Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 18th December 2016

Liked 974 Times in 602 Posts
Re: EM1 MKII Lock Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I'll let you guys iron out the bugs and in 5 years I'll buy one of your cameras in perfect working order for about 250.
Early adopters have been beta testers for Olympus since the OM4 started shipping in the early 80's.
Old 18th December 2016

Liked 881 Times in 522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Early adopters have been beta testers for Olympus since the OM4 started shipping in the early 80's.
And for every other manufacturer under the sun. Olympus are no different, it's a facet of technology. Software and firmware, and under limiting conditions even hardware, are so complex that the human designer cannot possibly discover all the design errors. It's for this reason that fly by wire aircraft have multiple processing systems, with an arbiter as well. Each hardware design solution is different, and the software different too, in terms of programming language and compiler. This is chosen to minimise the risk of human failure.

on flickr
The Following Users Liked This Post:
brian1208 (18th December 2016), drmarkf (19th December 2016)
Old 18th December 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
And for every other manufacturer under the sun. Olympus are no different, it's a facet of technology. Software and firmware, and under limiting conditions even hardware, are so complex that the human designer cannot possibly discover all the design errors. It's for this reason that fly by wire aircraft have multiple processing systems, with an arbiter as well. Each hardware design solution is different, and the software different too, in terms of programming language and compiler. This is chosen to minimise the risk of human failure.
One reason why I turned down the offer of a R system in the mid 90's. I'd already thrown my OM4 across a car park but knew I could rely on my OM2n's to get the shot.

I remember Nikon and Canon having issues with some of their 'pro' models over the years, the F3 being particularly amusing as it affected some of my competitors at the time.
Old 18th December 2016
Administrator

Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,119 Posts
Liked 3,108 Times in 1,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I was late to the game even back then with the OM4Ti. Initially I couldn't see the point of the all-singing, all-dancing newcomer as I thought my OM-1 did all I required. That only changed when the manager of my local camera shop phoned to tell me he had taken a mint 4Ti in part exchange and thought I might be interested. Initially I declined but he offered to let me try it over the weekend and on Monday I was back at the shop flexing my credit card. I experienced none of the battery drain or circuit board problems of the original OM-4.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 18th December 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I was late to the game even back then with the OM4Ti. Initially I couldn't see the point of the all-singing, all-dancing newcomer as I thought my OM-1 did all I required. That only changed when the manager of my local camera shop phoned to tell me he had taken a mint 4Ti in part exchange and thought I might be interested. Initially I declined but he offered to let me try it over the weekend and on Monday I was back at the shop flexing my credit card. I experienced none of the battery drain or circuit board problems of the original OM-4.
I had one of the first batch of OM4 into the UK so had discovered two of the problems before anything appeared in the photo press. Olympus had already replaced the metering stud on the lens mount of mine before they issued a warning.

But I've never understood why I had so many shutter and circuit board issues compared to other OM4/4Ti users.

My OM1 on the other hand suffered massive abuse and never let me down.
Zuiko (18th December 2016)
Old 18th December 2016

Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Having thought about this more, I realised there was one other possible addition to the settings that may have added to the problem.

The camera was set with a preview of the photo you just took. I had not turned this feature off when it happened.

However I turned it back on and could not get it to fail this afternoon.

So Murphy's law will have to see if it strikes again.

I do understand there may be a software update for the lens as well. so will also look into that later.

Regards

Chris
Old 18th December 2016

Thanked 1,021 Times in 804 Posts
Liked 1,064 Times in 664 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2EWS View Post
Having thought about this more, I realised there was one other possible addition to the settings that may have added to the problem.

The camera was set with a preview of the photo you just took. I had not turned this feature off when it happened.

However I turned it back on and could not get it to fail this afternoon.

So Murphy's law will have to see if it strikes again.

I do understand there may be a software update for the lens as well. so will also look into that later.

Regards

Chris
The latest FW update 4.2 for the E-M1 has issues similarly around the same operation (with Rec View off). I wonder if there is a related FW bug?
Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 18th December 2016

Liked 40 Times in 34 Posts

I would have thought with all of the Olympus ambassadors worldwide trying out the gear before it goes on sale to the public, these problems should of been sorted?
But that's me being old fashioned!
Kind regards mike
Old 18th December 2016

Liked 2,539 Times in 907 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdb2 View Post
I would have thought with all of the Olympus ambassadors worldwide trying out the gear before it goes on sale to the public, these problems should of been sorted?
But that's me being old fashioned!
Kind regards mike
We've probably multiplied by 100, or even 1000 the number of people using the camera now so it's not surprising if hard-to-find bugs manifest themselves more frequently.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (18th December 2016)
Old 19th December 2016

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Two lockups in the last 24 hours.

Two well-broken in SD cards in slots 1 and 2. Neither are UHS-II.
Panasonic 35-100/2.8 mounted both times.

Incident 1: camera locked with a highly disfocused image in the EVF. LCD was turned inward. Dismounting and remou ting the lens had no effect. Power off/on worked, but had no effect. Other buttons inoperative.

Incident 2: in the video menu, entire camera locked. All buttons including power lever inop.

In both cases removing the battery resolved the problem.
Old 21st December 2016

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Two instances of lockup over the weekend, both resolved by removing the battery, both with the Panasonic 35-100/2.8 mounted.

- the camera froze after being turned on with a blurry image in the EVF, nothing on the LCD and all buttons including power unresponsive

- the camera froze a second time while shooting. This time the power lever worked, but had no other effect. An image was frozen on the LCD. No other controls responded.
Old 21st December 2016
Grumpy Member

Liked 384 Times in 181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
We've probably multiplied by 100, or even 1000 the number of people using the camera now so it's not surprising if hard-to-find bugs manifest themselves more frequently.
Absolutely. Some things are incredibly hard to find in testing.

Many years ago I used to install and commission electronic telephone exchanges. We used to use large testers to generate millions of calls to try and simulate load conditions and odd combinations of calls, routes and the like. Yet in spite of that it was not unusual to get strange bugs appear, sometimes within minutes, of putting real customers onto the exchange. People do unexpected things and in the right combination of circumstances bugs appear.

Similar things happened later in my career when I dealt with pure software. No matter how much carefully planned testing you do when you try and predict all sorts of combinations of events, when real usage occurs its not uncommon to see bugs. It is frustrating for all and actually expensive for the company as cost of failure is typically twice that, at least, of getting it right first time.

Hec
Old 21st December 2016

Liked 229 Times in 120 Posts

I had something like a lockup yesterday. I was using the Procapture mode with the Olympus 300mm f4 Pro lens and when I went to view the pictures using the blue button nothing happened I could however scroll though the menus. I could not take another picture and there was nothing indicating that camera was saving. The battery was low at about 20%. Turning on and off had no effect but taking the battery out and in did work and it was back to normal operation. It was not long after this that the battery ran out so I am thinking battery related.

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
Old 21st December 2016

Liked 153 Times in 92 Posts

The definition given to me when I started programming

Only trivial programs have no bugs when first coded
Therefore any program with no bugs first time is trivial
The skill is in not creating trivial bugs in complex code
Learn from your mistakes and don't do them again

My experience ... The trouble with really complex things is that it is rarely just one developer and most problems are inter subsystem communications

Regards
Andy

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://shenstonephoto.blogspot.com/
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
Old 21st December 2016

Liked 881 Times in 522 Posts

Part of the problem is in the inability to write an unambiguous requirement specifications, enter Rational Rhapsody based on UML, using graphical models.

on flickr