Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 13th February 2011

Liked 648 Times in 279 Posts
Few peeps shooting birds here. Anyone been to Gambia?

I went there for a business trip a few years ago. Lovely country and people (but about as poor as poor can be, and with an slightly unhinged leader). The place is known for its birds. There were an awful lot of birders there with expensive cameras, lenses and sound recording equipment. And yet on the various photo forums I've visited, I never see any threads about the place.

I'm not a birder myself (and wasn't even into photography when I was last sent there) but if I'm ever sent back, I think that would be just cause to treat myself to a 70-300.
Old 13th February 2011

Liked 158 Times in 107 Posts
Re: Few peeps shooting birds here. Anyone been to Gambia?

Hi Not a Photo Forum, but have a look on http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=567

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 13th February 2011
Administrator

Liked 490 Times in 272 Posts
Re: Few peeps shooting birds here. Anyone been to Gambia?

We've been and it was superb - about 12 years ago so some of this will have changed

We're not hardcore birders, more general naturalists, and we found plenty to interest us for 10 days. It was in pre digitital days so no pictures to post, but here are some high (and low) lghts

We stayed in Kotu - a great place for the birders as there are sewage works that atteact the birds (don't laugh it's true) there are also good local walks that you can do in the area of the Kotu Stream where loads of local birding guides hang out.

We booked on trips via the holiday rep to Abuko Nature reserve - guide was awful "BIRD" was as good as we got as he pointed upwards, Tendaba Camp for a 2 day trip - Guide was superb and knowledgable, also trips to Brufut and Tanjii with a local guide (holiday reps will tell you not to do this, but we found it OK with just a little hasssling for extra "fuel money" for a detour we didn't ask for!)

We also went to Lamin for a dawn choris and breakfast, and to the crocodile pools where I took close ups of crocodile teeth with a macro lens (it was very overfed and sleepy), and of course into Banjul

We used local taxi's despite the tour reps saying not to - they were 1/2 the price of the designated hotel taxi's and the range of restaurants was excellent

Like anywhere where poverty is rife, people are always willing to sell you anything from crafts to "guiding services" and more. We had no issue with cameras and binoculars - all the birders have them and usually better quality than ours. On the beach we had a couple of times we were hassled by people selling things, but all the hotels have guards on their section sof the beaches who shoo these people away

In terms of quality of birding I was 4 foot from a Vulture and about 10 foot from on Osprey in the same day. There are decent birding guides available through the NHBS bookstore.

You would want a long lens, but good mid range as well because you may be closer than you think.

Summary... super place, be careful, you don't NEED to go on a fully pre-organized and expensive tour if you're used to travel in these type of places, but I would look for at least 2 days of dedicated or small group guiding near the start of your tour to get you going and into the swing of things. It also has the benefit that the good guides know each other by names and preferred locations and you get passed on from one to the other which is how we ended up getting a local guide for 2 days

Hope that helps

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 14th February 2011

Liked 648 Times in 279 Posts
Re: Lamin? Do you mean the lodge?

We had lunch there on a Saturday tour and a cheeky monkey pinched my chips. Yes, for anyone into nature (birds and monkeys featuring heavily), Gambia has a lot to offer the photographer IMHO:

Since you mention Lamin, these were taken back before I understood about highlights and other photography related stuff: