Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-5

Olympus E-5 E-5 specific discussion.

Old 1st February 2011

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts
Re: E5 and unsharp photos

Having had problems with trying to achieve focus on occasions with my E5 and 300mm f2.8 (as I have mentioned before) when photgraphing mainly smaller birds, today (very sunny and bright) I used MF only with IS1 and all is fine. This seems to be a problem with the E5 firmware as it has never happened with my E30 and the same lens. It is almost as if the spot (small) AF area is very big and gets confused with everything else around. After this I am going back to the E30 with the 300mm and use the E5 with shorter zooms which give no problems. I hope that something is sorted out soon as there are so many posts on this forum and Four thirds User for it to be just isolated operator error problems. When I have time I will do a direct comparison with both cameras under identical conditions and send the results to Olympus.

David
Old 2nd February 2011
Kiwi Paul

My experiences with using the small focus spot were the opposite of yours. All the pics taken in my high ISO bird post were taken using the small AF area and I achieved pretty much 100% focus accuracy (using the 90-250). Using the larger AF area the previous day I had a few missed focused shots. With the 90-250 the E5 does focus better than the E3 (well more reliably) but with other lenses I can't say I've noticed any difference.

Paul
Old 2nd February 2011
Kiwi Paul

Re: E5 and unsharp photos- Update

I sent Olympus some sample pictures and they have come back saying the camera appears to be faulty and to send it to them for a warranty repair.

Paul
Old 2nd February 2011

Liked 158 Times in 107 Posts

Paul, as an E-5 user, you really can't have had it that long. I would have thought that your supplier should be exchanging it for a brand new one if you bought it from a "Normal" shop, rather than going through a warranty repair process with Olympus direct.
I can see the advantage with the latter though, as presumably it will be repaired and fully checked out by someone actually looking for problems, rather than someone on a production line looking for it to pass a QA check.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 2nd February 2011

Liked 872 Times in 309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofmix View Post
I sent Olympus some sample pictures and they have come back saying the camera appears to be faulty and to send it to them for a warranty repair.

Paul
I looked through quite a few images the other day and found that there is a greater degree of softness to some portrait shots than landscape.
Having said that I think that the amount that are miss queued with the IS (if that is the problem) are quite small relative to good sharp shots, however there are certainly a few there.

I wonder whether it's a mirror slap issue in portrait orientation, where a slower shutter speed is more likely to show the problem? The ones that appear to have been affected for me tend to be around the 1/40 to 1/80 second.
I think I will keep a close eye on how it continues to perform, if begins to be more of an issue I will contact Oly as you did.

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 2nd February 2011
Kiwi Paul

Hah, I've bought gear from "normal" shops before, a Sony Camcorder and a Canon point and shoot, both broke not long after buying them, they were repaired under warranty and took weeks to be fixed, the Canon had to go back again to fix what wasn't broke which took more time.
I bought my E3 from Amazon which had to go back to fix the viewfinder display when it failed, under warranty, it came back with the VF display fixed but the diopter wouldn't adjust properly so back it went and to staighten the tilted VF which I asked them to fix with the viewfinder display. It eventually came back completely fixed.

So I'd rather save a few hundred quid and buy from Kerso and just take my chances. But as you can imagine I'm not holding my breath for the camera coming back all fixed and calibrated by a "conscientious" competent Oly technician, I just hope it comes back with everything that was working still working and the IS fixed, we'll see.

Paul
Old 2nd February 2011
Kiwi Paul

Turn IS off and see if the softness disappears, most of my issues were also around lowish shutter speeds (1/40 - 1/180s) too and seemed to disappear at 1/500.

Paul
Old 2nd February 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofmix View Post
Turn IS off and see if the softness disappears, most of my issues were also around lowish shutter speeds (1/40 - 1/180s) too and seemed to disappear at 1/500.

Paul
OK I'll give that a try and see if it makes a difference

Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 11th February 2011
Kiwi Paul

I've got it back already, a 1 week turnaround so that was quick.
I've not had a chance to test it yet.
The repair form isn't very confidence inspiring though, a bit hard to interpret what they did but no mention of the IS system been touched.

Paul
Old 11th February 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Interested in seeing if whatever they did for a repair has fixed the problem or not, do keep us posted Paul.
Old 11th February 2011

Yes please keep us posted Paul,
I've not had much time to get out with the camera recently (work pressures) but it looks like a walk is on the offing tomorrow so might be good opportunity to some try shots with and without IS.

Capture One Pro
My flickr