Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Dealers' Den

Dealers' Den The idea of this board is to provide a link between e-group members and Olympus UK dealers.

Old 1st November 2016

Liked 1,410 Times in 505 Posts
Re: Wow EM1 warranty extended to 6 years for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Clarke View Post
I did register for the free 6 months extended warranty, priority servicing etc when I first got my E-M1. If you didn't do that, you may not get the extra free 3 years?
I registered for and received the extra 6 months warranty but I haven't received the extra 3 years warranty yet, despite registering for the Mk II updates yesterday. Lucky dip time?

Ron
Old 1st November 2016

Liked 75 Times in 44 Posts

I suspect it's a glitch... I've registered for reviews and re-requested the newsletter, but no additional warranty. There is an "Activate" button for another 3 years but that requires a code you have to purchase.
Old 1st November 2016

Liked 205 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichea View Post
I suspect it's a glitch... I've registered for reviews and re-requested the newsletter, but no additional warranty. There is an "Activate" button for another 3 years but that requires a code you have to purchase.
..and if you read the terms and conditions I think that the extended warranty has to be purchased during the original warranty period.
Old 1st November 2016

Liked 2,266 Times in 863 Posts

Free to all?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-expires.html
Old 1st November 2016

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts

absolutely offing brilliant !!

Camera has had one trip to Portugal to get grip sorted. Was about to cough up to get it hot shoe problem sorted now it seems it might get another free trip.

Very happy.
Old 1st November 2016

Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts

I would be cautious about the extended warranty. I'm currently 'in talks' with Olympus over the repair of my camera although they haven't got back to me as promised for almost two weeks.

Long story short I sent my EM-1 off for a repair as the cable release connection wasn't working. It showed under guarantee on my 'MyOlympus' page. It took about three weeks to receive an email requesting 140 to repair it. I queried it, sent them a screen shot of my page as they said I only had 2 1/2 years warranty not 3 and that had expired. They eventually said that it showed US style dates hence I was out of warranty. I would have accepted that but my initial purchase and 2 year warranty date was in the correct UK format and couldn't be US dates as they insisted as it would have meant I purchased the camera before its release.

I went out of the country on holiday the following day, they didn't get back to me with any update before I left and I only returned yesterday so haven't had time to contact them for an update.

Their website is obviously glitchy, I've never queried the length of my guarantee, I've just taken the dates shown at face value. Olympus don't appear to be prepared to honour the guarantee as the software fault is very much their end. If I had known I would have sent my camera off earlier for repair but I just assumed I had 3 years as this was what it showed.

I will be fighting this but Olympus have taken it upon themselves to remove my original registration and reregister my camera, US date format showing that it is not under guarantee. To say I'm unimpressed is an understatement. I really didn't expect this lack of customer service from them as they always seemed so good.
Old 1st November 2016

Liked 188 Times in 63 Posts

Sorry to hear about those problems Anne. I think I got the same deal as everyone else and that was a 2 year warranty with an extra 6 months on registration. That took me from November 2013 to May this year and before it ended I bought the extra 3 years extended warranty for 99.
Old 1st November 2016

Liked 392 Times in 171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichea View Post
My thinking too.... I've tried registering for the reviews but no additional warranty.

Olympus bodies and lenses
CaptureOne Pro
My flickr
Old 2nd November 2016

Liked 238 Times in 160 Posts

Thanks for the heads up on this. Hope it's genuine but seems too good to be true.
Not the best way to get us to buy the Mk 2 then! The price prohibits this at the moment.

E-M1, Pen F, E-PL5, HLD-7, 17, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), Nikon F80 (film), 28-105 Sigma, GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & 5* Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 2nd November 2016

Liked 68 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Clarke View Post
I did register for the free 6 months extended warranty, priority servicing etc when I first got my E-M1. If you didn't do that, you may not get the extra free 3 years? It sounds like it might be partially a softener for a horrendous price on the E-M1 II

For those having problems finding things they registered, check you don't have more than one login. Oly's various sites are a bit of a mess. It's sometimes not clear which login you should use.
Did all of the above, so not sure any solid answers yet thanks i will keep monitoring this thread and maybe buzz olympus soon to ask.
Old 4th November 2016

Liked 238 Times in 160 Posts

Just tried this. Said page is unavailable. Too good to be true then?

E-M1, Pen F, E-PL5, HLD-7, 17, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), Nikon F80 (film), 28-105 Sigma, GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & 5* Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 4th November 2016

Liked 682 Times in 417 Posts

I hope not Dave. This thread was started with a really positive feeling I hope it's not all going down the pan. It would be a great precedent to set if Olympus confirmed it was correct and that they were also introducing a 6 yr warranty for early pre-order adopters of the EM1 mk2 as well. That might help people who are a bit shocked about the price get over the hurdle.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phill D For This Useful Post:
rosiebud (4th November 2016)
Old 20th December 2016

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

I think I know what's going on here now! Just heard on the Facebook Olympus OM-D Owners Group UK page that someone who bought the Mk II direct from the Oly shop got an extra 3 year's warranty. That's where I bought my Mk I, so looks like they added it retrospectively, which is nice. Did you buy your Mk I from the Oly shop Phill?

http://flickr.com/photos/bruce-clarke/
Old 20th December 2016

Liked 682 Times in 417 Posts

Hi Bruce sorry to blow a hole in your theory but no, I got mine from SRS.
Old 20th December 2016

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

Bang goes that theory then! Gawd knows...

http://flickr.com/photos/bruce-clarke/