old 19th July 2012
richardlongley

Hi,

I hope it is not too forward in me highlighting I have just listed a 55-200mm for sale on the forum.

For sports you may want good performance at high shutter speeds which means you may need to use high ISO and work with small f numbers.

You really do get what you pay for - as I am finding out everytime I get a lens I want the next one up.

Personally I think the E500 would be an excellent starting point as it will be a very cost effective way of getting results. The draw back for some is this camera is only 8Mpixels, but that is not going to limit you IMO.

I'll let others comment on how the sigma 55-200mm will compare to an olympus 40-150mm, a possible advantage is that the 55-200mm has a little more reach at the same f number.
Old 19th July 2012
richardlongley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G View Post
Action sports aren't exactly Olympus' strong suit, though the skill of the photographer can overcome many technical limitations. For hand held work, a body with stabilization (510 onward) might give an advantage over the 500.
Yes, the 40-150 is a good place to start.
Do you think the image stabilisation is going to come into play and benefit for sports photography?

I woudl have thought that shutter speeds would generally be high enough to render the IS pointless??
Old 19th July 2012

Sports photography isn't one of my strong suits either, not at all. So perhaps the IS would not be of use at higher shutter speeds. The question of which camera is best for sports is outside of my experience (I feel confident I could adequately capture the action in a spirited game of chess, perhaps), but if I were going to give it a go, I'd pair an E-1 with a 50-200 mkI and see what happens. The E-1 has a decently fast shutter, and unlike other used Oly bodies in its price range, has a twelve shot buffer. ISO 800 is quite useable (to me, anyway), and if "sports" equates to "weather," it's good for that, too. Is also a rig that if it didn't prove up to the job, could probably be resold without much loss.

But really, any used body and zoom (such as Richard offers) would be a good place to start.