Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 849 Times in 473 Posts
Re: Just my 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post

Anyhow, the upshot of all this was that I received a load of abuse by PM from a supposed 'member' who suggested that I was 'ripping people off by asking such a ridiculous price', and that 'an E5 body wasn't worth more than 125' (which was all he/she was offering).

Maybe he or she was a trader, but why the abuse? Surely if the E5 was so readily available elsewhere at the price indicated then he/she could easily have bought one, or twenty at that price if they wanted to.
Many years ago, when digital was just becoming popular, I advertised a rather nice film lens. (I think it was in the Amateur Photographer adds).

I received a letter which although not abusive, the tone was. I was instructed that I must sell my lens for 20 as it was not digital, or words to that effect.

A bit of nostalgia: I can remember when, universally, any secondhand item had a maximum value of the price of a new one.

Harold
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 1,980 Times in 727 Posts

I'm sure we've all seen ads, here and on other forums, where the price causes a certain raising of an eyebrow. I always resist any temptation to pass comment - either publicly or privately. If the seller can find a willing buyer then good luck to him/her. If not, then either the price will get reduced or the item won't sell. That's just market forces.

Likewise, I'm never offended by a low offer (I can always say no) and if I do decide to make an offer on another person's listing, I'm never offended if I get a negative response. That's the nature of dealing!
The Following Users Liked This Post:
George Dorn (1 Week Ago), iso (1 Week Ago), Simon Bee (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 507 Times in 190 Posts

I think do not factor in the use they have had of the item till they sell it. That is worth something.
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 755 Times in 524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
A bit of nostalgia: I can remember when, universally, any secondhand item had a maximum value of the price of a new one.

Harold
There is an old saying that "a fool and his money are easily parted".

People seem to get carried away on eBay, often paying silly prices because the seller advertises something as a 'rare item', or because they simply haven't bothered to check the price of a new one.

I wonder how many 'chancers' advertise things on eBay at silly prices knowing that soon enough a fool will come along and buy them?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing