Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 7th April 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts
Re: Dragon Bones - Please Critique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
Eh?? Couldn't find it Chevvy. Just tell me where is was please
Uhhh! Yes gone ! I did see the location yesterday ! but NOW a few things are gone, um posts ! Zuiko' treatment being one ! sorry Dave but I think it was your way in Kent
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 7th April 2012

Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
Uhhh! Yes gone ! I did see the location yesterday ! but NOW a few things are gone, um posts ! Zuiko' treatment being one ! sorry Dave but I think it was your way in Kent
I think Zuiko's treatment is still there - post number 5.
Old 7th April 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley View Post
I think Zuiko's treatment is still there - post number 5.
Shirley, and all readers ... I am getting new "eyes" in June & July ... until then these old (very old and worn out ones) "see things" and "miss seeing things" ... please excuse me ... o0r my eyes ...

ps I dont know what excuse I shall be able to use in August

the ONE photo album
Old 7th April 2012

Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts

LOL

Tried just to submit LOL but it was too short
Old 7th April 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley View Post
LOL

Tried just to submit LOL but it was too short
LoL LoL LoL

that works LoL x 3 ... te! he!

the ONE photo album
Old 7th April 2012
mlinehan

Bar the overtly hostile, passive-aggressive posts, there's been some really good critical feedback. I might go and re-shoot with the lower camera angle as I think that might possibly improve the image.

One thing, I don't take it personally if you don't like aspects of my images.... so please don't take it personally if I don't agree with some things you say. No one was "slapped in the face" as one poster put it.

All input about the image was duly noted and gratefully received. Any effort that went into re-edits is greatly appreciated but not necessary and something i'm not comfortable with (I wouldn't re-write a novel or paint over someone's picture to make a point) but that isn't an attack on you and you weren't aware of my feelings on this which is why I said please more than once

I was delighted that one poster completely understood where I was coming from and completely nailed my vision for this image - there's something magical about that, I feel.

Have a good weekend, everyone.
Old 7th April 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,437 Posts
Liked 4,409 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlinehan View Post

Have a good weekend, everyone.
And you too, Mlinehan, enjoy your photography.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 7th April 2012
mlinehan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
And you too, Mlinehan, enjoy your photography.
Oh, i'm Matt by the way... you don't have to call me by my login ID - or if you prefer to be formal, just Linehan. I'm a filthy peasant so don't deserve a title
Old 7th April 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,437 Posts
Liked 4,409 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlinehan View Post
Oh, i'm Matt by the way... you don't have to call me by my login ID - or if you prefer to be formal, just Linehan. I'm a filthy peasant so don't deserve a title
Thanks Matt. It's always nice to have a name, more personal.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 8th April 2012

Liked 48 Times in 11 Posts

I like it. Some day I hope to find just such a location to have a go at something like this.

Steve
www.SteveRoughleyPhotography.com
Old 8th April 2012

Liked 916 Times in 354 Posts

Wigan Pier?
Old 9th April 2012
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
Told you it was too bright.............. For me photography is not necessarily about portraying reality but achieving a strong image. If that means a fair bit of editng then so be it. I still stand by my comments re mono but I wouldn't repost an image despite what others say unless I was asked to. It is still a very nice image.
Agree with you. For me this is a mono shot but then I am rather biased that way so my view cannot be taken as anything other than a personal one. I'd also go for an even slower shutter speed to get a mega milky sea. With that composition that would work superbly.

I also agree that an image does not have to reflect what was there at the time. It can do of course which is fine in that is what youy want but I also believe that we have the opportunity to create something beyond what we simply see. I like to think of it as painting with light, contrast and texture which is probably why I'm into B & W so much at the moment. Again of couse this is just my take on things and happily we are all different.

Vive le difference as my dreadful French tries to convey.

cheers

Hec
Old 12th April 2012
mlinehan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
I also agree that an image does not have to reflect what was there at the time. It can do of course which is fine in that is what youy want but I also believe that we have the opportunity to create something beyond what we simply see.
... then buy a painting set?

Just kidding. I think we have to interpret the image and put our own mark on it to try and show the viewer something about ourselves. I used to spend a lot of time on beaches as a kid and the sea and beaches have a magical, mystical feel to me. I don't think re-editing helps as all you're doing is removing the photographer's vision and re-applying your own and saying "mine is best" which just doesn't work from an artistic POV.

Anyway, the image is in the Kentish Gazette this week and won Kent in Focus, which is aimed at benefitting Pilgrim's Hospices and is the KM group featured charity this year.

I also think it beat a few entries from Canterbury Photographic Society - thought I recognised some names. I expect they all thought it was too bright too.
Old 12th April 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
I'd also go for an even slower shutter speed to get a mega milky sea. With that composition that would work superbly.

cheers

Hec
I'm with you on that Hec, I think a mega milky sea would really make the dragon's bones stand out.
Old 12th April 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec;159535 ... [COLOR="RoyalBlue"
mono ... a mega milky sea. With that composition that would work superbly.[/COLOR]

... an image does not have to reflect what was there at the time. It can do of course which is fine in that is what you want but I also believe that we have the opportunity to create something beyond what we simply see. I

cheers

Hec
Grumpy Hec, THIS is the CREATIVE of some ... but not all others ! Some people only like or want "Reportage" shots and thats ok - it is great in fact we need records

I have "met" online and face 2 face - so many that are desperately seeking to be creative and CANNOT see the Wood for the TREES

Working with Young Children - I have to encourage them "to stretch the envelope" Explore ... and many cannot (some have valid health reasons - but just as many with the same health reasons have PHENOMENAL CREATIVE TALENTS ) ...

It is down to choice ...

the ONE photo album