Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 8th January 2017
Telhinhas Telhinhas is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: London
Posts: 20
Thanks: 10
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 6
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Exclamation Just my 2 cents

Good afternoon to all,

I have joined this community recently and have since come to find this forum more and more useful. However, having looked at this section of the forum, I have a quick remark to make, if I may.

I am looking for a specific used lens (could not find one here), but I did end up opening many threads out of interest.

I realise that when people are looking to sell, they wish to lose the least possible money and recover as much as they can from their initial investment. However, I cannot help but say that when one is looking to sell their used gear, they should at least look online in places like Amazon, eBay or even some used camera shops before posting their gear for sale with unrealistic asking prices.

All due respect, I don´t care if you paid £1000 for a lens 6 months ago and now want £900 for it, if the same item is now selling NEW for £500. This is just an example.

Just my 2 cents. Sometimes I get the impression that people do not research before posting their gear for sale. I know it sucks losing money when selling stuff you are no longer interested in, but that is just the nature of selling your used gear. People will not buy your used stuff for more money than what they can pay for a new item from a trusted source and with warranty.

Have a lovely Sunday everyone.

PS: If the fact that this is not a sell / looking for thread is not allowed, I apologise in advance and ask any moderators out there to delete it.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 8th January 2017
Graham_of_Rainham's Avatar
Graham_of_Rainham Graham_of_Rainham is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rainham
Posts: 6,634
Thanks: 525
Thanked 794 Times in 600 Posts
Likes: 1,705
Liked 1,028 Times in 617 Posts
Re: Just my 2 cents

You raise a valid point. We all like to get the best from a deal and I will always seek to achieve a "Win - Win".

As with ebay, anything overpriced seldom sells, but fortunately the majority of the members, especially the long standing ones, are much more realistic. Plus most of us look after our kit really well, so you mostly know that the kit is in the condition that is stated.

I have, and will delete threads that are offering items that are overpriced and attract negative reaction, fortunately these are very few.

Hopefully someone has what you want and a deal can be made.

__________________
Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Graham_of_Rainham For This Useful Post:
Telhinhas (8th January 2017)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Telhinhas (8th January 2017)
  #3  
Old 8th January 2017
Levster Levster is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Portsmouth, England
Posts: 56
Thanks: 5
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Re: Just my 2 cents

As a serial lens buyer, tryer and then seller I have a lot of experience of what price is good and what price is bad. I tend to buy my used lenses from WEX or MPB, as they are very competitive compared to eBay pricing. When selling on ebay I will take into consideration the new price, grey market price and used pricing. If I'm selling the only one then I'll price close to the cheapest new copy, whereas if there are lots of an item then I'll need to price below the cheapest used copy (condition dependent) to get a quick sale. I do find it somewhat rude when I receive a message on ebay for instance saying "do you know that I can buy this lens for £250 on LCE new and you're selling it for £225". At the end of the day the prospective buyer has no right to a bargain. If you don't like the price just wait for the next copy to appear. Market forces will always win. Eventually a highly priced used lens will come down in price, or the seller will give up and keep it. A better way is to just open with a negotiation, not highlight that the seller is at fault for expecting too much.
Reply With Quote
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (8th January 2017), Simon Bee (8th January 2017)
  #4  
Old 8th January 2017
Telhinhas Telhinhas is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: London
Posts: 20
Thanks: 10
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 6
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Just my 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levster View Post
As a serial lens buyer, tryer and then seller I have a lot of experience of what price is good and what price is bad. I tend to buy my used lenses from WEX or MPB, as they are very competitive compared to eBay pricing. When selling on ebay I will take into consideration the new price, grey market price and used pricing. If I'm selling the only one then I'll price close to the cheapest new copy, whereas if there are lots of an item then I'll need to price below the cheapest used copy (condition dependent) to get a quick sale. I do find it somewhat rude when I receive a message on ebay for instance saying "do you know that I can buy this lens for £250 on LCE new and you're selling it for £225". At the end of the day the prospective buyer has no right to a bargain. If you don't like the price just wait for the next copy to appear. Market forces will always win. Eventually a highly priced used lens will come down in price, or the seller will give up and keep it. A better way is to just open with a negotiation, not highlight that the seller is at fault for expecting too much.
I agree that messages disputing the asking price are not always nice to read if you are the seller. If the interested party is interested, then he´ll buy. If he wants to engage a negotiation or make a reasonable offer, then he should message privately. That is what I do, and I also consider myself an experiences online buyer.

What I did here though, was try to raise awareness to a different thing. There are ads on here for used items that are being sold for less money new elsewhere. And that I think may be because people remember what they paid for their new gear, but fail to research what it is going for nowadays.

All the best.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 8th January 2017
Jim Ford Jim Ford is online now
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Watford, Herts..
Posts: 4,577
Thanks: 188
Thanked 373 Times in 315 Posts
Likes: 1,070
Liked 583 Times in 391 Posts
Re: Just my 2 cents

Reminds me of a friend that wanted to buy a particular power tool:

A company was offering the tool at a bargain price,but when my friend went to buy it they told him the were out of stock.

He went to another place where the tool was dearer and said that they were cheaper at the first place. They said to him "Why didn't you buy one there, then?". He said "Because they are out of stock" to which they replied "Ours are that price when we are out of stock!".

Jim
Reply With Quote
The Following Users Liked This Post:
iso (8th January 2017), Naughty Nigel (8th January 2017), Ross the fiddler (9th January 2017), Shaw (8th January 2017), Simon Bee (8th January 2017), Telhinhas (8th January 2017)
  #6  
Old 8th January 2017
Naughty Nigel's Avatar
Naughty Nigel Naughty Nigel is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Land of the Prince Bishops
Posts: 5,396
Thanks: 257
Thanked 319 Times in 271 Posts
Likes: 1,559
Liked 1,098 Times in 753 Posts
Re: Just my 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telhinhas View Post
I agree that messages disputing the asking price are not always nice to read if you are the seller. If the interested party is interested, then he´ll buy. If he wants to engage a negotiation or make a reasonable offer, then he should message privately. That is what I do, and I also consider myself an experiences online buyer.

What I did here though, was try to raise awareness to a different thing. There are ads on here for used items that are being sold for less money new elsewhere. And that I think may be because people remember what they paid for their new gear, but fail to research what it is going for nowadays.

All the best.
If you think somebody is asking way too much then surely you just walk away and look elsewhere? I know I do.

I tried to sell my E5, with grip on here a couple of years ago. I appreciate the value of Four Thirds equipment has dropped like a stone in recent times, but I did my research, and offered it for sale at what seemed like a realistic price; (about £625 if I recall).

I was encouraged by the fact that there had been quite a lot of interest in the E5 model a few weeks previously, and a camera body had changed hands here for £800 +.

Anyhow, the upshot of all this was that I received a load of abuse by PM from a supposed 'member' who suggested that I was 'ripping people off by asking such a ridiculous price', and that 'an E5 body wasn't worth more than £125' (which was all he/she was offering).

Maybe he or she was a trader, but why the abuse? Surely if the E5 was so readily available elsewhere at the price indicated then he/she could easily have bought one, or twenty at that price if they wanted to.

Frankly I would rather use it as a doorstop than sell it for £125, so it is still in its box, complete with the grip., but is used occasionally with the 50 ~ 200 zoom
__________________
---------------

Naughty Nigel


Difficult is worth doing
Reply With Quote
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (8th January 2017), Simon Bee (8th January 2017)
  #7  
Old 8th January 2017
DerekW DerekW is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 2,444
Thanks: 50
Thanked 276 Times in 214 Posts
Likes: 11
Liked 278 Times in 206 Posts
Re: Just my 2 cents

I have just sold two cameras via this forum, both buyers challenged the price (offline) and we came to an accord.

If you see something you would like but do not agree with the price send a pm with a counter offer, you might persuade the seller that they are over valuing the object and you may come to an agreement.
__________________
This space for rent
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DerekW For This Useful Post:
Simon Bee (8th January 2017)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Simon Bee (8th January 2017)
  #8  
Old 8th January 2017
Beagletorque's Avatar
Beagletorque Beagletorque is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: England
Posts: 4,864
Thanks: 914
Thanked 671 Times in 613 Posts
Likes: 1,096
Liked 2,696 Times in 1,016 Posts
Re: Just my 2 cents

I seems many a decent forum has been spoiled by pricing spats in the for sale section.
It reminds me of the "Someone is wrong on the internet" cartoon posted up here just recently!

__________________
Missed a Cuba Post? Catch up here!
Reply With Quote
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (9th January 2017), Simon Bee (8th January 2017)
  #9  
Old 8th January 2017
Simon Bee's Avatar
Simon Bee Simon Bee is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bridgend, South Wales
Posts: 1,668
Thanks: 116
Thanked 195 Times in 164 Posts
Likes: 354
Liked 241 Times in 154 Posts
Re: Just my 2 cents

Well here's 'my 2 cents' , no actually 'pennies' as I'm British

I am well versed in the S/H value of many photographic items, often scouring dealer sites and letting members of this forum know if I have seen a bargain. Yes sometimes items are advertised on the forum at prices that may appear to be a little high but at the end of the day it's the sellers choice. There are often occasions when I have thought the price was too low as was the case with an em1 I bought recently, see thread ( post 5 ).......

......... http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43637

Why would I up my payment to match the dealers price when I would have had a warranty with the dealer? ...... Because I felt John was effectively underpricing the camera ( perhaps for it to sell quickly ) and I wanted him to receive a fair price. At the end of the day what matters is a fair price for both the seller and the buyer, if the item is way OTT then it will likely not attract any interest at all and the seller will need to rethink their pricing, I for one would not publicly point out that they are asking too much, better to leave alone and if after a week or so they seem to be struggling to raise any interest maybe then send them a 'PM' with links to dealer prices so that they can adjust pricing accordingly.

Simon
__________________
One should take the "PLANK" out of one's own eye before trying to take a "splinter" out of someone else's
Reply With Quote
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (8th January 2017), Ross the fiddler (9th January 2017)
  #10  
Old 8th January 2017
DekHog's Avatar
DekHog DekHog is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dundee
Posts: 1,217
Thanks: 45
Thanked 110 Times in 75 Posts
Likes: 4
Liked 36 Times in 20 Posts
Re: Just my 2 cents

As much as I don't like TP at times, they have their house in order when it comes to the classifieds.

Seller must state a price and ALL dealing to be done in the thread (no sneaky PMs allowed, and they do know when its going on). The price paid is then in the thread as a reference for others.

Unfortunately, even though I use them, the classifieds in here are just a total free for all with no real rules.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 8th January 2017
Telhinhas Telhinhas is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: London
Posts: 20
Thanks: 10
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 6
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Just my 2 cents

I get the impression that some people have misinterpreted what I wrote.

Just to clarify: I am not having a "rant" at people for their pricing, but see no harm in telling (in general, without mentioning specific cases) that there are second hand items for sale here for more than you can find new elsewhere.

When I am not interested in something or don´t agree with the price, I just look elsewhere.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 9th January 2017
Zuiko's Avatar
Zuiko Zuiko is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dunmow, Essex
Posts: 19,766
Thanks: 1,852
Thanked 2,806 Times in 2,161 Posts
Likes: 2,533
Liked 3,364 Times in 1,581 Posts
Re: Just my 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
If you think somebody is asking way too much then surely you just walk away and look elsewhere? I know I do.

I tried to sell my E5, with grip on here a couple of years ago. I appreciate the value of Four Thirds equipment has dropped like a stone in recent times, but I did my research, and offered it for sale at what seemed like a realistic price; (about £625 if I recall).

I was encouraged by the fact that there had been quite a lot of interest in the E5 model a few weeks previously, and a camera body had changed hands here for £800 +.

Anyhow, the upshot of all this was that I received a load of abuse by PM from a supposed 'member' who suggested that I was 'ripping people off by asking such a ridiculous price', and that 'an E5 body wasn't worth more than £125' (which was all he/she was offering).

Maybe he or she was a trader, but why the abuse? Surely if the E5 was so readily available elsewhere at the price indicated then he/she could easily have bought one, or twenty at that price if they wanted to.

Frankly I would rather use it as a doorstop than sell it for £125, so it is still in its box, complete with the grip., but is used occasionally with the 50 ~ 200 zoom
Sorry to hear you had that bad experience, Nigel. You can report an abusive PM.
__________________
John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Naughty Nigel (9th January 2017)
  #13  
Old 9th January 2017
Simon Bee's Avatar
Simon Bee Simon Bee is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bridgend, South Wales
Posts: 1,668
Thanks: 116
Thanked 195 Times in 164 Posts
Likes: 354
Liked 241 Times in 154 Posts
Re: Just my 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telhinhas View Post
I get the impression that some people have misinterpreted what I wrote.

Just to clarify: I am not having a "rant" at people for their pricing, but see no harm in telling (in general, without mentioning specific cases) that there are second hand items for sale here for more than you can find new elsewhere.

When I am not interested in something or don´t agree with the price, I just look elsewhere.
Good morning Telhinas,

Personally speaking I have not misinterpreted what you were saying, nor do I think you were having a 'rant' I agree that in recents weeks some items have appeared at prices that seem a bit on the high side, but historically most sales on this site have been very good deals for the buyer.

Not every member follows the S/H market closely and therefore will be unaware of the latest market value plus we should remember that many retailers have some rather enticing sales running ( which I have taken advantage of ) at the moment which are about to end if they have not already done so. Also the devaluation of the pound will start to 'kick-in' from this month forward as new stock arrives from Japan/China etc. I am a retailer myself ( hardware ) and during the last week of the year I received multiple new price lists with an average increase of 10% across the board and advising that more increase will likely follow in due course.

The upshot ( for the seller ) of this is that the 'apparent' expensive S/H listing will no longer seem so OTT.

I see you are a new member and as of yet I do not believe I have 'welcomed' you to the forum, so "a warm welcome from me" We are a friendly bunch of like-minded folk who actually endeavour to encourage and help one another unlike some other forums I could mention, and I believe this makes us rather unique.

I cannot speak for others, but personally there is nothing 'wrong' with what you were saying, however 'I' would not have jumped into the pond 'feet first' as it is bound to create ripples
As you say ....if you don't agree with the price just look elsewhere.

Anyway, a genuine warm welcome to you from me, I am sure you will enjoy hanging-out here

Kind regards, Simon
__________________
One should take the "PLANK" out of one's own eye before trying to take a "splinter" out of someone else's
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon Bee For This Useful Post:
Telhinhas (9th January 2017), Zuiko (9th January 2017)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (9th January 2017), Phill D (9th January 2017), Telhinhas (9th January 2017), Zuiko (9th January 2017)
  #14  
Old 9th January 2017
Telhinhas Telhinhas is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: London
Posts: 20
Thanks: 10
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 6
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Smile Re: Just my 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bee View Post
Good morning Telhinas,

Personally speaking I have not misinterpreted what you were saying, nor do I think you were having a 'rant' I agree that in recents weeks some items have appeared at prices that seem a bit on the high side, but historically most sales on this site have been very good deals for the buyer.

Not every member follows the S/H market closely and therefore will be unaware of the latest market value plus we should remember that many retailers have some rather enticing sales running ( which I have taken advantage of ) at the moment which are about to end if they have not already done so. Also the devaluation of the pound will start to 'kick-in' from this month forward as new stock arrives from Japan/China etc. I am a retailer myself ( hardware ) and during the last week of the year I received multiple new price lists with an average increase of 10% across the board and advising that more increase will likely follow in due course.

The upshot ( for the seller ) of this is that the 'apparent' expensive S/H listing will no longer seem so OTT.

I see you are a new member and as of yet I do not believe I have 'welcomed' you to the forum, so "a warm welcome from me" We are a friendly bunch of like-minded folk who actually endeavour to encourage and help one another unlike some other forums I could mention, and I believe this makes us rather unique.

I cannot speak for others, but personally there is nothing 'wrong' with what you were saying, however 'I' would not have jumped into the pond 'feet first' as it is bound to create ripples
As you say ....if you don't agree with the price just look elsewhere.

Anyway, a genuine warm welcome to you from me, I am sure you will enjoy hanging-out here

Kind regards, Simon
Thanks Simon for the nice message.
It was never my intention to "jump into the pond 'feet first'"
but I see your point. Glad you could see mine too.

Best,
T
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Simon Bee (9th January 2017)
  #15  
Old 9th January 2017
Simon Bee's Avatar
Simon Bee Simon Bee is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bridgend, South Wales
Posts: 1,668
Thanks: 116
Thanked 195 Times in 164 Posts
Likes: 354
Liked 241 Times in 154 Posts
Re: Just my 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telhinhas View Post
It was never my intention to "jump into the pond 'feet first'"

I'm sure it wasn't.

Kind regards, Simon
__________________
One should take the "PLANK" out of one's own eye before trying to take a "splinter" out of someone else's
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:21 PM.


© The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2017, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger