Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 21st December 2016
Grumpy Member

Liked 380 Times in 177 Posts
Re: EM1 MKII Lock Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Part of the problem is in the inability to write an unambiguous requirement specifications, enter Rational Rhapsody based on UML, using graphical models.
Ah yes. Requirements capture and speccing. That along with unrealistic cost estimates due to the sales team wanting to keep the price appearing low are, I would suggest from my experience, the two most common reasons for IT project problems or indeed failures.

Major projects typically are specified by a management team as opposed to the people who will use them and therefore when a beta is delivered for test it doesn't work as needed. I would suggest that the problems with NHS projects are caused by this along with unrealistic timescales.

Anyway we are getting off topic so apologies.

Hec
Old 22nd December 2016

Liked 2,278 Times in 871 Posts

Just experienced the lock up too! Was shooting in Silent Low with the 300 f4 and it locked after a short burst. Only remedy was battery out.
Old 22nd December 2016

Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Beginning to look like an EM1 MkII problem with the differing lenses.

Regards

Chris
Old 22nd December 2016

Liked 783 Times in 466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
Ah yes. Requirements capture and speccing. That along with unrealistic cost estimates due to the sales team wanting to keep the price appearing low are, I would suggest from my experience, the two most common reasons for IT project problems or indeed failures.

Major projects typically are specified by a management team as opposed to the people who will use them and therefore when a beta is delivered for test it doesn't work as needed. I would suggest that the problems with NHS projects are caused by this along with unrealistic timescales.

Anyway we are getting off topic so apologies.

Hec
I can see you've experienced the same methodology. Spec writing is a highly skilled task, and it's vital to have reviews at various levels prior to release to the designers. The often forgotten requirements are the ones that ask the question, what should it do if X happens, ie the unexpected. The easy thing is to define what should happen in an orderly progression of events. If you want to cut development costs, do it right.

on flickr
Old 23rd December 2016

I reported the problem direct to Olympus and had an email back this am asking for further info. If you have had the problem then I encourage you to report it via your myolympus account.
Old 23rd December 2016

Olympus current thinking appear to be that it only occurs when you use a memory card that has not been formatted in the camera first. If this is not the case for you then shout!
Old 23rd December 2016

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

While I can't swear that I formatted the two cards in the camera, that is my normal practice. I either formatted or erased them in-camera. Neither were UHS-II cards.
Old 23rd December 2016

Hi Bassman, welcome to the forum!

Do send a message to Olympus to tell them what happened, it will help them out and you may get a voucher!
Old 23rd December 2016

Liked 226 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagletorque View Post
Olympus current thinking appear to be that it only occurs when you use a memory card that has not been formatted in the camera first. If this is not the case for you then shout!
I had a new lexar 64GB 2000x UHS-II in slot 1, was shooting from slot 1 and had formatted the card in slot 1. I am thinking that as there are 2 processors in this camera it is only affecting one, thats why I was able to scroll around the menus. It would be interesting to know which processor is doing which functions. I have not reported my incident yet as I am expecting to repeat the lockup in which I will collect as much data as I can at the time.

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
Old 23rd December 2016

Liked 372 Times in 253 Posts

What further information are you expecting to collect, John? I would have thought that the EXIF in the last shot before it locked up will have all the settings info, and you should have that already. With previous lockups with the mark I it can lock up at any time, not just when trying to take a shot or writing it to the card.

John
Old 23rd December 2016

Liked 226 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
What further information are you expecting to collect, John? I would have thought that the EXIF in the last shot before it locked up will have all the settings info, and you should have that already. With previous lockups with the mark I it can lock up at any time, not just when trying to take a shot or writing it to the card.

John
I never found with the EM1 lockups that the exif provided help as to what was causing the problems, because it was not identified with any particular setting. From the early reports the MKII lockups seems to be going the same way. When the lockups happens I often find myself in the middle of something I cannot breakaway from, I just want the camera back working. What it requires is one to make as many detailed notes about the sequence of button presses and now that we have a setting with a good guide on battery condition is to make a proper note of that value, something I forgot to do with my lockup.

I do find it odd that with all the testing the experts had with this model nobody reported any lockups and yet a week into joe public having them the lockups starts. It maybe that the experts all had the benefit of an Olympus expert to help and guide them when something unexplained happened.

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
Old 23rd December 2016

Liked 37 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboy View Post

I do find it odd that with all the testing the experts had with this model nobody reported any lockups and yet a week into joe public having them the lockups starts. It maybe that the experts all had the benefit of an Olympus expert to help and guide them when something unexplained happened.
I concur (entry no 23 of thread) Quite a simple problem a full lock up needing the removal of battery to re-instate camera. I think the em1mk2 will be on a firmware update before too long? Along with maybe the new 12-100f4 hopefully I will be wrong. Just not good enough Olympus.
Kind regards mike
Old 24th December 2016

Liked 1,260 Times in 613 Posts

with the EM-1 lock-ups I found that when I checked the camera settings they had reverted to the previous state before the lock-up. it appeared that changing the settings I was using seemed to have locked the programme somehow, so it reverted to the previous "safe" condition

It may be interesting to see if something similar is happening here?

(no lock up yet for me)
Old 24th December 2016

Liked 372 Times in 253 Posts

I think it is simpler than that, Brian. Nothing to do with "safe" settings - if you change the settings they will take effect, but are not committed to the camera's memory until you switch off. If the camera dies in flight for some reason the changed settings don't get saved, and when you switch it back on it will revert to the settings it had last time you switched it on.

John
The Following User Liked This Post:
brian1208 (24th December 2016)
Old 24th December 2016

Liked 783 Times in 466 Posts

You guys should bite the bullet and go for W10, that should sort it

on flickr