Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 10th July 2011

Thanked 1,489 Times in 1,440 Posts
Liked 4,096 Times in 1,854 Posts
Wildflowers of the Warby Ranges

Today's foul, filthy, miserable, lousy, windy, wet weather didn't deter me
from braving those elements to give the PEN another whirl, this time wearing the 50-200 SWD
and the camera at first in macro mode before switching to aperture priority.

The wind seemed to know just when I was ready to trip the shutter by suddenly gusting at the critical moment setting the wildflowers dancing!

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
Old 10th July 2011

Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Wildflowers of the Warby Ranges

Both you and the Pen have done a great job with the colours considering bad weather. I especially like the warm orange red in the first (not sure which plant).

My favourite is the orchid (at least I think it's an orchid), but I would have liked to see those two brown stems gone...

My photoblog: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/blog
My gallery: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/

My book on Viovio
Old 10th July 2011

Thanked 1,274 Times in 1,002 Posts
Liked 1,892 Times in 1,058 Posts

I'm not going to critique these photos (not qualified enough), but say how much I like these shots of the Cat's Claw Grevillea (Grevillea alpina), Paper Daisy or Everlasting Daisy (going through a few name changes, Helichrysum bracteatum; Bracteantha bracteata; Xeranthemum bracteatum). The third looks like a Leopard Orchid (Diuris pardina) followed by the (Australian) Native Sarsaparilla (Hardenbergia Violacea).

Thanks for giving me something else to ID.

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 10th July 2011

Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts

Aha, Ross you gave yourself away! Great! I have some Aussie flora for you to ID for me. Would you??

My photoblog: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/blog
My gallery: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/

My book on Viovio
Old 10th July 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathrine Spikkerud View Post
Both you and the Pen have done a great job with the colours considering bad weather. I especially like the warm orange red in the first (not sure which plant). My favourite is the orchid (at least I think it's an orchid), but I would have liked to see those two brown stems gone...
Thanks, Cathrine. I confess that I'm really not into ID'ing anything, I know that is hopelessly unacademic. All such wondrous things are nameless, I just call them beautiful - it even worked at the disco, "Hey Beautiful! "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
I'm not going to critique these photos (not qualified enough), but say how much I like these shots of the Cat's Claw Grevillea (Grevillea alpina), Paper Daisy or Everlasting Daisy (going through a few name changes, Helichrysum bracteatum; Bracteantha bracteata; Xeranthemum bracteatum). The third looks like a Leopard Orchid (Diuris pardina) followed by the (Australian) Native Sarsaparilla (Hardenbergia Violacea). Thanks for giving me something else to ID.
I need to do better next time, Ross, shooting for a little more dof. In spite of parading my ignorance to Cathrine above I must thank you for drawing upon your impressive botanical knowledge to name the species for those that like to know. Lyn is yet to have her say and no doubt it will be as forensically precise as yours!

Old 11th July 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathrine Spikkerud View Post
Aha, Ross you gave yourself away! Great! I have some Aussie flora for you to ID for me. Would you??
Catherine, my method is to know something about the common name or botanical name & then search images until a match comes. With that hopefully a more accurate name comes & then I search specifically for that botanical name to ensure the appearances & other criteria are met. Botanical name changes occur too which adds to the confusion, but quite often Wikipedia can help too. Buying stuff off ebay can be approached the same way too. Find the item & then re-enter the different different descriptions that show up so the best deal can be found amongst the different descriptions of the same item. Yes Catherine, I can try to ID your plants if you can tell me where you found (or photographed) them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
I need to do better next time, Ross, shooting for a little more dof. In spite of parading my ignorance to Cathrine above I must thank you for drawing upon your impressive botanical knowledge to name the species for those that like to know. Lyn is yet to have her say and no doubt it will be as forensically precise as yours!
Thanks Mark & I'm interested to hear Lyn's response too.

Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 11th July 2011
Floribunda

Hi!
Mark - These are quite nice and you should be happy with your first results from the Pen. Good on you for braving the elements, and considering the suspect light, I think you did a great job.

#1 The Cat's Claw Grevillea is lovely, and depicts the cluster-style growth of the plant well.

#2 The Paper Daisy shot is certainly different. What is that grey object in the background? I find it intriguing, but distracting.

#3 Thanks Ross for the ID on this one. It must be Diuris pardina but the markings are a little different and the stem doesn't look quite purple enough. This could just be the lighting of the shot. Do you know if the Leopards' markings vary within their species? Diuris maculata is found mainly in NSW, which is why I say it must be pardina.
Whatever Mark - this is my favourite of the set. The only thing I would alter is getting rid of that large yellow petal on the left and so exposing the nice long stem even more.

#4 The Hardenbergia. Always difficult to capture the lilac/blue of this plant. If I have a grizzle about Oly's colours it is with the blues.
I suspect you shot these in Vivid, and the blue is a bit OTT for my eye. At first I though the photo was too busy, but it is a vine & the photo shows this. Not sure about that centre leaf - what do the others think?

I have rattled on a bit - hope this is OK. I enjoyed seeing this set.
Old 11th July 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Mark nice to see some of your native flowers Thank You for sharing !

For me, the first in Macro mode presents far greater clarity - infact this image makes me believe that your PEN IQ is very, very close to the E-5, (maybe !) I say maybe, as resized jpgs are difficult to compare ... I would love to see your .raw on my PC screen ?
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 11th July 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floribunda View Post
... #2 The Paper Daisy shot is certainly different. What is that grey object in the background? I find it intriguing, but distracting.
#3 Diuris maculata is found mainly in NSW, which is why I say it must be pardina ... this is my favourite of the set. The only thing I would alter is getting rid of that large yellow petal on the left and so exposing the nice long stem even more.
#4 The Hardenbergia. Always difficult to capture the lilac/blue of this plant. If I have a grizzle about Oly's colours it is with the blues.
I suspect you shot these in Vivid, and the blue is a bit OTT for my eye. At first I though the photo was too busy, but it is a vine & the photo shows this. Not sure about that centre leaf - what do the others think? ...
Lyn - the neutral shape behind the daisy is a dead gumleaf, a typical detail of composting ground cover. This early isolated bloom was close to the ground and without disturbing everthing natural surrounding it, impossible to avoid.
Of course I shot Hardenbergia in Vivid, I just love colour over botanical authenticity ... artistic licence if you will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
For me, the first in Macro mode presents far greater clarity - infact this image makes me believe that your PEN IQ is very, very close to the E-5, (maybe !) I say maybe, as resized jpgs are difficult to compare ... I would love to see your raw on my PC screen ?
Chevvy - I don't shoot RAW - these images may vindicate the practice of shooting only Large Fine jpegs.

Old 11th July 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floribunda View Post
#3 Thanks Ross for the ID on this one. It must be Diuris pardina but the markings are a little different and the stem doesn't look quite purple enough. This could just be the lighting of the shot. Do you know if the Leopards' markings vary within their species? Diuris maculata is found mainly in NSW, which is why I say it must be pardina.
Whatever Mark - this is my favourite of the set. The only thing I would alter is getting rid of that large yellow petal on the left and so exposing the nice long stem even more.
Hi Lyn,
I didn't spend much time looking at the Tiger or Leopard Orchid, because it could be the Diuris sulphurea (Tiger Orchid), but the flowering times are from late spring to early summer. The markings seem to be much more like it, but being wild & not a cultivar, I'm sure there would be some variation, but maybe not enough to be indistinguishable between the pardina & the sulphurea. Try google images (a number are just from photographers who don't know much more either) for the sulphurea & see what you think. Here is one site http://www.upclose.net.au/gallery/se...b_gallery.html

also this is more authoritative
http://orchids.rnr.id.au/Diuris1/index.html
http://orchids.rnr.id.au/Diuris3/index.html
ID's can be a challenge sometimes.

Old 15th July 2011
Floribunda

Thanks Ross for these links - I found them most interesting.
They all seem to vary with the markings considerably - what an ID nightmare!
Our local ones have a lot more brown on the top petals.
Anyway - it has been most interesting, if not a great time-waster!
Old 7th September 2011
swebber

Wow I really love the pictures you have taken. The colors of the flowers are just amazing. The second photo reminds me of a bouquet of flowers sent to UK. I have sent such yellow colored flowers to a friend of mine who lives in UK and she loved them. I think I will also try to take pictures of different blossoms today.
Old 12th September 2011

swebber - thanks for your comment left 4 days ago and I apologise for the late reply.