Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 25th July 2012

Thanked 1,293 Times in 1,008 Posts
Liked 1,918 Times in 1,068 Posts
Re: Female King Parrot portrait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Murrell View Post
I think you're right. It's always hard to tell with birds but I think young Kings have yellow beaks. Adult females have brown/grey. So you'd be on the money on this being a female. Great pics and great birds.
I gotta pull my finger out and post some pics...how do you resize images for posting? I'm not very good with comps and post image processing.
Thanks Pete for the compliments & also the hint with the beaks. We also have Bower Birds hanging around & it is difficult telling the juveniles from the females, with the black male occasionally appearing.

I just use Olympus Viewer 2 for editing (jpg or raw) & resizing. It is best to sharpen the resized photo for web viewing too & usually I resize them to 900 X 675, but 800 X 600 is fine too & then I save as Standard quality to keep the file size down & it usually looks OK & fits the uploading criteria.

Here is a print screen of it.
resizing4web.jpg

I hope the print screen shows enough to help (after you click on the thumbnail & viewed in full screen).
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 25th July 2012

Thanked 1,497 Times in 1,448 Posts
Liked 4,126 Times in 1,870 Posts

WOW Ross, the reds are extraordinary, glad I came back for another look and finally learnt what NF is, thanks!

The E-M5 is a doozie alright.

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
Old 25th July 2012

Thanked 1,497 Times in 1,448 Posts
Liked 4,126 Times in 1,870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
I just use Olympus Viewer 2 for editing (jpg or raw) & resizing.
Ross, I use Olympus View2 also in the same way you do although rarely for RAW. It has a brilliant exif reader for internal files.

With regard to our recent exchange on exif readers, I uninstalled GC as it is too intrusive doing all manner of unauthorised actions. I am waiting to see my tech on the weekend to sort out this "ActiveX" thingy so that I can give that other App starting with "K", whose name I've already forgotten - such as it is without a functional memory.

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
Old 12th August 2012
nileshmazumdar

Really like the look of the "eyes" !!