Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Photo challenges

Photo challenges Meet the challenge of posting your photos in fun competitions set by e-group users, or set one yourself!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10th February 2011
kerso
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Prize competition themes wanted

Hi Guys,
I would like to run a prize competition for a bit of fun. Prize can be a 4GB memory card or a photographers vest.
PLease give me some themes and we can run after weekend. Ian.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10th February 2011
stevednp3's Avatar
stevednp3 stevednp3 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wales
Posts: 1,787
Thanks: 76
Thanked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Likes: 2
Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts
Re: Prize competition themes wanted

Hi kerso, thanks for the competition and for delivering my e5 so quickly

Seeing as there is a lot more cameras around with art filters, how about a theme based on using them ? Might actually make us use them
__________________
E-M10 Mk2 - 14-42mm EZ - 40-150mm ED - Falcon 8mm Fisheye - FL-36R

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11th February 2011
kerso
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Prize competition themes wanted

Steve, some members may not have them still but we could try that another time. Pick a couple of themes to get us started and we can do competition at weekend. Will look at all themes offered and pick one once we have some.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevednp3 View Post
Hi kerso, thanks for the competition and for delivering my e5 so quickly

Seeing as there is a lot more cameras around with art filters, how about a theme based on using them ? Might actually make us use them
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11th February 2011
catkins catkins is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North east England
Posts: 1,193
Thanks: 106
Thanked 118 Times in 87 Posts
Likes: 135
Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts
Re: Prize competition themes wanted

Well, with all the discussions and worries perhaps about the future for the Olympus brand, during these times of constant worry about recessions, jobs, etc., maybe you need to have a theme that links to looking to a positive future.

So my first theme would perhaps be a little predicable in being called 'The crystal ball' (and definitely no crystal balls photos allowed!!) - images entered would be an interpretation that would show creativity to give a positive message about the future.

My second theme suggestion would perhaps be a celebration of Olympus and its cameras, thus linking in with you Kerso and with us as its 'devoted' users.
And I use the devotion term on purpose as the theme would be actually based on the Twelve Olympians (Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Demeter, Athena, Dionysus, Apollo, Artemis, Ares, Aphrodite, Hephaestus and Hermes).
You could either run this as a one off competition or over twelve months.
The entries would perhaps use the Wikipedia interpretation of what each God represented (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_Olympians) - so for example "Apollo - God of light, music, poetry, prophecy and archery" would invite entries that showed the best combination of at least two or three of those headings, to thus encourage perhaps an image that combines good lighting with a musical instrument or piece of poetry!

All the best and great idea to 'sponsor' a competition - I haven't used you to date but I commend your thought in giving something back to the Olympus owners.

Regards
Chris
__________________
If I'm out I'm JustSwanningAround
or more often at www.facebook.com/JustSwanningAround
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11th February 2011
kerso
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Prize competition themes wanted

Cheers Chris, I like your idea, let's see what we have over weekend then will decide. I can keep a note of all ideas. Regards Ian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
Well, with all the discussions and worries perhaps about the future for the Olympus brand, during these times of constant worry about recessions, jobs, etc., maybe you need to have a theme that links to looking to a positive future.

So my first theme would perhaps be a little predicable in being called 'The crystal ball' (and definitely no crystal balls photos allowed!!) - images entered would be an interpretation that would show creativity to give a positive message about the future.

My second theme suggestion would perhaps be a celebration of Olympus and its cameras, thus linking in with you Kerso and with us as its 'devoted' users.
And I use the devotion term on purpose as the theme would be actually based on the Twelve Olympians (Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Demeter, Athena, Dionysus, Apollo, Artemis, Ares, Aphrodite, Hephaestus and Hermes).
You could either run this as a one off competition or over twelve months.
The entries would perhaps use the Wikipedia interpretation of what each God represented (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_Olympians) - so for example "Apollo - God of light, music, poetry, prophecy and archery" would invite entries that showed the best combination of at least two or three of those headings, to thus encourage perhaps an image that combines good lighting with a musical instrument or piece of poetry!

All the best and great idea to 'sponsor' a competition - I haven't used you to date but I commend your thought in giving something back to the Olympus owners.

Regards
Chris
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11th February 2011
Zuiko's Avatar
Zuiko Zuiko is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dunmow, Essex
Posts: 21,903
Thanks: 1,971
Thanked 3,124 Times in 2,434 Posts
Likes: 3,330
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,084 Posts
Re: Prize competition themes wanted

Hi Ian,

This is very nice, thank you.

How about "The Olympus Advantage."

The idea would be to submit a picture that was made easier by the use of an Olympus E-System DSLR or Pen camera. It might be art filters. It could be the x2 crop factor for a great telephoto shot. Maybe the increased magnification of a macro image or a shot taken in really wet weather by the E3/E5. Then again it could be a candid street shot made possible by one of the discreet Pen range. It could be a low level (or high level) shot made easier by live view on the fully articulated screen or it might be a lowlight shot made easier by an f2 zoom plus sensor image stabilization. Maybe the built in level has aided a perfectly straight horizon in a seascape or the ability to use a legacy lens with an adaptor has contributed to a great image. Then, of course, is the huge depth of field available, particularly when using one of the fantastic ultra wide zooms. The facility for remote off-camera multiple unit flash control is another big plus. Even the unique (amongst DSLRs) 4:3 aspect ratio can often be an advantage.

Let's celebrate the many advantages that our Olympus cameras bring us! Our cameras are limited only by our imagination!
__________________
John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11th February 2011
kerso
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Prize competition themes wanted

John, will probably make the first competition simpler . ie just name a theme such as winter, speed, red etc etc. Ian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Hi Ian,

This is very nice, thank you.

How about "The Olympus Advantage."

The idea would be to submit a picture that was made easier by the use of an Olympus E-System DSLR or Pen camera. It might be art filters. It could be the x2 crop factor for a great telephoto shot. Maybe the increased magnification of a macro image or a shot taken in really wet weather by the E3/E5. Then again it could be a candid street shot made possible by one of the discreet Pen range. It could be a low level (or high level) shot made easier by live view on the fully articulated screen or it might be a lowlight shot made easier by an f2 zoom plus sensor image stabilization. Maybe the built in level has aided a perfectly straight horizon in a seascape or the ability to use a legacy lens with an adaptor has contributed to a great image. Then, of course, is the huge depth of field available, particularly when using one of the fantastic ultra wide zooms. The facility for remote off-camera multiple unit flash control is another big plus. Even the unique (amongst DSLRs) 4:3 aspect ratio can often be an advantage.

Let's celebrate the many advantages that our Olympus cameras bring us! Our cameras are limited only by our imagination!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11th February 2011
shenstone's Avatar
shenstone shenstone is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 3,350
Thanks: 152
Thanked 315 Times in 239 Posts
Likes: 403
Liked 490 Times in 272 Posts
Re: Prize competition themes wanted

Hi Ian

Thanks for adding to the site

Given where we are at this time of year about about "Sprinigng into the future" should alow a wide enough interpretation for some none obvious interpretations

regards
andy
__________________
My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11th February 2011
davidsa
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Prize competition themes wanted

Surely most enigmatic technical term that has been invented is: "circle of confusion".

How about that? Could be something based on its actual meaning, or, for example, someone looking puzzled blowing smoke rings, or an anarchic game of "ring a ring a roses", or reflections or something round in rippled water or ....
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11th February 2011
MotoCroz MotoCroz is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: St.Helens
Posts: 149
Thanks: 10
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Likes: 1
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Prize competition themes wanted

How about contrasts. Either a pair of pics that contrast with each other. or a single showing both.
__________________
E-600
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11th February 2011
kerso
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Prize competition themes wanted

Thanks for themes, keep them coming. Ian.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11th February 2011
benvendetta's Avatar
benvendetta benvendetta is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pontypool, South Wales
Posts: 3,739
Thanks: 83
Thanked 296 Times in 261 Posts
Likes: 166
Liked 337 Times in 227 Posts
Re: Prize competition themes wanted

If you want as many people as possible to enter the competition, the theme needs to be as open as possible.
Folks in camera clubs know all about this!

I like the theme Contrasts, as already suggested with the theme in one image. This should inspire some serious thinking as well as some more conventional thinking.

Who were you thinking as a judge, or were you planning on throwing it open to voting from the masses! The second method you are likely to get the favourite image rather than the best image - not necessarily the same thing IMO!
__________________
Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11th February 2011
kerso
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Prize competition themes wanted

Dave, thanks for your input, I have run a lot of competitions over at another photo site so have a good idea and agree with what you say regards the judging. I need to think about how it will be judged. If this competition is successful I will be offering more. Once a theme is chosen I will start 2 new threads. One for images only and the other for discussing the images. It works well and makes it quicker to view images if thats all on that thread. I am looking forward to starting this new competition for members I think we should get some great images.
Thanks again. Ian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
If you want as many people as possible to enter the competition, the theme needs to be as open as possible.
Folks in camera clubs know all about this!

I like the theme Contrasts, as already suggested with the theme in one image. This should inspire some serious thinking as well as some more conventional thinking.

Who were you thinking as a judge, or were you planning on throwing it open to voting from the masses! The second method you are likely to get the favourite image rather than the best image - not necessarily the same thing IMO!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11th February 2011
Janet's Avatar
Janet Janet is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Padiham, Lancashire
Posts: 1,168
Thanks: 91
Thanked 128 Times in 87 Posts
Likes: 25
Liked 134 Times in 50 Posts
Re: Prize competition themes wanted

If this is anything like the threads you've run before on another site, then it should be a lot of fun!

Janet
__________________
My flickr photostream....


Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11th February 2011
kerso
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Prize competition themes wanted

Same idea, should be fun Janet. Please be sure to enter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
If this is anything like the threads you've run before on another site, then it should be a lot of fun!

Janet
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The competition... Makonde Micro Four Thirds 4 21st September 2010 04:56 PM
competition. ringneck The lounge 2 8th March 2009 04:01 AM
Ian's new prize for us? KEITHBD Foto Fair 7 29th November 2008 08:05 PM
Caption competition snaarman The lounge 12 14th June 2008 10:49 PM
Caption Competition! Scapula Memory Foto Fair 9 20th December 2007 11:30 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:36 PM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger