Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Standard zoom and mid range

Standard zoom and mid range Lenses with focal lengths larger than 12mm, but no longer than 60mm, includes standard zooms and portrait primes plus some macro lenses.

Old 10th August 2010
Bromptonbloke

Re: Is f2.8 enough?

Just taken the plunge and bought a multi-coated 50mm f1.8 for 22 off ebay. Another 27 for an adaptor on top.
Can't wait to experiment further!
Old 10th August 2010

Liked 1,310 Times in 792 Posts

[quote=Howi;81626]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I think I paid 29 for my Vivitar 35mm f1.9 so it paid for itself the first time I licensed a photo from it.

QUOTE]

Yes! but 35mm is not the 24/25mm FL he was looking at
But it's closer than the 50mm you were talking about.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 11th August 2010
Alan Clogwyn

You won't be disappointed with the 50mm/1.8, it's a joy to use. Not a bad price - mine was 21 but was from a non tog who didnt know much about it, and hadnt realised it was attached to a Tamron 2x teleconverter, which usually sell for more than that on their own!
Old 11th August 2010

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clogwyn View Post
You won't be disappointed with the 50mm/1.8, it's a joy to use. Not a bad price - mine was 21 but was from a non tog who didnt know much about it, and hadnt realised it was attached to a Tamron 2x teleconverter, which usually sell for more than that on their own!

Nice deal: I once bought a very clean Tamron zoom with Nikon mount for 15, sold the mount for 13.

Back to the original question: You might try a 28mm f2 or f2.8 to mimic an old style standard lens, and in fact I did the same a couple of years ago with my E400, but I found it very difficult to focus accurately.

These days I restrict myself to 50mm and longer for legacy lenses, but that may just be an eyesight thing. A 50 f1.8 will certainly give you nice tight DoF and should be a cheap solution.

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 11th August 2010
pepper

I use a few lagacy lenses in my Panasonic DMC-L1, the main advantage being is it already has focus asssit in the camera so no need to buy the expensive adapters to achieve focus.

I've just tried the same on my E3 and its far harder to get the focus just right although having the much bigger viewfinder does go some way towards getting it right.
Old 12th August 2010
Bromptonbloke

UPDATE: Re: Is f2.8 enough?

50mm f1.8 arrived today, as did OM-4/3 adapter.

I was initially disappointed when the OM adapter wouldn't attach to the OM lens. After 30 minutes trying, and looking at the bayonet fastening from every angle possible, I decided that it was the AF chip that was fouling the back of the OM lens. I broke it off and the adapter now works.

So, is it worth glueing it back on, bearing in mind that the adapter will be then permanently affixed to the lens?

Shooting-wise I'm already impressed. I can now photograph indoors without flash, and I'm getting the shallow DOF I was craving ...

I sense an addiction for legacy lenses starting.
Old 12th August 2010

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: UPDATE: Re: Is f2.8 enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bromptonbloke View Post
50mm f1.8 arrived today, as did OM-4/3 adapter.

I was initially disappointed when the OM adapter wouldn't attach to the OM lens. After 30 minutes trying, and looking at the bayonet fastening from every angle possible, I decided that it was the AF chip that was fouling the back of the OM lens. I broke it off and the adapter now works.

So, is it worth glueing it back on, bearing in mind that the adapter will be then permanently affixed to the lens?
Can I ask what eBay supplier you bought it off. I was thinking of buying an OM to 4/3rds converter with AF confirmation from Roxsen in Hong Kong. As well as this I was planning to buy a 55mm reversing adapter.
Old 12th August 2010
Bromptonbloke

Pixmania
Old 14th August 2010
Bromptonbloke

UPDATE: Re: Is f2.8 enough?

I've spent a little time with the legacy 50mm OM set up and here are my first impressions:

1) I now understand what 'pin-sharp' means, but I also produce more duff images;
2) From (1) I'm learning to adjust the aperture to suit the photo, rather than leaving it wide-open and letting the AF work its magic;
3) Manual focus can be tricky when stopping down so focus, then stop down afterwards (if the scene is static);
4) I'm thinking about the composition more to try and get the most out of a shot.

Thanks to everyone for the help so far. I think I'll come back!

Richard
Old 15th August 2010
Alan Clogwyn

Re: UPDATE: Re: Is f2.8 enough?

Quote:
I've spent a little time with the legacy 50mm OM set up and here are my first impressions:

1) I now understand what 'pin-sharp' means, but I also produce more duff images;
2) From (1) I'm learning to adjust the aperture to suit the photo, rather than leaving it wide-open and letting the AF work its magic;
3) Manual focus can be tricky when stopping down so focus, then stop down afterwards (if the scene is static);
4) I'm thinking about the composition more to try and get the most out of a shot.

Thanks to everyone for the help so far. I think I'll come back!

Richard
I don't bother focusing at wider aperures with any of my OM lenses it just wastes time, if I'm shooting at F4 I focus at F4. If you've a steady hand you could always use the live view if you need a bright display. Leave it at F11 for a while and you soon forget about the low light, until you change to 1.8 and go all squinty!
Old 15th August 2010
Bromptonbloke

No live view with my E-500. DOes live view make much of a difference?
Old 16th August 2010
Alan Clogwyn

Quote:
No live view with my E-500. DOes live view make much of a difference?
Only if you have a tripo, it's too jerky to be used like the screen of a digital compact, but it doesnt darken when changing apertures. Ironically I opted for the 520 to get Live view but I find it useless.

If I could get a viewfinder like the OM10 that would be great!

Tags
25mm, dof, pancake, prime