Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Dealers' Den

Dealers' Den The idea of this board is to provide a link between e-group members and Olympus UK dealers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 14th October 2016
drmarkf's Avatar
drmarkf drmarkf is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 3,176
Thanks: 211
Thanked 291 Times in 249 Posts
Likes: 847
Liked 770 Times in 420 Posts
Re: What is it with Olympus lens prices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdb2 View Post
Well in the very few years that UKIP was a known party they managed to obtain there goal. Which is more than can be said of previous governments. But let's finish with floyd. US AND THEM?
Kind regards mike
No, I'm setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

__________________
Regards,
Mark

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Olympus E-M1ii x2: 7-14, 12-100, 40-150, 45, 60, 75, 300, 1.4tc.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
Reply With Quote
The Following Users Liked This Post:
George Dorn (20th December 2016), Zuiko (15th October 2016)
  #32  
Old 14th October 2016
Greytop's Avatar
Greytop Greytop is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Berkshire, UK.
Posts: 5,707
Thanks: 1,084
Thanked 527 Times in 494 Posts
Likes: 1,068
Liked 608 Times in 231 Posts
Re: What is it with Olympus lens prices?

Yes, akin to agents provocateurs of the recent British political landscape.
__________________
Regards Huw


Olympus bodies and lenses
CaptureOne Pro
My flickr
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (15th October 2016)
  #33  
Old 15th October 2016
Zuiko's Avatar
Zuiko Zuiko is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dunmow, Essex
Posts: 19,980
Thanks: 1,859
Thanked 2,849 Times in 2,195 Posts
Likes: 2,592
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,633 Posts
Re: What is it with Olympus lens prices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdb2 View Post
Well in the very few years that UKIP was a known party they managed to obtain there goal. Which is more than can be said of previous governments. But let's finish with floyd. US AND THEM?
Kind regards mike
Yes, respect to UKIP for delivering their manifesto promise, they are probably the only party ever to do this! I think "Us and Them" pretty much sums up what is wrong with the World.
__________________
John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 15th October 2016
Mdb2's Avatar
Mdb2 Mdb2 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 421
Thanks: 38
Thanked 50 Times in 41 Posts
Likes: 28
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
Re: What is it with Olympus lens prices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Yes, respect to UKIP for delivering their manifesto promise, they are probably the only party ever to do this! I think "Us and Them" pretty much sums up what is wrong with the World.
Well guoted sir, "Arnold Layne"
__________________
http://www.wingsofnature.org
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 15th October 2016
Mdb2's Avatar
Mdb2 Mdb2 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 421
Thanks: 38
Thanked 50 Times in 41 Posts
Likes: 28
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
Re: What is it with Olympus lens prices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
No, I'm setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

Don't forget to turn on the interstellar overdrive on otherwise it will take ages
Kind regards mike
__________________
http://www.wingsofnature.org
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 18th December 2016
Loup Garou's Avatar
Loup Garou Loup Garou is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Royal Wootton Bassett
Posts: 667
Thanks: 79
Thanked 40 Times in 40 Posts
Likes: 50
Liked 48 Times in 41 Posts
Re: What is it with Olympus lens prices?

It varies with the dealer. my local is Great Western Cameras and on a couple of occasions I have had excellent discounts from them for no apparent reason. The Olympus 7-14,, f2.8 PRO cost me 849 (boxed and sealed with the blue protectors still in place) when every other outlet had it for 999 and even the "dodgy dealers" were asking 899. Likewise, the Olympus 14-150mm f4-5.6 II was available at 449 when all other high streeters were asking 499 to 549.

I suspect some dealers get these limited offers or whatever you call them with the suppliers and transfer them to the customers.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 18th December 2016
Gwyver's Avatar
Gwyver Gwyver is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: nr Stockport
Posts: 1,233
Thanks: 88
Thanked 289 Times in 184 Posts
Likes: 236
Liked 335 Times in 156 Posts
Re: What is it with Olympus lens prices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loup Garou View Post
It varies with the dealer. my local is Great Western Cameras and on a couple of occasions I have had excellent discounts from them for no apparent reason. The Olympus 7-14,, f2.8 PRO cost me 849 (boxed and sealed with the blue protectors still in place) when every other outlet had it for 999 and even the "dodgy dealers" were asking 899. Likewise, the Olympus 14-150mm f4-5.6 II was available at 449 when all other high streeters were asking 499 to 549.

I suspect some dealers get these limited offers or whatever you call them with the suppliers and transfer them to the customers.
Perhaps your dealer was selling old stock (i.e. Items he had acquired prior to the Olympus imposed price increase). Better to get a sale at the old price - with the profit margin he had been expecting - than lose a sale for an opportunist attempt to get extra margin?
__________________
Chris
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 18th December 2016
Loup Garou's Avatar
Loup Garou Loup Garou is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Royal Wootton Bassett
Posts: 667
Thanks: 79
Thanked 40 Times in 40 Posts
Likes: 50
Liked 48 Times in 41 Posts
Re: What is it with Olympus lens prices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyver View Post
Perhaps your dealer was selling old stock (i.e. Items he had acquired prior to the Olympus imposed price increase). Better to get a sale at the old price - with the profit margin he had been expecting - than lose a sale for an opportunist attempt to get extra margin?
Not at all. I have been there customer for 19 years and know the senior salesman personally. When I went 'digital' in 1999, he gave me an unexpectedly good price for my old Canon EOS 10 and lenses, at least 25% more than I had hoped for. Since then I have bought several items from them and the aforementioned discount applied to certain ones only. I bought the Olympus 60mm f2.8 from them for an equivalent price elsewhere.

Finally the Olympus 7-14mm f2.8 was only just out when I bought it from them. In fact he phoned me to say new stock had arrived.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 20th December 2016
iso iso is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Kent
Posts: 1,638
Thanks: 207
Thanked 116 Times in 112 Posts
Likes: 683
Liked 202 Times in 175 Posts
Re: What is it with Olympus lens prices?

Loupe. Maybe a rare case of Customer loyalty being rewarded
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 20th December 2016
Loup Garou's Avatar
Loup Garou Loup Garou is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Royal Wootton Bassett
Posts: 667
Thanks: 79
Thanked 40 Times in 40 Posts
Likes: 50
Liked 48 Times in 41 Posts
Re: What is it with Olympus lens prices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iso View Post
Loupe. Maybe a rare case of Customer loyalty being rewarded
Maybe, but I have a feeling that certain items with certain dealers cost less at times due to some sort of arrangement with the supplier. As I mentioned above, I got an unexpected discount for the Olympus 7-14mm f2.8 PRO and Olympus 14-150mm f4-5.6 II but not for the Olympus 60mm f2.8 from GWC. Likewise, I have bought items from Bristol Cameras over the years with only certain items being cheaper than elsewhere. I have tried to find a pattern to it but there seems to be none.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 20th December 2016
Ross the fiddler's Avatar
Ross the fiddler Ross the fiddler is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Blue Mtns, NSW Australia
Posts: 11,503
Thanks: 1,801
Thanked 1,106 Times in 872 Posts
Likes: 4,069
Liked 1,299 Times in 797 Posts
Re: What is it with Olympus lens prices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loup Garou View Post
Maybe, but I have a feeling that certain items with certain dealers cost less at times due to some sort of arrangement with the supplier. As I mentioned above, I got an unexpected discount for the Olympus 7-14mm f2.8 PRO and Olympus 14-150mm f4-5.6 II but not for the Olympus 60mm f2.8 from GWC. Likewise, I have bought items from Bristol Cameras over the years with only certain items being cheaper than elsewhere. I have tried to find a pattern to it but there seems to be none.
I know that happens in Australia as a company such as Camera House buys wholesale from Olympus Australia at a discounted price because of the volume of purchase & then can pass on these savings to their own franchise Camera House stores as well others, such as Cambuy whom I have bought a number of things from at better than Camera House stores, so yes, it is possible the retailer could have bought it at a better price.
__________________
Ross
I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 21st December 2016
Loup Garou's Avatar
Loup Garou Loup Garou is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Royal Wootton Bassett
Posts: 667
Thanks: 79
Thanked 40 Times in 40 Posts
Likes: 50
Liked 48 Times in 41 Posts
Re: What is it with Olympus lens prices?

Yes. I have come across situations where item A is 10% or more cheaper in Shop X compared with Shop Y while the situation is revered with item B.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 21st December 2016
iso iso is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Kent
Posts: 1,638
Thanks: 207
Thanked 116 Times in 112 Posts
Likes: 683
Liked 202 Times in 175 Posts
Re: What is it with Olympus lens prices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loup Garou View Post
Yes. I have come across situations where item A is 10% or more cheaper in Shop X compared with Shop Y while the situation is revered with item B.
I think it's called 'competition' - the free market at work...
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (21st December 2016)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For sale Olympus 25mm F1.8 lens **as new** (inc. free Olympus Pro lens protection filter) Angus For sale or wanted small ads 3 11th February 2016 06:02 PM
For sale Olympus 75mm 1.8 lens with official lens hood, both mint and boxed FallOutBoy For sale or wanted small ads 6 9th January 2016 10:11 AM
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 and new lens UK prices Four Thirds User Articles from FourThirds-User.com 0 8th September 2009 11:50 AM
FL-50R prices benvendetta Flash 0 30th March 2009 11:56 AM
OM4 Prices Naughty Nigel The lounge 5 13th November 2008 10:54 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:14 PM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2017, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger