Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 10th March 2008

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Olympus Studio 2

I have looked throught the forums and seen a few people use it.

So the question is:

Is it worth the 99Euros for a license key or is there a better way to deal with E3 RAW files

No do not feel like updateing to CS3, and Bibble Pro is cheaper and I know works quite well

Cheers

Kit: Olympus OM4, OMD E5 MkII And some other junk to make it all work.
Old 10th March 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,219 Posts
Liked 1,627 Times in 723 Posts
Re: Olympus Studio 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by knikki View Post
I have looked throught the forums and seen a few people use it.

So the question is:

Is it worth the 99Euros for a license key or is there a better way to deal with E3 RAW files

No do not feel like updateing to CS3, and Bibble Pro is cheaper and I know works quite well

Cheers
Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0 is excellent value for around £69. Its Adobe Camera RAW support is very good.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 10th March 2008
Scapula Memory

You can try it out on a 30 day trial, best way to find out if you can get on with something.
Old 10th March 2008

Liked 1,554 Times in 996 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knikki View Post
I have an E3 and use Photoshop CS2.

I convert the E3 ORF files to DNG using the free Adobe DNG Camera Raw converter, then process with CS2 Adobe Camera Raw.

Works well for me!

Jim
Old 11th March 2008
Johnny Jetstream

There is nothing that will give you better quality files from RAW BUT it is a real pain to use. On My Mac (8-core) it runs just about fast and will quit every fourth or fifth file processed like clockwork. Also, none of the other RAW converters have specific control over distortion, auto tone etc
Old 11th March 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Personally, I am a fan of Lightroom and have been since beta test days. It's not cheap though.

I haven't used Studio but "Viewer" and "Master" are just too clunky to make me want to try.

Also worth mentioning is GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program - which has most of the functionality of Photoshop) and the companion converter UFRAW - both are free downloads.

Silkypix also has its fans - and the basic version is free.
Old 11th March 2008

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughofBardfield View Post
Also worth mentioning is GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program - which has most of the functionality of Photoshop) and the companion converter UFRAW - both are free downloads.
And alongside GIMP - and drawing on one of its coverters there is RawTherapee - another fully featured raw converter/manipulator. And of course - free.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 12th March 2008
250swb

I
Quote:
s it worth the 99Euros for a license key or is there a better way to deal with E3 RAW files
No it isn't worth the money.

You are better saving your money and buy Photoshop Elements 6 which uses the same RAW converter as CS3 and Lightroom (ACR 4.3.1). You would be able to upgrade your license later to CS3 from there, and if you ask most people a question, or read a newstand magazine, the explanations and answers will be spoken in 'Photoshop'. It is a worldwide language for good reason, it is the best product.
Old 12th March 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
I

No it isn't worth the money.

You are better saving your money and buy Photoshop Elements 6 which uses the same RAW converter as CS3 and Lightroom (ACR 4.3.1). You would be able to upgrade your license later to CS3 from there, and if you ask most people a question, or read a newstand magazine, the explanations and answers will be spoken in 'Photoshop'. It is a worldwide language for good reason, it is the best product.
I think there is a lot of good advice in what you say. But I'd not be too harsh on Studio. It's a lot cheaper than, say, Lightroom and is really complementary to Photoshop, like Lightroom. You do need a powerful PC or it can be a bit slow and clunky, but it produces excellent results and it does have multiple image batch processing. It also models the camera's internal processing very closely, which can be useful and it has the camera remote control functionality if you need it.

Ian

Old 12th March 2008
Scapula Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
I
You would be able to upgrade your license later to CS3 from there, and if you ask most people a question, or read a newstand magazine, the explanations and answers will be spoken in 'Photoshop'. It is a worldwide language for good reason, it is the best product.
Is it really the best or is it becoming the M$ Windows of the photo world? Likely to strangle the opposition (or buy them up) then charge the end consumer what it likes for its products and even rip off the existing customers through expensive upgrade paths? To me it is starting to look that way, and you will then find that just like Windows it might seem like the best but actually there is little to compare it to whilst in the meantime you are paying through the nose for it.

The best thing the OP can do is trial everything that is out there and the one he uses the most will be the best one for him regardless of cost. It might come as a shock to you but some people do not choose Adobe.
Old 12th March 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Knikki,

I am still trying to familiarise myself with Olympus Studio 2 and find it contains more functions than I have yet used or needed so far. Previously, I was using Photoshop Elements 4 but became disillusioned with it when I found it could not process my RAW files taken on my E-510. This was also the case when I tried to see my RAW files from my E-3. So, having used Olympus Master for basic operations I began to use some of the functions of the trial version of Olympus Studio 2 and eventually decided to pay for the Code and have been using Olympus Studio 2 ever since. Which software you buy must ultimately depend on how sophisticated you want your software to be and how much manipulation you require of your photographs. So far I am very satisfied with Olympus Studio 2 and Olympus Master and don't intend to pay for the latest Photoshop Elements 6. Since, it appears that the Adobe Photoshop Elements products do not appear to have a free or discounted upgrade process. If I am wrong about the upgrade process of Elements I would like to be corrected !! My son-in-law (who is a professional Graphics Artist/Designer) uses the professional Photoshop CS 3 but, from what I have seen of it, it appears to be much too sophisticated for my purposes and, as an amateur/enthusiast photographer, I am not convinced yet that I want or even need to be able to manipulate my photographs to that degree. Also if I want to part with that sort of money I think I would prefer to put it towards another lens.

Regards,

Ray.
Old 12th March 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Shotter View Post
My son-in-law (who is a professional Graphics Artist/Designer) uses the professional Photoshop CS 3 but, from what I have seen of it, it appears to be much too sophisticated for my purposes and, as an amateur/enthusiast photographer, I am not convinced yet that I want or even need to be able to manipulate my photographs to that degree. Also if I want to part with that sort of money I think I would prefer to put it towards another lens.
Most people seem to find Elements sufficient. I have a copy of CS (which came with my PC), but since I got Lightroom I rarely use it (but when I need it, I really need it. Until that point, I found GIMP was perfectly satisfactory, although I wasn't shooting RAW then.

Many of the extra bells and whistles in CS3 can be found in other packages (many of which are free- or share-ware) if you look around. However, some are limited, eg to TIFFs. Scapula Memory is quite right about the dominance of Adobe - just because it's the market leader, doesn't mean it's automatically the best. Software is just like a camera - personal preference and working style means a lot.
Old 12th March 2008
Johnny Jetstream

I think there is some confusion about what Studio is for - it is a RAW converter that at a stretch can be used as an image editor. The RAW conversion in CS3 or elements is vastly inferior despite the fact that Photoshop is a fantastic image editor.

If you want the best image quality you should use Studio to precisely convert RAW files into tiffs and then use CS3 for image editing. I use Lightroom for cataloguing and previewing files, send them to Studio for conversion and them polish in CS3.
Old 12th March 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Jetstream View Post
I think there is some confusion about what Studio is for - it is a RAW converter that at a stretch can be used as an image editor. The RAW conversion in CS3 or elements is vastly inferior despite the fact that Photoshop is a fantastic image editor.

If you want the best image quality you should use Studio to precisely convert RAW files into tiffs and then use CS3 for image editing. I use Lightroom for cataloguing and previewing files, send them to Studio for conversion and them polish in CS3.
I think you're being unfair to Adobe in that bit of your statement. A year ago I'd have agreed to an extent - especially concerning ACR's sharpening, which tended to be very harsh on Olympus RAW files. But ACR has been refined steadily and it's pretty good now. Even better in many ways is DxO Optics Pro, but there is no native support for Olympus RAW files at the moment.

Ian

Old 12th March 2008
250swb

Quote:
If you want the best image quality you should use Studio to precisely convert RAW files into tiffs and then use CS3 for image editing.
Balderdash. The main thing that Studio does (also Master) during its RAW processing is add saturation, tweak the tone curve, add more local contrast, and add more sharpening to the photo, all by default. These are things you have no control over after its initial implementation. So to the untrained eye it instantly looks more colourful and appealing. It is why baby rattles are bright colours, and why Studio does the same thing to a grown ups perception.

ACR on the other hand provides all these functions, and more, without forcing you to use them. It is the work of a few minutes to mimic the same functions that Studio applies in ACR and save it as a preset profile, which you can adjust as you want, and use each time you want to process an Olympus file.