Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-5

Olympus E-5 E-5 specific discussion.

Old 30th January 2011
Kiwi Paul

E5 and unsharp photos

I'm experiencing an issue it seems with my E5 where sometimes the photos aren't sharp, it's like they are very slightly misfocussed but when I look through the photo from the foreground to infinity nothing is sharp when this occurs, it's all unsharp by the same degree right through the photo, so possible camera shake except some of the affected photos have been shot wide angle at 1/250 sec so no chance of camera shake. It's mostly when shooting vertically it seems but not exclusively, I'm beginning to suspect the IS is not only not "ISing" when this occurs but actually causing the issue by blurring the photo rather than preventing it.
Has anyone else experienced this?
My next thing is to just turn IS off and see if the problem ceases. I never had this with the E3.

Paul
Old 30th January 2011
jonsey

Re: E5 and unsharp photos

Paul,
im getting this with my E30, i still dont get those pin sharp pics that i should, i saw some shots that stevenp3 posted yesterday and they run rings round mine, same set up...E30 + 50-200... iv tried everything..its even been to oly for repair and `calibrated`.

jeff
Old 30th January 2011

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

I certainly have had problems with focus on my E5 + 300mm. It is when trying to photograph small birds. Ocasionally it just won't focus on the bird even though the focus confirm lights and beeps. I could understand when it is a small bird in a thick hedge but when it is in the open it doesn't make sense. I can even see the lack of focus through the viewfinder. Centre weighted, spot or small spot all have shown this problem. I have never had any of these problems with my E30 AND 300mm or with the E5 and any other lens. Most of the time it works OK but it is with the bird I may only get one shot at that annoys. Most times it happens is with hand held or monopod, so IS1 is used, but maybe this is the problem.

David
Old 30th January 2011

Liked 709 Times in 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
I certainly have had problems with focus on my E5 + 300mm. It is when trying to photograph small birds. Ocasionally it just won't focus on the bird even though the focus confirm lights and beeps. I could understand when it is a small bird in a thick hedge but when it is in the open it doesn't make sense. I can even see the lack of focus through the viewfinder. Centre weighted, spot or small spot all have shown this problem. I have never had any of these problems with my E30 AND 300mm or with the E5 and any other lens. Most of the time it works OK but it is with the bird I may only get one shot at that annoys. Most times it happens is with hand held or monopod, so IS1 is used, but maybe this is the problem.

David
Pleased I looked in before going out.

I am suffering in a similar way and will alter the IS to IS3 setting today to see if it improves.
The four shots I posted here in my thread Bbgrr were from a batch of over 150 taken - of those perhaps 40+ were as described.
An email suggesting a tweak to Olympus might solve the problem.

Regards. Barr1e
Old 30th January 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes Paul, I have the same experience on my E-5.

It occurred with me in combination with my 12-60 lens, the E-5 would not focus properly and I got some unsharp pictures. Switching the camera off and on did not help but somehow it magically disappeared again.

I have no idea what triggers it. It could be the IS but it could also be the ambient temperature, I am not sure.

I do hope that there will be a firmware update soon that corrects this problem. It annoys me heavily.
Old 30th January 2011
Kiwi Paul

I have no focus issues with the E5, it focuses fine with all my lenses even the 90-250 photographing birds. When using long lenses a high shutter speed is imperative when photographing birds to avoid subject movement in which case motion blur is no longer an issue either as the shutter speed is high enough, so it's not required to turn IS on.

Paul
Old 30th January 2011

Liked 870 Times in 308 Posts

You may have something here Paul. I've just looked back through quite a few images taken on different days and in different conditions and occasionally I do come across a shot at a shutter speed and focal length that you would have expected to be sharp.
Now this could well have been operator error but I'm doubtful... the other point is that of these 'blurred' (at the 100% level) images mostly are orientated as a portrait.

I think I will try a little experimentation tomorrow (if I get time).

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 30th January 2011
Kiwi Paul

Yeah I'm wondering if the IS isn't detecting the camera has been tilted to portrait orientation and is applying IS corrections as if it was still in landscape orientation.

Paul
Old 30th January 2011

This is all very well but how does it explain the fact that I get AF confirm light and beep when the subject is obviously OOF even through the viewfinder? It has happened with and without monopod and never happens with my E30.

David
Old 31st January 2011
Kiwi Paul

You have a focus issue I have an issue with IS.

Paul
Old 1st February 2011

Having had problems with trying to achieve focus on occasions with my E5 and 300mm f2.8 (as I have mentioned before) when photgraphing mainly smaller birds, today (very sunny and bright) I used MF only with IS1 and all is fine. This seems to be a problem with the E5 firmware as it has never happened with my E30 and the same lens. It is almost as if the spot (small) AF area is very big and gets confused with everything else around. After this I am going back to the E30 with the 300mm and use the E5 with shorter zooms which give no problems. I hope that something is sorted out soon as there are so many posts on this forum and Four thirds User for it to be just isolated operator error problems. When I have time I will do a direct comparison with both cameras under identical conditions and send the results to Olympus.

David
Old 2nd February 2011
Kiwi Paul

My experiences with using the small focus spot were the opposite of yours. All the pics taken in my high ISO bird post were taken using the small AF area and I achieved pretty much 100% focus accuracy (using the 90-250). Using the larger AF area the previous day I had a few missed focused shots. With the 90-250 the E5 does focus better than the E3 (well more reliably) but with other lenses I can't say I've noticed any difference.

Paul
Old 31st January 2011

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofmix View Post
Yeah I'm wondering if the IS isn't detecting the camera has been tilted to portrait orientation and is applying IS corrections as if it was still in landscape orientation.

Paul
In IS1 this shouldn't matter Paul, only if you are panning and stabilizing in one plane only.
Old 30th January 2011
Senior

Liked 150 Times in 56 Posts

I went out with my new E-5 for the first time yesterday, and was occasionally getting the same problem as David Morison - focus confirm light and bleep, but way off focus and will stick in that position until I focus on another object, then back to the original.

My Zenfolio Site
My Portfolio Site

Olympus: E-M1 Mk11 | PEN-F + ECG-4 | XZ-1 | EE-1 Dot Sight Lumix: G9 | LX100 Nissin: i40
Zuiko: 40-150 Pro + MC-14 | 12-100 Pro | 7-14 Pro | 17 | 45 | 60 | OM 135 Leica: 100-400 | 12-60 Samyang: 7.5 fisheye Tamron: 14-150
The Following User Says Thank You to Shaw For This Useful Post:
yorky (30th January 2011)
Old 30th January 2011

Ambient temperature could be a common factor for me. Most of my shots with the E30 have been at reasonable temperature but nearly all my E5 shots have been at freezing or below. I am going out this morning, around freezing, and will try out the E30 to see if the same thing happens. I'll let you know.

David