Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 3,230 Times in 1,498 Posts
Sony RX100

Just wanting a more high powered pocket camera, and have seen this one on eBay and elsewhere. More high powered than my Tough 5. The mk3 and above sounds quite good. Just wonder whether anyone has touched one...

My Flickr
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,237 Times in 927 Posts
Liked 5,920 Times in 1,922 Posts
Re: Sony RX100

I had one for a short while. Good IQ, but handling was atrocious. I think an LX100 would make a better option (if you can get one that focuses properly at longer distances). Either that or a Panasonic GX880/800 + 12/32.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Says Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,587 Times in 1,010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
Just wanting a more high powered pocket camera, and have seen this one on eBay and elsewhere. More high powered than my Tough 5. The mk3 and above sounds quite good. Just wonder whether anyone has touched one...
I was kindly given a Mk 1 a few years ago by someone on this forum because it was repeatedly switching itself on spontaneously. A search on the net showed several forums where users had reported the problem. One Sony forum had a long thread of people complaining about it, sending the camera back and receiving it back with exactly the same fault. A Sony rep. contributed to the thread and insisted that it was a user problem. When someone posted a YouTube video of a camera on a table switching itself on spontaneously the rep. never replied again. Sony response to the complaints was abysmal and many users said that they'd never buy a Sony product again.

I partially dismantled the camera but found no obvious problem, so I made sure the connections were secure and reassembled it. It's been OK since but I'd never rely on it. My partner mainly uses it now.

I'd never buy a Sony product after how they treated users with their faulty cameras!

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Ford For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 709 Times in 476 Posts

I've been running a Mark III for a few years. Within its limitations it can produce quite good images and I'm quite pleased with it, but wouldn't use it for anything mission-critical.

Plus points:

- Small, it fits in a trouser pocket and as people say so often the best camera is the one you have with you.
- Pretty good image quality as long as there is enough light, I have done a few A4 prints which look good
- Good lens which is fast (f/1.8 I think) at the wide end

Less positive points:

- Instructions make Oly manuals look like models of clarity. It took me years to figure out how to move the focus point as it is not documented at all (the manual tells you how to set the focus point to movable but not how to move it!).
- It eats batteries
- The Mark III was the first one to have an EVF, it is OK but no more
- No weather sealing
- Built-in flash is as feeble as you would expect, and there is no socket to plug in an external unit. You can get a Sony unit with wireless comms but it probably costs more than the camera!

The menus are very different from Oly's. That doesn't make it good or bad, it's just something to be aware of.

I have not had problems with it so far (touch wood, stroke rabbit's foot, chew garlic etc. etc.) so I can't comment on Sony's after-sales service.

Overall I don't regret having bought it. I still take it away on boozy weekends with the chums where I wouldn't want to be lugging the Oly around, and come back with some nice souvenir snaps that we can have a laugh with. I really don't know whether a modern phone would do the job just as well.

Hope this helps.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Bikie John For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

And .... it is small. Which makes it nice and portable but might be a problem for people with big hands. Even my stubby little fingers end up pressing the wrong button sometimes.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Bikie John For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,362 Times in 1,257 Posts
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,058 Posts

My daughter has a mk2 version that is better sorted than the Mk1 and has a longer zoom range than the mk3. I think they reduced the range to up the max aperture a bit. Definitely a retrograde step in my book for the travel market. It doesn't have an evf like the mk3 but to be honest I thought that tiny evf was pretty worthless anyway. It's a pretty good small take anywhere camera and has been trouble free, plus it does produce nice images for a compact camera. Not sure about the newer iterations as I stopped following it's evolution after my daughter made her purchase. I will say though that she almost never uses it since getting my old EM1 mk1.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phill D For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 3,230 Times in 1,498 Posts

Thanks all for comments and knowledge...ÖÖ.

I will certainly re-consider my wants vs. needs...ÖÖ..

My Flickr
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 410 Times in 198 Posts

I sometimes wonder about a new compact - my Fuji XF1 died a while back and I haven't replaced it as I can't find anything that's substantially smaller than my E-M10ii that comes close for quality. I still have my E-PL5 but again it's not so much smaller than the 10ii that I pick it up in preference.

I wonder if a Panasonic GF3 or similar with a pancake lens I already own would make a pocketable combination but I've never scratched the itch.

Camera Jungle have 15% off everything until Monday.
They have a GF3 at £66 - 15% = £56.10 + £4.99 for P+P at £61.09
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
My daughter has a mk2 version that is better sorted than the Mk1 and has a longer zoom range than the mk3. I think they reduced the range to up the max aperture a bit. Definitely a retrograde step in my book for the travel market.
Horses for courses - I strongly preferred the faster lens on the Mk 3 and was happy with the pay-off of a smaller zoom range. It's good that we have the choice.

I haven't even tried to keep track of developments, I think it is up to about the Mk 6 now!

John
The Following User Liked This Post:
Phill D (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,232 Times in 702 Posts

Pretty much everything has been covered here I think, although I had an original mk1 for a year or so when they first came out and Iíd add just two things that havenít been mentioned:

It wonít focus very close - I canít remember the ratio, but it was limiting enough when photographing details in a scene to be irritating. The later bodies have a different lens which might be better.

I found the dynamic range more limiting than the low-light performance, and the two are obviously linked, but itís down to the sort of images you take. I like doing a lot of high-contrast and contre jour street shooting, and so often I got burned highlights or blocked shadows. I found I had problems with everything I tried with a smaller sensor than 4/3, and even early 16mp 4/3 sensors are a major step up.

I did love the convenience and portability (Iíve got fairly small hands and didnít find it too fiddly), itís quick to shoot with, and the f1.8 lens is very good. The top phones must be getting close to its performance for quite a few uses, though.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
The Following User Says Thank You to drmarkf For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (4 Weeks Ago)