Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 1st January 2017
Administrator

Thanked 2,671 Times in 2,067 Posts
Liked 2,907 Times in 1,362 Posts
Re: E-M1 Mark II is a breath of fresh air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
Yep - a growing number of M43 users in our club, Colchester, along with an increase in mirror-less generally.

I do well in the internal advanced section competitions and external comps. I got my CPAGB on M43. I intend to go for LRPS and possibly DPAGB this year and do not see M43 as anything other than an advantage as my camera is with me pretty much all the time so I'm more likely to get that "image". I also had some images in last years EAF exhibition all M43 and had comments on one particular print on the "incredible detail". So this perception that you have to have a larger sensor to achieve an acceptable quality is ancient history now unless you are doing work which requires really large prints and/or the superior SNR and dynamic range that the physics of sensor size govern.

It's about the right tools for the job and for me my Olympus camera's I own or have owned and used fit my aims extremely well. The reality is of course that the camera as a tool is more capable than I am and if I can just get that six inches behind the viewfinder to be as good as the few inches in front of it then I'll be on a roll.

Hec
Good luck with the LRPS, Hec, I'm sure you won't have any problems. Most of the pictures for mine were shot on a 10mp E-3 and at low ISO I could easily produce 16x12 inch prints of detailed landscapes. The sensor in my E-M5 is obviously much better (though now dated itself) but the only real advantage in IQ over the E-3 is it allows me to shoot at higher ISO.

My daughter will be starting a documentary photography degree course at university in September (she has an unconditional offer based on the quality of her portfolio) armed with her E-620. I asked her if she thought she needed an upgrade but she said she would prefer to stick with a camera she knows. For her it is all about the pictures and she has absolutely no interest in equipment. I gave her my 14-54mm lens but she prefers to use her 14-42mm because it is smaller and lighter.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following Users Liked This Post:
David M (1st January 2017), drmarkf (1st January 2017), Imageryone (2nd January 2017), Simon Bee (1st January 2017)
Old 1st January 2017

Liked 789 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bee View Post
Classic! very apt
I have to admit I 'borrowed' that from Deep Purple, one of the band members used it as a nickname for the band.
Old 1st January 2017
Grumpy Member

Liked 375 Times in 175 Posts

[QUOTE=drmarkf;402740]Yes, I agree with all of that, Hec.

I just got my CPAGB all on m4/3 as well, via DPI (which I discovered is a bit stressful because of the variability inherent in projection facilities! Nothing to do with m4/3).
It must also be said, from a comparison of image scores of several of us at the adjudication event in late November, that studio and wildlife images scored highly while street and architecture were marked ridiculously low!

So I'd say projection and judging vagaries were vastly more significant than the sensor size: worth also mentioning that my only two wildlife images, of antelope shot on game drives with the E-M1, 40-150 Pro + 1.4tc, both scored 24....

QUOTE]

The judging does tend to favour certain genre's even though the PAGB always state otherwise. Wildlife does tend to do well as does composite images of the fantasy style. To be fair some wildlife work is technically stunning although I personally tend to be unmoved as it is seldom original in terms of subject and/or composition. If I see another kingfisher with fish I may well scream out loud even though it may be a superbly taken image.

The reality is that all club photography, of which all PAGB distinctions form part, tends towards a certain style and content. It rarely rewards those who wish to experiment beyond that so if you go for your C, D or M you just have to play the game. Of late I'm moving towards trying something a little different and my marks have gone down in internal competitions but I've decided I'm going to stick with it and take the hit as they are the images I prefer to take these days.

Hec

Hec
drmarkf (1st January 2017), Imageryone (2nd January 2017)