Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion

Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion Want to discuss the really early days of digital and even film - here is the place for you.

Old 11th April 2016

Liked 877 Times in 598 Posts
Re: Olympus OM2 SP Firing Blanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
I believe this is (at least partly) a myth, unfortunately; switching to B or the mechanical 1/60 settings does not disconnect the battery. I verified this by measuring the current drain of my 2SP in those and other settings and it was identical in all of them. What it does do however is stop the meter switching on when the shutter release is depressed which may reduce consumption if the camera is in a bag and the button is pressed slightly by external pressures. I once managed to flatten the batteries in my Mamiya 6MF by forgetting to switch it off before putting it back in its rather compact bag. The 6MF's meter uses LEDs which are much juicier than LCDs and it didn't take long for the batteries to die.
I measured the current drain in my OM4Ti and there was a clear difference in the current drain depending on whether the shutter was set to a mechanical speed, and also whether Auto Exposure or Manual was selected.

I will have to check the OM2 SP now it has come back.

But whatever the current drain the capacity of cells in cameras is very limited, so even a leakage current of just 1 A will quickly run them down.

(Duracell claim a capacity of 160 mAh for their 3 Volt 1/3 N lithium camera batteries.)

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 11th April 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
I misread the title, thought the camera had undergone the 'snip' procedure.

It had much the same effect!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 12th April 2016

Liked 159 Times in 113 Posts

The 4Ti has a different circuit board which was intended to solve the battery drain issue. Later OM-4s had the same board I believe. I haven't measured my OM-4Ti; when you measured yours Nigel was the meter active or was it in "standby"?

Incidentally lithium (and alkaline) batteries are not recommended for electronic OMs as their discharge characteristics mean the voltage drops sooner than the recommended silver oxide cells.
Old 12th April 2016

Quote:
The 4Ti has a different circuit board which was intended to solve the battery drain issue. Later OM-4s had the same board I believe. I haven't measured my OM-4Ti; when you measured yours Nigel was the meter active or was it in "standby"?

Incidentally lithium (and alkaline) batteries are not recommended for electronic OMs as their discharge characteristics mean the voltage drops sooner than the recommended silver oxide cells.
I made sure the meter was 'off' before I took any measurements, but I cannot remember any details. Rather than speculate any further I will take some fresh readings from the OM4Ti and OM2 SP.

You make a good point about the use of silver oxide cells, as they have greater capacity (200 mA/Hr) and slightly higher terminal voltage (1.55 Volts), but sourcing them nowadays is more difficult.

Oddly enough, the meter backlight now works properly on the OM2 SP with its new battery, which it never did when using lithium cells. I have the same problem on the OM4 Ti.

I will have a look for some silver oxide cells.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 12th April 2016

Liked 913 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:

If you complained loudly enough at the Olympus stand at a photo show they'd replace the circuit board in an early copy. And then lose the body in moving the service department from Honduras Street to Hounslow so you have to threaten them with legal action if they can't find it. And of course the revised circuit board didn't stop it dieing on a regular basis, usually alternating with shutter replacements.

Tags
om2sp, skipped frames