Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 17th December 2016

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Focus Point Size

I took the plunge and picked an EM1 MK2 with 12-40 lens from SRS and have to say that so far so good. One thing that is puzzling me is not being able to choose a small AF point as I can on my EM1. On my EM1, if I have the AF points displayed and have a single AF point selected, I can press the info. button and then use the rear dial to change the size of the AF between the normal rectangle and small square. This does not seem to work on the MK2.

Does anyone know if this is just the way the MK2 works or have I missed somethng?
Old 17th December 2016

Liked 338 Times in 141 Posts
Re: Focus Point Size

Have you tried using the up/down keys to change the setting once you have pressed info?

E-M5 II, 9-18, 12-40, 17, 40-150, 45, 60, 100-400

Website
Flickr
Old 17th December 2016

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I have and that just moves the AF point around.
Old 17th December 2016

Liked 244 Times in 120 Posts

I asked the Olympus rep about the small AF point focus option - at one of the MkII preview days last month. He told me that this feature was no longer needed because all of the 121 AF points used PDAF sensing (in addition to the CDAF) in all AF modes and this provided the precision previously afforded by the small point feature.
Grumpy Hec (17th December 2016), pault (19th December 2016), raichea (19th December 2016)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
DavyG (17th December 2016), Ross the fiddler (17th December 2016)
Old 17th December 2016

Liked 798 Times in 223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chphotos View Post
I took the plunge and picked an EM1 MK2 with 12-40 lens from SRS and have to say that so far so good. One thing that is puzzling me is not being able to choose a small AF point as I can on my EM1. On my EM1, if I have the AF points displayed and have a single AF point selected, I can press the info. button and then use the rear dial to change the size of the AF between the normal rectangle and small square. This does not seem to work on the MK2.

Does anyone know if this is just the way the MK2 works or have I missed somethng?
This appears to be the way the Mark 2 works.

It's one of the differences between the E-M1 and the Mark 2 that I don't understand yet.

Dave
Old 17th December 2016

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Chris, thanks for your reply which explains why I couldn't find the option.

Dave, I'm starting to find small differences between the two which adds to the 'fun' in playing with a new camera.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
brian1208 (17th December 2016), DavyG (17th December 2016), pault (19th December 2016)
Old 19th December 2016

Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts

Seems Oly needs a kick to enable back that smaller AF settings.
Old 19th December 2016

Thanked 1,003 Times in 789 Posts
Liked 1,039 Times in 647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post
Seems Oly needs a kick to enable back that smaller AF settings.
Why?

I don't think it should be necessary now that all AF is done with cross type PD-AF (with CD-AF) which has negated the need for a small CD-AF area, since PD-AF will focus on the closest subject while CD-AF focussed on the contrasting detail that could be the background if that focus area was larger than the subject.
To quote Olympus Australia site http://www.olympus.com.au/Products/I...ed-Performance
Quote:
121-point All-cross-type On-chip Phase Detection AF
This E-M1 Mark II is equipped with an 11 x 11 121-point All-cross-type sensor. With an AF area that covers 75% vertically and 80% horizontally, subjects can be tracked across a wide range. All 121 points are cross-type focus points, making subject detection very accurate.

121-point All-cross-type Sensor
Actual images are different from the images displayed in the viewfinder.
Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following User Liked This Post:
Bengeo (19th December 2016)
Old 19th December 2016

Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts

I don't see that little red cross. Unless there is something I did not do to get it to work.
Old 19th December 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post
I don't see that little red cross. Unless there is something I did not do to get it to work.
No, as the small fine print at the bottom indicates, but that image is showing a representation of the sensor cross point being in the centre of the focus area.

Go & take a photo (with the E-M1 Mk II) of an object that is small in the frame that is in front of a detailed background & tell me if it focuses correctly or not.

BTW, also check (chimp) in camera if the focus was actually on the intended target or if it (or you) moved.
Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 19th December 2016

Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts

If you want a smaller focus box you can always use the magnify option to get an up to 14x view. Works very well for insect or feather detail.
Old 19th December 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
If you want a smaller focus box you can always use the magnify option to get an up to 14x view. Works very well for insect or feather detail.
I get the feeling that it would default to using CD-AF in those circumstances, since it can be used anywhere on the screen (within the AF area of the total screen) & may not align with one of the 121 cross type PD-AF points.

With all this angst from some over "the loss of the small AF target", I have to ask, is it actually showing as a problem in using the camera, because each time it seems that with the S-AF (& C-AF) that it is being overlooked that the E-M1 & the E-M1 Mk II with M4/3's lenses focus differently (but always PD-AF for 4/3's lenses) & the E-M1 Mk II should now be basically treated like a DSLR while the E-M1 behaves differently when only using CD-AF, requiring that "small auto focus area" for pinpoint subject targets. The Mk II I think would be the same when using the small AF area with the Magnified View method though.

Sorry if my my description isn't straight forward & clear, but I hope in my ramblings my point is understood.
Old 19th December 2016

Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
I get the feeling that it would default to using CD-AF in those circumstances, since it can be used anywhere on the screen (within the AF area of the total screen) & may not align with one of the 121 cross type PD-AF points.

That would be true.

BTW I am finding the C-AF so good that I use it with single focus point instead of S-AF. You get the advantage of PDAF picking out the nearer subject and can always switch to CDAF if required by using magnify.
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyR For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (19th December 2016)
Old 22nd December 2016

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
I don't think it should be necessary now that all AF is done with cross type PD-AF (with CD-AF) which has negated the need for a small CD-AF area, since PD-AF will focus on the closest subject while CD-AF focussed on the contrasting detail that could be the background if that focus area was larger than the subject.
I'd really appreciate some amplification of this! I'm more birder than photographer and currently use an E-M10 with 75-300 II, mainly for flying raptors. I have captured a few images I'm pleased with but these are always birds in good light against a blue sky. Almost invariably when I try and photograph a bird flying across a terrestrial background, the camera will focus on background vegetation, not the bird - even if the smallest AF square is over the bird. If the statement quoted above is valid, I have found the cause of all those focus failures! Is it really the case that PD-AF, as in the E-M1 II, will try and focus on the closer object? Any guidance much appreciated!
Brian
Old 22nd December 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang View Post
I'd really appreciate some amplification of this! I'm more birder than photographer and currently use an E-M10 with 75-300 II, mainly for flying raptors. I have captured a few images I'm pleased with but these are always birds in good light against a blue sky. Almost invariably when I try and photograph a bird flying across a terrestrial background, the camera will focus on background vegetation, not the bird - even if the smallest AF square is over the bird. If the statement quoted above is valid, I have found the cause of all those focus failures! Is it really the case that PD-AF, as in the E-M1 II, will try and focus on the closer object? Any guidance much appreciated!
Brian
Yes, this is why the E-M1 Mk II will shine in this area. Unfortunately, the E-M10 (& all the other non PD-AF models) struggle with in this regard because of the CD-AF way of focussing. The detail in the AF box is what it focusses on & why it is necessary to restrict that box (area) to the actual subject or else it might focus on the background. This can be an advantage if the subject is a bird in a bushy tree where it will ignore any small branches in front & still focus on the bird.