Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen-F

Olympus Pen-F The first Pen to integrate an electronic viewfinder

Old 28th February 2016

Liked 588 Times in 261 Posts
Re: My new Pen F

A really good first collection.

Hope that you enjoy the camera.
Old 28th February 2016

Thanked 1,004 Times in 839 Posts
Liked 757 Times in 443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
I often use FastStone as a JPEG viewer, but doesn't it just show the embedded JPEG image when 'viewing' raw files, rather than do a full conversion?

Jim
In the "settings" under "RAW" there is an option to ""View RAW files in:" which can be set to "Embedded Preview","Half Size" or Actual Size".

If "Actual Size" is selected both the "preview" (in the bottom left hand corner) and the selected image you want to work on are shown as images converted from the actual raw data.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 1st March 2016

Liked 48 Times in 41 Posts

My new Pen F arrived today. I barely had time to check that everything was as ordered because I had to get ready for the overnight shift. Free day tomorrow and so I'll charge the battery and play with it.

Build quality is excellent. The camera seemed slightly larger than I expected, but that is fine. Has a real old-fashioned rangefinder style look.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Peter_Hartland (2nd March 2016)
Old 8th August 2016

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hi Guys!,

I hope you are all enjoying the Pen F as much as I am? Lovely camera and great fun too!

However one issue I am not sure about is the Creative Settings, I was under the impression that you can creative your own set of pre-sets and save the setting to access again?? In the main menu it looks like you can do this but I have tried saving them but they are never there when I access them again and the colour creator has been reset! Even using the top dial to access CR1 or CR2 does not retrieve them. The setting was not saved.

Or have I misunderstood this function?? The most likely answer!

Can anyone help or point me at a review tutorial on the internet showing me how to do it?

By the way has anyone found their Pen F viewfinder shutting down in hot weather? I found this constantly happening in Greece last month but so far it has never happened (yet) in the UK!

Thanks

Dave
Old 14th October 2016

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy59 View Post
Hi Guys!,

I hope you are all enjoying the Pen F as much as I am? Lovely camera and great fun too!

However one issue I am not sure about is the Creative Settings, I was under the impression that you can creative your own set of pre-sets and save the setting to access again?? In the main menu it looks like you can do this but I have tried saving them but they are never there when I access them again and the colour creator has been reset! Even using the top dial to access CR1 or CR2 does not retrieve them. The setting was not saved.

Or have I misunderstood this function?? The most likely answer!

Can anyone help or point me at a review tutorial on the internet showing me how to do it?

By the way has anyone found their Pen F viewfinder shutting down in hot weather? I found this constantly happening in Greece last month but so far it has never happened (yet) in the UK!

Thanks

Dave
Dave,
When the viewfinder shuts down, does the screen then show the scene that you were composing? I had that problem when trying the camera when the sun was in my back around the 5 o'clock position. The eye detection sensor gets fooled by the sunlight hitting it and thinks your eye is no longer there.

Sent from my thl 4000
Old 14th October 2016

Liked 2,788 Times in 979 Posts

A colleague of mine has just bought one and I played with it the other night. It's very nice indeed. A very quality feel to it. A quick comparison to the E-M1 reveals that noise at ISO 1600 is slightly better and the extra resolutuon may not be much but it is noticeable.

Just one question for you Pen F owners... I use exp comp a lot and found the dedicated dial to hard too turn with the camera to the eye. No problem I thought, I'll just assign it to the rear dial - but it seems they've removed the option to set exp comp to the dials. Is this correct or am I missing something?

I have to say this would be a deal breaker to me if so.
Old 15th October 2016

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookmore View Post
Dave,
When the viewfinder shuts down, does the screen then show the scene that you were composing? I had that problem when trying the camera when the sun was in my back around the 5 o'clock position. The eye detection sensor gets fooled by the sunlight hitting it and thinks your eye is no longer there.

Sent from my thl 4000
Thanks for the reply - not really it just turns itself off and even pressing the shutter button to reactivate the camera with your eye on the view finder it refuses to work. The only solution is to turn the camera off and start again and then it either repeats the process or works.

However I have since found it sometimes happens if I change lens and the contacts are not good.

At a loss really as it is so random!

Still love the camera!
Old 15th October 2016

Liked 696 Times in 381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy59 View Post
However I have since found it sometimes happens if I change lens and the contacts are not good.
You should give the camera and all your lens electrical contacts a bit of a rub with a clean, lint-free dry cloth, making sure there's absolutely no tarnish or 'foreign substances' around.

Some years ago I had the dreaded occasional OMD freeze-up problem that I traced to the contacts on a 4/3-m4/3 adapter being contaminated with a trace of some clear, sticky substance. I cleaned the contacts throughout my whole system and had no more problems.

Worth a try.

------------------------------
Olympus E-M1ii x2: 7-14, 12-100, 40-150, 45, 60, 75, 300, 1.4tc.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
Old 15th October 2016

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
You should give the camera and all your lens electrical contrasts a bit of a rub with a clean, lint-free dry cloth, making sure there's absolutely no tarnish or 'foreign substances' around

Worth a try.
I wouldn't expect a freeze on cameras in that price range. At the most an error message pointing to what went wrong if the lens communication was in trouble.

See I'm trying to find reasons NOT to buy this nice PEN F for myself. I know I don't need it but gosh I do *want* it :-)

Sent from my thl 4000
Old 15th October 2016

Liked 696 Times in 381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookmore View Post
I wouldn't expect a freeze on cameras in that price range. At the most an error message pointing to what went wrong if the lens communication was in trouble.
Well at least you won't have to worry about temptation to buy a Leica M9: they had all sorts of trouble with locking up when they were first introduced, and it was only solved (I believe) by several firmware updates!

------------------------------
Olympus E-M1ii x2: 7-14, 12-100, 40-150, 45, 60, 75, 300, 1.4tc.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
The Following User Says Thank You to drmarkf For This Useful Post:
lookmore (15th October 2016)
Old 15th October 2016

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Good to know. Not that the M9 was on my wish list but...

Sent from my thl 4000
drmarkf (15th October 2016)
Old 2nd December 2016

Well, I sold my E-M5ii and my old E-M5 which went a long way to covering the cost of the Pen F deals that were on over the "Black Friday" weekend. So, there's a silver Pen plus black 17/1.8 waiting for me when I return home this weekend. I'll then have two 17s, so watch out for an unused 17 coming up on the for sale board!

Really looking forward to it - it will go well with my small primes leaving the E-M1 as the zooms body.

I'm even planning on trying "the knob". I'm a pretty committed raw shooter so it'll be interesting to see if I stick with it.
Ross the fiddler (2nd December 2016)
Old 2nd December 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post

Just one question for you Pen F owners... I use exp comp a lot and found the dedicated dial to hard too turn with the camera to the eye. No problem I thought, I'll just assign it to the rear dial - but it seems they've removed the option to set exp comp to the dials. Is this correct or am I missing something?
I figured out how to do this. The key thing is first to assign the dedicated exposure compensation dial to flash compensation - then you can assign one of the regular wheels to exposure compensation.
The Following User Says Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
OM USer (2nd December 2016)
Ross the fiddler (2nd December 2016)
Old 2nd December 2016

Liked 239 Times in 153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Well, I sold my E-M5ii and my old E-M5 which went a long way to covering the cost of the Pen F deals that were on over the "Black Friday" weekend. So, there's a silver Pen plus black 17/1.8 waiting for me when I return home this weekend. I'll then have two 17s, so watch out for an unused 17 coming up on the for sale board!

Really looking forward to it - it will go well with my small primes leaving the E-M1 as the zooms body.

I'm even planning on trying "the knob". I'm a pretty committed raw shooter so it'll be interesting to see if I stick with it.
I received mine yesterday Paul

First impressions ...... very positive except for one small niggle ..... the excellent quality EVF is a little small and does have somewhat of a tunnel view'. The last Olympus camera I had was an EM5 II and that EVF was simply wonderful. Anyway it's only a minor niggle for me as I will use it primarily for street type shots.

The build quality is very impressive and whilst the next point will be of no interest to many, to me it was important ...... this is the single digital ( non Leica ) interchangeable lens camera that comes close to my Leica rangefinder in terms of handling, style and feel

So I'm back in the 'Oly fold' .... Pen-F, 24f2, 17f1.8, 45f1.8 & 75f1.8

Simon
Old 2nd December 2016

Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts

AFAIK the EVF is the same as the one used in the E-M10 MKII. It's a shame that it's not the same as the E-M5 MKII as that's superb. I'm sure there was a design reason for it...still pretty useable though, nowhere near as tunnel vision-like as the GX7/GX80.