Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen-F

Olympus Pen-F The first Pen to integrate an electronic viewfinder

Old 21st December 2016

Liked 3,030 Times in 1,053 Posts
A few more words on the Pen-F IQ

I've been using the Pen-F exclusively for a few weeks now and have had time to consider its IQ in more depth. At first, I was pretty convinced that the differences were very minor over the 16Mp sensors, but with more time spent processing the images, I'm beginning to think differently. It seems to me that the new 20Mp sensor is delivering a number of advantages:

- Increased resolution for pretty much the same noise at most ISOs. This gives more room for cropping and reduces noise when images are scaled to the same size.

- Fantastic noise handling and detail when using ISO 80. Gone is any hint of noise in sky and other uniform areas that you see at ISO 200.

- Slightly better handling of over-exposed/clipped areas.

- Finally, and this is hard to explain (and I hope I'm not falling victim to Hi-Fi reviewers' syndrome here!) - but the files seem to have a better tonality. There is a little more detail in the shadows and there seems to be more subtlety in the range of tones on offer. Now, maybe this is just LR's processing of the raw (I only shoot raw) but either way the Pen-F files are just more pleasing and natural IMHO. Take this for example. I think it's got a great range of tones in it:

Dans la ForÍt by Paul Kaye, on Flickr[/quote]

So, a surprising result - just as well really since I'm not at all coming to terms with the stupid flappy screen and the knob on the front is getting no use, except when I accidentally knock it and wonder what the hell is going on!

Finally, there's an interesting test here on a Korean web-site looking at the DR of the E-M1ii and especially the highlight handling:

http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?i...orum&no=537422

No need to translate - the images say it all. I have a suspicion that the Pen will deliver similar results so I'm planning to do my own version in the near future - watch this space!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
Alpha1 (22nd December 2016), OM USer (29th December 2016), Simon Bee (21st December 2016), yorky (22nd December 2016)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Alpha1 (22nd December 2016), Bengeo (21st December 2016), Bruce Clarke (22nd December 2016), Graham_of_Rainham (21st December 2016), Gromit (12th May 2017), Shaw (21st December 2016), Simon Bee (21st December 2016), The Technician (22nd December 2016), tmy999 (22nd December 2016)
Old 21st December 2016

Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
Re: A few more words on the Pen-F IQ

Hi Paul

I've not got a Pen-F (hoping for an EM1 mk 2 sometime) but absolutely love that forest photo and it does have beautiful tones right through it. Lovely photo!

(Hope your wife is enjoying the EM10).

Best wishes

Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to thecedars For This Useful Post:
Alpha1 (22nd December 2016)
Old 21st December 2016
Administrator

Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts

You will be looking for memory cards with zero O2 conductors and Gold plated contacts.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following User Liked This Post:
George Dorn (22nd December 2016)
Old 22nd December 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
You will be looking for memory cards with zero O2 conductors and Gold plated contacts.
Ha, ha. I guess you're right. "Tonality" sounds like a weasel word in a similar vein to "tighter bass" or "sweeter treble". Well, I'll keep living in my own little bubble since I really do like the images from the Pen-F. This one I took this morning has wonderful detail and tones:

Frozen Tree by Paul Kaye, on Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
Alpha1 (22nd December 2016)
Alpha1 (22nd December 2016), craig (22nd December 2016), Crazy Dave (22nd December 2016)
Old 22nd December 2016

Liked 39 Times in 30 Posts

Was that taken at IS0 80, its superb quality
Old 22nd December 2016

Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts

Love the snowy scene shot, very nice.

Daft question re: ISO 80, is that what ISO Low defaults to on the Pen-F or is there a setting somewhere to extend ISO Low from ISO 100 to 80?
Old 27th December 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Finally, there's an interesting test here on a Korean web-site looking at the DR of the E-M1ii and especially the highlight handling:

http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?i...orum&no=537422

No need to translate - the images say it all. I have a suspicion that the Pen will deliver similar results so I'm planning to do my own version in the near future - watch this space!
OK, so I did a comparison of my own between the E-M1 and the Pen-F. The following is a sequence of LR screen grabs for raw files at EV values of -5 through to +5. Each has been pushed/pulled in LR back to "normal" (i.e. EV0). In other words, it's a stress test of under/over exposure and correction in post-processing. All are at ISO 200 with default LR processing and are 100% crops.

EV=-5:

EV=-4:

EV=-3:

EV=-2:

EV=-1:

EV=0 (no correction):

EV=+1:

EV=+2:

EV=+3:

EV=+4:

EV=+5:

A few observations:

- At EV=-5, the Pen-F image shows a more pronounced colour cast and slightly more noise.

- At EV=-4 to EV=+1, the two are pretty much the same.

- At EV=+2, the E-M1 is already showing blown highlights (look at the crease/join just to the right of the top knob). The Pen is not.

- At EV=+3, the E-M1 is looking pretty disastrous but the Pen-F is still showing good detail.

- At EV=+4, the Pen-F is still doing better than the E-M1 at EV=+2. In other words, more than 2-stops of extra recovery!

- At EV=+5, the E-M1 completely falls apart, but the Pen still has some information left (e.g. look at the shadow of the knob - the E-M1 has lost it entirely, but the Pen still shows it).

Given the worse performance at EV=-5 for the Pen, I tried pushing the shadows on the EV=0 shot to +100 to see how the two sensors coped with that:

Here's an area before fill:

And after:

The noise in both is very acceptable - in other words, the Pen is not doing any worse on a 100 shadow fill of an EV0 exposed shot. Phew.

On the face of it then, the Pen-F does seem to be offering the potential for larger DR since it will tolerate more highlight pulling later. That probably explains why the ISO 80 seems to work so well - since these lower extended ISOs are essentially working by overexposing and then pulling back in post-processing.

I also noticed that the E-M1 images render more contrasty than the Pen-F images using the LR default settings. This probably explains why I'm seeing more "tonality". It could be that playing with LR settings will get the E-M1 to the same place, but I haven't tried that yet.

Finally, I'll state the obvious caveats:

- These are raw files and so the results are subject to the interpretation that LR makes on them. However, that's the tool I use so I'm OK with that as a constraint.

- The -5 to +5 EV push/pull may not be a perfect way to show how more normally-exposed images react to tonal range. However, I can't think of a better way to do it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
Alpha1 (28th December 2016), Gromit (17th May 2017), scrote (20th January 2017), Zuiko (29th December 2016)
Alpha1 (28th December 2016), Crazy Dave (28th December 2016)