Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen-F

Olympus Pen-F The first Pen to integrate an electronic viewfinder

Old 2nd December 2016

Liked 991 Times in 602 Posts
Re: My new Pen F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bee View Post
I received mine yesterday Paul

First impressions ...... very positive except for one small niggle ..... the excellent quality EVF is a little small and does have somewhat of a tunnel view'. The last Olympus camera I had was an EM5 II and that EVF was simply wonderful. Anyway it's only a minor niggle for me as I will use it primarily for street type shots.

The build quality is very impressive and whilst the next point will be of no interest to many, to me it was important ...... this is the single digital ( non Leica ) interchangeable lens camera that comes close to my Leica rangefinder in terms of handling, style and feel

So I'm back in the 'Oly fold' .... Pen-F, 24f2, 17f1.8, 45f1.8 & 75f1.8

Simon
As a previous user of a RF, Simon, you'll know it's the only camera that allows a binocular view, one eye (usually the right) looking through the OVF and the other (left) wide open too, providing the ability to see the scene unfold in front of you before the subject matter enters 'your' frame. Listen to Joel Meyerowitz on YouTube, he explains it so well.

on flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
sdb123 (2nd December 2016)
Old 2nd December 2016

Liked 737 Times in 404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
As a previous user of a RF, Simon, you'll know it's the only camera that allows a binocular view, one eye (usually the right) looking through the OVF and the other (left) wide open too, providing the ability to see the scene unfold in front of you before the subject matter enters 'your' frame. Listen to Joel Meyerowitz on YouTube, he explains it so well.
...unless, like me, you're very left-eye dominant!

(Any excuse to name-drop but I went to a talk and book signing by Joel Myerowitz in London a while ago and I spoke to him about this exact issue. He didn't have any helpful tips, except trying to learn how to shoot with the other eye! I think you, like me, tend to use the rear screen a lot these days instead of the VF?)

------------------------------
Olympus E-M1ii x2: 7-14, 12-100, 40-150, 45, 60, 75, 300, 1.4tc.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
Old 2nd December 2016

Liked 39 Times in 30 Posts

The latest elements Elements 15 works ok with the with my Pen F in Raw. No problems at all.
Old 2nd December 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
...unless, like me, you're very left-eye dominant!

(Any excuse to name-drop but I went to a talk and book signing by Joel Myerowitz in London a while ago and I spoke to him about this exact issue. He didn't have any helpful tips, except trying to learn how to shoot with the other eye! I think you, like me, tend to use the rear screen a lot these days instead of the VF?)
One more opportunity offered
On the Leica, albeit mirrorless, it has a lousy live view using the Olympus VF2 or the over priced Leica version. (Same product apart from the name, plus an extra 200, or thereabouts!)
So I'm an OVF user only when using the ***LEICA*** no rear screen for me, other than chimping. I try to resist, but I'm a confirmed chimper. That's why I miss all those award winning street shots.

On the other hand, I believe it's Simon who uses the LCD, reading between the lines.

Edit: really envious you meeting Joel - 'who walks on water' - Meyerowitz. How cool would it be to go on a street course with him!!

on flickr
Old 2nd December 2016

Quote:
Edit: really envious you meeting Joel - 'who walks on water' - Meyerowitz. How cool would it be to go on a street course with him!!
He was charming, gracious and friendly with everyone.

He signed my copy of his 2-volume "Taking my time" and this will now have to be prized from my dead, cold fingers! "To Mark. Eyes Open!" is what he wrote.

He is clearly just a genuinely nice guy: in his lecture at the Photography Show a couple of years ago, Matt Stuart told the story of going for a photo walk with JM in London, about which he was understandably quite nervous. After a while, Matt saw this shot (which has subsequently become well known) and took it. JM caught up, saw what he'd taken, and then very politely asked him if he could also take the image!

https://www.mattstuart.com/photograp...-bond-street-1

sdb123 (2nd December 2016)
Old 2nd December 2016

Matt Stewart is another who walks on water in my mind. I recently purchased his book 'All that life can afford', marvellous images, and of course Matt Stewart is on record saying he found the work of Joel Meyerowitz inspirational and instructional - and it's easy to detect the similarities in vision, which of course can be traced back to Garry Winogrand who mentored Jm.

Definitely a good idea to purchase books than 'gear'. I'm going to put 'Taking my time' on my 'would like to receive' Christmas present list.

Edit: At 400 to 500 for the two volume box set, I'll need a real-life Farther Christmas to make this come good. Perhaps a nice letter to Lapland!

on flickr
Old 2nd December 2016

Liked 244 Times in 157 Posts

Quote:
One more opportunity offered

On the other hand, I believe it's Simon who uses the LCD, reading between the lines.
To be honest Steve, apart from the need to use the menus I plan to very rarely use the rear screen on the PEN-F , it was the EVF that I was referring to ... being a little disappointed by the apparent 'tunnel view' and small ( ish ) size compared to that on the EM5 II. I will shoot it as I have my film Leica .... no chimping for me either. I love the fact that I can turn it in to the body, thus revealing a faux leather surface to the exterior of the camera .... very film camera like and this is how I will use it 99% of the time. I'll shoot on the street either from the hip or very occasionally via the EVF and wait until I get home to review the images .... I'm happier working that way.

Simon

On another note Steve, I 'played' with the MP last night prior to packing it up and sending off to Red Dot..... guess what? ..... yep it's back in the shoulder bag and not a shipping box .... well for now at least, damned hard to let that one go even though there is a serious amount of potential cash value in it.
Old 2nd December 2016

Glad to hear common sense kicked in Simon, hold onto that MP. From the rarity aspect mentioned the value can only go in one direction. ^^^^

on flickr
Simon Bee (2nd December 2016)
Old 2nd December 2016

Quote:
Definitely a good idea to purchase books than 'gear'. I'm going to put 'Taking my time' on my 'would like to receive' Christmas present list.

Edit: At 400 to 500 for the two volume box set, I'll need a real-life Farther Christmas to make this come good. Perhaps a nice letter to Lapland!
Yes, I had got it on my Amazon wishlist thinking I'd never be able to justify one, when a couple of years ago an American seller advertised some at an equivalent of around 240. It triggered my camelcamelcamel alert and so I took a deep breath and invested.

Not exactly cheap even at that, but I knew it would probably never be available new at that price again, and that I'd be safe via Amazon if it turned out to be a scam (which it wasn't).

Old 2nd December 2016

I'd call it an investment; if you wished to sell I'm fairly certain you could see a return, if not a profit. But annotated as it is by Joel, it's almost priceless to you; I'm sure it won't be going anywhere soon.

on flickr
Old 2nd December 2016

Liked 3,030 Times in 1,053 Posts

Wow - I was thinking I'd put the Meyerowitz book on my Christmas list - but 400+ is taking the p1ss.
Old 2nd December 2016

You could always sell the Pen F to partly fund it, Paul !

Edit:

on flickr
Old 2nd December 2016

Liked 244 Times in 157 Posts

Spent the last one hour configuring some basic settings and getting to know the camera...... DAMN this is one fine tool

OK, after 20 minutes or so the viewfinder no longer feels 'tunnelled' , I have even set the EVF to 'style 2' which actually makes the image slightly smaller so as to display general setting info below it rather than in it, quickly got used to its size and it's no longer an issue.

Handling is sublime, everything just falls to hand .... perfect.

Exposure comp dial ..... I know some have moaned its too stiff but to me it has the perfect resistance, if its effortless to move it's too easy to do so without realising IMO. Yes you'll get a comp warning in the EVF or on the screen but its all to easy to overlook this, I prefer to 'know' I have set it so well done Olympus ... one for adding the dial in the first place and two for giving it real resistance.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the B&W jpeg options, I'm a Tri-X guy at heart so this is just great IMO, bloody great output too. B&W contrast filters built in .... excellent, I normally shoot with a yellow filter when using my Leica/Tri-X combo so a big thumbs-up from me. I can see me just leaving this camera in B&W mode, well at least 95% of the time. Did I say I LOVE the B&W output

This is the best 'retro' digital camera I have ever seen let alone owned ..... stylish beyond compare, attention to detail is 'Out of the top drawer', materials used are first rate, as is the assembly and overall finish. Your 'average Joe' would no doubt think us mad for spending a grand on such a tiny camera ( yet think nothing of dropping 600 on the latest iPhone ) but then again we are not your average Joe are we. This beauty really is a beast

Couple of other points ......

The genuine 'half case' is very nice too, really adds another level of retro to the camera and is very practical. I have attached an existing strap that I love ... 'Annie Barton 1972 Carrera' ( Black leather with red detailing ) which rounds off 'the look' ....... http://www.reddotcameras.co.uk/annie...era-black.html

Not directly related to the body but still worth knowing ....I was not able to get the dedicated hood for the black 12mm F2 at the time of purchase but was able to purchase the 17mm hood to go with that lens. I have found the 17mm hood fits the 12mm perfectly and there is no vignetting either, looks nicer IMO too. So the 17mm hood is on the 12mm and the 17mm lens now has one of those Chinese round 'Vented' hoods instead which actually really does make the PEN-F look like a rangefinder.

Close-ups ..... only tried this with the 12mm lens so far ......
...... I have a very high quality 'Leica Elpro 4' close up lens which was designed for their SLR system, it has a 55mm rear male thread which via stepping rings can be attached to all the lens I have including the 75mm F1.8 ( 58-55 step down ring needed ) ... quick test with it and the 12mm got me incredibly close to my TV R.C. buttons and zoomed right in the detail is more than impressive so looks like I will not need or want a macro lens.

All in all this is one great looking camera that importantly can deliver too.

Simon
drmarkf (3rd December 2016), Ross the fiddler (2nd December 2016), sdb123 (2nd December 2016), yorky (5th December 2016)
Old 2nd December 2016

Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts

It's certainly sounding positive so far Simon.

My Pen-F should be with me next week...I too am tempted to almost set & forget on Mono once I've found a look I like. I have the 17mm, 45mm & 75mm lenses and will get the 12mm soon enough...can't wait!
Old 2nd December 2016

Liked 3,030 Times in 1,053 Posts

You've definitely whetted my appetite Simon. Can't wait to get my hands on mine. It's sitting at home awaiting my return. That's a great tip on the lens hood. I have hoods for both my 17 and 12 and I hate the one for the 12 - it's big and, being square, is ugly (IMHO). The 17mm one is nice and compact. I'll probably buy another one for the 12.