Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 2nd December 2007
beardedwombat

E-3 image auto-rotate errors.

I am finding the occasional image auto-rotate error cropping up on the E-3. I find the odd image taken in 'landscape' orientation is rotated as if it were taken in 'portrait' orientation and not every 'portrait' is rotated correctly either. It's only happened once or twice though, anyone else experiencing this problem?
Old 2nd December 2007
Administrator

Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,220 Posts
Liked 1,627 Times in 723 Posts
Re: E-3 image auto-rotate errors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedwombat View Post
I am finding the occasional image auto-rotate error cropping up on the E-3. I find the odd image taken in 'landscape' orientation is rotated as if it were taken in 'portrait' orientation and not every 'portrait' is rotated correctly either. It's only happened once or twice though, anyone else experiencing this problem?
I sometimes find that I need to tip the camera up and down a couple of times to get the correct orientation, but nothing more than that.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 2nd December 2007

Liked 877 Times in 401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedwombat View Post
I have just returned from a walk and several shots taken as landscapes show both on the camera preview and on the MAC as portraits.

Also when I looked at a number of pics in preview 4 to a screen on the camera it wrongly showed all of them as portrait but when I went back to one per screen they were landscape.

The strangest thing is that the orientation isn't stable and sometimes they are portrait and sometimes landscape.

I cannot work out what this is but it is a bit odd. I'll see if I can get a picture of it.

puzzled..?
Old 2nd December 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by art frames View Post
I have just returned from a walk and several shots taken as landscapes show both on the camera preview and on the MAC as portraits.

Also when I looked at a number of pics in preview 4 to a screen on the camera it wrongly showed all of them as portrait but when I went back to one per screen they were landscape.

The strangest thing is that the orientation isn't stable and sometimes they are portrait and sometimes landscape.

I cannot work out what this is but it is a bit odd. I'll see if I can get a picture of it.

puzzled..?

I have attempted to show four pictures taken in quick succession where the E3 decided that the fourth was portrait. The EXIF data shows the orientation data as 1 for three of them and 8 for the forth. All I did between 3 and 4 was dial in some exposure compensation to get a better sky.

I think this shows some of the strange orientation behaviour.
Old 3rd December 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I noticed this happening. As usual I thought it was pilot error and I was catching a button or similar. Nice to know I'm not a complete idiot then.

Mike
Old 3rd December 2007

Try moving the camera when you are looking at pictures 4 up on the camera screen. Sometimes it behaves normally. Sometimes goes loopy. After 3/4 moves mine has ended up with 16 on the screen with a completely different picture highlighted! But not every time.

I presume it is using the gyro to select orientation and maybe that is sensing more data than simple direction but who knows. It is good that we all have seen it.

Peter
Old 3rd December 2007

Page 89 in the manual shows how to turn it off. Which I have now done.

Peter
Old 3rd December 2007
beardedwombat

Mine also shifts from landscape to portrait when four or more images are displayed and the camera moved about. It will also do so when one is displayed. Presumably the giro is too sensitive. I wonder whether this can be sorted with a firmware upgrade. It's a nuisance rather than a problem and as Peter says you can turn it off. In one way it's nice to know mine isn't the only camera with this fault, on the other hand let's hope more faults don't materialise though it can't be completely unexpected with a new camera.
Cheers
Chris
Old 5th December 2007
emirpprime

While it doesn't solve the problem, when reviewing in camera, if an image is the wrong way around hit +/- to rotate it. At least then it should be the right way around once it reaches the computer.
All the best,
Phil