Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 23rd December 2016

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Focus Point Size

Ross, many thanks for this confirmation. This could explain a lot. Almost the only success I've had when trying to photograph birds flying against vegetation have been Short-eared Owls in low winter sun; I suspect the pale face with bright yellow eye and/or contrasty underwing might have tempted the focus algorithm to ignore the background just for a moment. Guess I need to convince the sensible half of my brain that purchase of an E-M1 II really is justifiable! Apologies for this minor diversion from the OP topic.
Brian
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (23rd December 2016)
Old 26th December 2016

Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts

Either I have done something wrong, I find the AF not as fast as the mk1. Took the mk2 to HK and many a time i feel the af just don't work. I am getting shots that are totally off when I press the shutter button and many a times, totally oof shots.
Old 26th December 2016

Thanked 1,003 Times in 789 Posts
Liked 1,039 Times in 647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post
Either I have done something wrong, I find the AF not as fast as the mk1. Took the mk2 to HK and many a time i feel the af just don't work. I am getting shots that are totally off when I press the shutter button and many a times, totally oof shots.
Do the focus points align with the intended target when reviewing the images in Play Back (thumbnail view with details)? If not, then that may give you the reason.
Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 27th December 2016

On multi af matrix, sometimes there is no respond. I switched to single center af and i still have the same unresponsive focus. The camera needs several press before it focus. Seems like the mk1 previously.

Did I missed something? The blinking af don't show on anymore.
Old 27th December 2016

Quote:
On multi af matrix, sometimes there is no respond. I switched to single center af and i still have the same unresponsive focus. The camera needs several press before it focus. Seems like the mk1 previously.

Did I missed something? The blinking af don't show on anymore.
If you want to discuss AF issues then I think you need to show an image of the scene you're having difficulty with because I do not think other's comments reflect what you're saying. Also, with what lens are you having the most difficulty with?
Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 30th December 2016

Uncle Ross, I am wondering how to word my problems with the AF on this MK2. I had the 12-40/2.8 mounted most of the time and the AF is just not a sharp as in my earlier complain and it's also not a responsive. I tried getting that CDAF but it cannot seem to get that multi blinking as rectangles.
I have now set it back to smack center and reframing as I have done..that AF still not as responsive. I am only wondering if I have done something wrong or if my camera faulty?
The Lens works perfectly with the MK1. So it's not the lens. What should I be looking at in the menu? What should I try?
Beagletorque (1st January 2017)
Old 30th December 2016

Quote:
Uncle Ross, I am wondering how to word my problems with the AF on this MK2. I had the 12-40/2.8 mounted most of the time and the AF is just not a sharp as in my earlier complain and it's also not a responsive. I tried getting that CDAF but it cannot seem to get that multi blinking as rectangles.
I have now set it back to smack center and reframing as I have done..that AF still not as responsive. I am only wondering if I have done something wrong or if my camera faulty?
The Lens works perfectly with the MK1. So it's not the lens. What should I be looking at in the menu? What should I try?
Can you please show us an image where it is difficult to focus? On the E-M1 I had the (DSLR) ZD14-54 II f2.8-3.5 lens & trying to photograph across the valley where it was a little hazy & indistinct & it just struggled to find focus with PD-AF. I pointed the E-M5 at it with the 12-50 EZ lens on & it just locked on straight away. The E-M1 struggled with only horizontal PD-AF sensing (needing vertical detail), but the E-M1 Mk II has cross PD-AF & with CD-AF, but I have not had any chance to try the camera for myself so it is a little hard for me to know what is really happening with you. Mind you, on the E-M1 (& even more on the E-M5) the Pro 40-150 lens with TC can hunt too if there isn't sufficient contrast detail (using CD-AF).
Let's see one of your troublesome scenes with the Mk II (yes, I know the E-M1 works OK).
Old 31st December 2016

Finally for something that I could share.
The AF is set to single AF and right smack in the middle. Notice the leaves in the background are super sharp.

Subsequent shots are however sharp.

Even when the subject decided to do a hide and seek.

Lens used 12-40 @ 40 mm, F2.8, 1/160, ISO400
Old 1st January 2017

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've too have noticed the same focus behavior as demonstrated in the uploaded photos. It seems harder to achieve precise, tack sharp focus with my new E-M1.2. The first photo is clearly back focused. I've read elsewhere that new focusing algorithms were used in the E-M1.2, which look for the sharpest vertical with in the focus rectangle, and sometimes that can be on the edge of the target rectangle. Although much slower to acquire focus, my previous E-M5 body is better at narrow focus targeting. This is an annoyance for a pixel peeper like me who frequently shoots at wide open aperture.

I was performing a few CAF and CAF+TR tests with my wife riding towards me on he bicycle. Sometimes the E-M1.2 would focus on her earring for and entire sequence. Because she was starting from a far distance, there was no way I could control on what feature of my wife's face the camera would choose, and facial recognition wouldn't automatically activate. I switched to 5-spot and 9-spot thinking it might average multiple focus points, which it might be doing, but that just widened the choices so that it would "lock" focus on the handle bar or front reflector. I was using the M.Zuiko 40-150mm zoomed to 150.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Have a look at page 41 in the em1.2 user manual. It explains how to it better than in previous models.

As far as I've seen in my previous em5, min size of small box corresponds to a 14x magnification. This is the very same value new em1.2 have in single point.
The Following User Says Thank You to c12402 For This Useful Post:
bassman (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Press info on back of camera

touch screen to bring up shooting option - green square.

Touch screen which will bring up slider/scale on right

Touch the size required

This is not a menu option

Eric
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Focus - birds in flight above - not surprised. EVFs have a refresh rate thus you see the bird an instant late but enough for it to have left AF area.

DSLR's with optical viewfinder better for this - and even then possibly some anticipation/and definitely motor drive is needed.

Eric
Old 6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric8255 View Post
Focus - birds in flight above - not surprised. EVFs have a refresh rate thus you see the bird an instant late but enough for it to have left AF area.

DSLR's with optical viewfinder better for this - and even then possibly some anticipation/and definitely motor drive is needed.

Eric
That's is why they have this ProCap option. The camera actually start capturing when you 1/2 press. BUT that only works with Olympus micro fourthirds lenses. If you have the older fourthird, sorry, it does not work. If you have the Sigma Bigma, sorry, it does not work, if you have any of the other native micro fourthird, it does not work and if it's manual, it does not work.
Old 6 Days Ago

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I see how that could work but there are a couple of issues.

If you are half pressing and the camera starts capturing then - it would be best to have an enormous card.

Second apart from the Oly 300 f/4 which is big money there do not appear to be suitable lenses and I would not think an f/4 (essentially f/5.6) 35mm equivilent is fast enough at least on a m 4/3 system.

I think it is horses for courses - for sport (I don't shoot birds) or where I want highest quality I use DSLR - street and general the Olympus.