Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 19th May 2008
Codger

Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts
Cool Off to Chelsea Flower Show tomorrow...

... thanks to a very nice lady with a spare ticket!

Has anyone been and got any (photo-related) tips?

Thanks!

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright
Old 19th May 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,219 Posts
Liked 1,627 Times in 723 Posts
Re: Off to Chelsea Flower Show tomorrow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverh View Post
... thanks to a very nice lady with a spare ticket!

Has anyone been and got any (photo-related) tips?

Thanks!
Looks like you will have good weather too - not too hot and not too cold, plus dry... not sure if I have any tips though

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 19th May 2008

Liked 68 Times in 30 Posts

I've never been but have been told by my wife that it can get very crowded so it can be difficult to see the exhibits. I think that's a very good excuse to rush out and buy an E-3 so you can use the swivel screen and live view

Hope you have a good day,

JohnGG
Old 19th May 2008
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGG View Post
I've never been but have been told by my wife that it can get very crowded so it can be difficult to see the exhibits. I think that's a very good excuse to rush out and buy an E-3 so you can use the swivel screen and live view

Hope you have a good day,

JohnGG
I've already been advised that sharp elbows are more useful than a tripod

Not expecting to get any masterpieces (do I ever?) but I'll have to take a rain check on the E-3! The 50mm macro will definitely be going.

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright
Old 19th May 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tripod will be useless - not sure if you'd even be allowed to use one. Only the "preview" or "nobs" day would allow a tripod to be used with safety

The light in the marquee - where some of the best photo ops are IMHO - is peculiar, because it's diffused through the plastic/fabric the marquee is made from. You might want to take a piece of white paper to do CWB or shoot RAW. If it's overcast, the light can be quite poor inside.

Inside, some nice close up shots are possible and you can get quite close to most of the growers displays, although jostling can be a real problem. Something like the 14-54 would be good, and the 50-200 to isolate details of the larger outdoor gardens if you can be bothered to carry it (don't forget the fatigue factor - Chelsea is hard work!). I think the the smaller "courtyard" gardens are the most interesting, myself. The 50mm should get you some nice detail shots, and if you have time, don't miss the floral arrangement marquee - not quite my cup of tea, but quite incredible. There are also lots of opportunities for people shots: I've seen Lord Bath (and "wifelet"), Pippa Greenwood, Princess Michael (plus "heavy") and various others all mixing with the hoi polloi in the past, and the gardening public can strike some amusing poses... There are usually quite a number of Chelsea Pensioners around, who offer some great portrait/candid opportunities.

I haven't been for a number of years and last shot there with film. From memory, I think I mostly used a 28mm on my OM4 with plenty of spot metering on the foliage! My recollection is that I generally loaded ISO 400 to keep speeds up. The main problem is indeed the crowds - and the absolutely extortionate prices of food and drink! If they still do it, afternoon tea in the formal dining room was quiet, slightly better value, and a great opportunity to sit down!

Enjoy - Chelsea is a great British tradition, I keep meaning to go again myself.
Old 19th May 2008
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughofBardfield View Post
Tripod will be useless - not sure if you'd even be allowed to use one. Only the "preview" or "nobs" day would allow a tripod to be used with safety

The light in the marquee - where some of the best photo ops are IMHO - is peculiar, because it's diffused through the plastic/fabric the marquee is made from. You might want to take a piece of white paper to do CWB or shoot RAW. If it's overcast, the light can be quite poor inside.

Inside, some nice close up shots are possible and you can get quite close to most of the growers displays, although jostling can be a real problem. Something like the 14-54 would be good, and the 50-200 to isolate details of the larger outdoor gardens if you can be bothered to carry it (don't forget the fatigue factor - Chelsea is hard work!). I think the the smaller "courtyard" gardens are the most interesting, myself. The 50mm should get you some nice detail shots, and if you have time, don't miss the floral arrangement marquee - not quite my cup of tea, but quite incredible. There are also lots of opportunities for people shots: I've seen Lord Bath (and "wifelet"), Pippa Greenwood, Princess Michael (plus "heavy") and various others all mixing with the hoi polloi in the past, and the gardening public can strike some amusing poses... There are usually quite a number of Chelsea Pensioners around, who offer some great portrait/candid opportunities.

I haven't been for a number of years and last shot there with film. From memory, I think I mostly used a 28mm on my OM4 with plenty of spot metering on the foliage! My recollection is that I generally loaded ISO 400 to keep speeds up. The main problem is indeed the crowds - and the absolutely extortionate prices of food and drink! If they still do it, afternoon tea in the formal dining room was quiet, slightly better value, and a great opportunity to sit down!

Enjoy - Chelsea is a great British tradition, I keep meaning to go again myself.
Thanks Hugh - this is absolutely the sort of priceless info I was hoping to get.

The lady I'm going with is an RHS member so is well used to fighting her way around Chelsea. I will trail in her wake!

She has just acquired an E-510 two lens kit and will be using it in anger for the first time! She has a very good "eye" and has got some excellent shots with compacts in past years.

I wasn't actually intending to take the tripod but I was intending to take all the lenses you mentioned. I dare say a bit of lens sharing might go on.

Old 19th May 2008

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts

Just go out and buy a couple of extra compact flash cards of 4g each. Look forward to seeing some wonderful botanical shots. have fun
Old 19th May 2008
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorky View Post
Just go out and buy a couple of extra compact flash cards of 4g each. Look forward to seeing some wonderful botanical shots. have fun
Just worked it out - we will have 11GB between us - that should be enough!!