Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 10th October 2011

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
Snowdonia

Taken the other week on our visit to Snowdonia in the hot weather taken late afternoon with the E30 and 14-42mm lens 4 shots stitched together taken in portrait mode.

any comments welcome, good bad or ugly.

Dave

Old 10th October 2011

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts
Re: Snowdonia

Fab shot of a fantastic location . . . but
  • there seems to be a bit too much saturation possibly of red especially for some reason in the centre of the image near the crags - however, I'm assuming that with it being late afternoon at this time of the year with the autumn colours well underway that the colours will be pretty vibrant anyhow.
  • there is something strange about the image that I can't quite work out - t's almost as though it's been made as a 3D image as there seems to be either a slight blurring, over sharpening that has accentuated edges or a miss-registration of the image during the stitching process - some of this may also just be artefacts caused by the image being compressed for showing on the Forum
  • the bottom of the image is cloned I guess based on the repeating patterns of foliage etc. I presume that this may be because the stitching and alignment of the 4 images left a curve at the bottom of the finished image? Have you tried Microsoft's ICE (Image Composite Editor) as this will allow you to make alterations to some of the curves or try different alignments?

How have you stitched this / what software have you used?
Are the original images available as RAW files? If so, I reckon you should be able to get a bit more from the images and together with good stitching software, make this into a really cracking good panorama - which I will look forward to seeing again.

Regards
Chris
Old 11th October 2011

Thanked 1,361 Times in 1,256 Posts
Liked 2,207 Times in 1,055 Posts

Beautiful shot Dave. I like the saturation level, yes it's a bit over the top but it fits the scene well adding to the drama. I hadn't noticed the other points Chris made initially but I agree with him it does look a bit strange.
Old 11th October 2011

Liked 62 Times in 33 Posts

Has the grass at the front been photoshopped as it all looks the same

OM-D E-M5 mk2, m12-40mm f2.8, m25mm f1.8, m45mm f1.8, m60mm f2.8 Macro, M14‑150mm 1:4-5.6 II, M75-300mm MK2, Samyang 7.5mm f/3.5 fisheye
Old 11th October 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Dave PHEW ! Blew me away this morning

Nick & I were up in Snowdonia in August - loved the valleys and landscapes and said "I BET it will look awesome when the leaves change colour" so

YOU MADE OUR DAY with this shot !

I was so blown away by the phenominal beauty you have captured - I did not look, nor see any faults ! But all can be fixed by cropping out the bottom grass/rocks which add little, if anything, in our humble opine to the water and mountains beyond
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 11th October 2011

Just scrolled back up and down for another look

ps Nick said "is it taken by anyone we know ? ... then we could break their camera ...

STUNNING Just stunning

the ONE photo album
Old 11th October 2011

Hi Thanks for your comments guys it was stitched together with CS5 and contents aware filled in the bottom missing bits, the colours were very much like this. I only increased vibrance a little to add to the drama and lightened the shadows a little, I will see if I can reduce the repetitiveness in the grass the light was still pretty strong but varied because of the clouds that varied the light intensity it looked very surreal. I suppose that gave it an almost 3D effect.

Thanks for your constructive comments, much apreciated.

Dave
Old 11th October 2011

Adjusted cropped the bottom and desaturated a little, and blended out some repeats of the grass area that was left in.

Hope this looks better.

Dave

Old 11th October 2011

Dave the big one at the TOP draws my eyes - I scrolled down but prefer the size of the first

I would give this shot wallspace - its that stunning !

the ONE photo album
Old 11th October 2011

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveart View Post
Hi Thanks for your comments guys it was stitched together with CS5 and contents aware filled in the bottom missing bits, the colours were very much like this. I only increased vibrance a little to add to the drama and lightened the shadows a little, I will see if I can reduce the repetitiveness in the grass the light was still pretty strong but varied because of the clouds that varied the light intensity it looked very surreal. I suppose that gave it an almost 3D effect.

Thanks for your constructive comments, much apreciated.

Dave
Hi Dave:
I've never used Contents Aware so hadn't realised that this was the software's attempt at filling in the blank areas - definitely have a go at cloning with either rocks and grass from a different but similarly lit image or if that really is difficult crop off the bottom as much as possible while still allowing the near shore line to show.
I'm surprised that Contents Aware (CA) has created such repeating patterns that make the foreground too obvious as a cloned area, and I reckon you will do a better job than the software! It may be just that it hasn't had a lot of foreshore area after the stitching to use as its basis and therefore has had to make a lot of repeats in order to fill in the blank area, but I will leave others who use CA to explain as I am not sure.

And the foreground is really quite useful to have as part of the overall image as it so closely mimics the shape of the mountain's reflection - it's difficult to tell from your second image how well or otherwise the re-cloning is. The more I look at the image, the more important I think keeping the amount of foreground space that you have in your original or slightly cropped in the second is, and I would stick with the cloning improvement rather than any further cropping.

Within the CA cloning of the original, you'll also find post-CA cloning out some of the obvious repetitions, such as the small leaves at bottom right and some of the brown dead grass foliage on the bottom left, will also reduce a lot of the more obvious 'computer made' patterns.

I know to some that the emphasis on getting the cloning right may seem pedantic, but when you have a fab image that may be printed off, some of the details in the printed landscape get picked up far more than on the computer screen or even real life.
I had a project recently where I needed a panorama of a moorland valley that was criss-crossed by telegraph poles and cables that the client hadn't even really been aware of. So should these be kept in the final image or not? By making a large print it was immediately obvious what caught the eye as an 'eyesore' and what was acceptable. We kept the majority as part of the 'real' landscape but cloned out the really obvious and dominant features that would have distracted the eye when viewing the print.

All in all though, a lovely image of some fabulous autumnal Welsh scenery - and it deserves to be up on a wall, as Chevvyf1 says!

Regards
Chris
Old 11th October 2011

Hi Chris Yes contents aware does do a good job normally and sometimes it can get it completely wrong, I have adjusted it now so that the repeats are not obvious and more random, sometimes you need fresh eyes to see these things as you the creator of the image sees what you think and not what is their.

Thanks to all comments made and taken on board, though I do myself prefer the colour saturation of the first and the crop of the second and adjusted as I said of the replication of the cloning in the grass area.

Dave
Old 16th October 2011

Hi I have made some adjustment on mainly crop off abit on the bottom also took out some repeatative bits at the bottom and made a 18 x 11 size print and mounted it and it looks fab, I have also placeed it on a website for sale.

According to some of my friends it should sell well their words.

Fingers crossed.

Dave
Old 16th October 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Dave - I saw your first picture last week and I would say the following.

1. I don't doubt it will sell well. To the non photographer it is indeed a fabulous picture. I asked my good lady her opinion,and she said - 'it would lovely in our dining room',so that says it all!

2. Putting my photography hat on,I have to admit that my comments are aligned with those previously given by others.

However a n extremely good shot,which if I am honest would like to have taken myself.

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.

Tags
landscape wales, mountains, snowdonia