Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion

Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion Want to discuss the really early days of digital and even film - here is the place for you.

Old 12th February 2016

Liked 410 Times in 252 Posts
Re: Olympus OM2 SP Firing Blanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageryone View Post
Like David M, It could be in the winder mechanism, and taking the base plate off allows you to see the mechanism, even a small bit of fluff can cause trouble, unfortunately, if stored a long time, so can rust.
It could also be the shutter sticking after it's long rest, and should improve with use.
I had similar issues with my OM 20 when I got it - and also failing to wind on after firing the shutter. When I took off the base plate I found that the grease that had been used (probably when the camera was assembled!) had turned to powder and things were sticking - a very gentle clean and a bit of WD40 got everything moving again and I am now in the process of sticking a film through it to see how it goes.

Cheers,

Ralph.
The Following User Liked This Post:
alfbranch (14th February 2016)
Old 14th February 2016

Liked 1,570 Times in 607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Harwood View Post
I had similar issues with my OM 20 when I got it - and also failing to wind on after firing the shutter. When I took off the base plate I found that the grease that had been used (probably when the camera was assembled!) had turned to powder and things were sticking - a very gentle clean and a bit of WD40 got everything moving again and I am now in the process of sticking a film through it to see how it goes.

Cheers,

Ralph.
Well worth a try at least.
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Old 14th February 2016

Liked 1,102 Times in 756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
A cheap but inconvenient work around when the shutter fails to fire after winding on would be to tension the film by gently turning the rewind knob then pushing in and holding the 'R' button as you wind on again - essentially the procedure for making multiple exposures.

The long term solution is of course to have a proper service and repair. The quote from Luton Cameras may seem a little steep in relation to the value of the camera, but it is in nice condition and you know it has been used carefully. Sure, you could get a replacement for less on ebay, but you might be buying a piece of junk. Good luck.
Thank you all for your suggestions.

John's suggestion regarding the Rewind button seems to be a sound one, but unless you consciously wind on and remember doing so it would be very easy to make unintentional double exposures!

I am also painfully aware that buying another used OM camera (especially from evilBay) provides no guarantee of trouble free photography! None of those that I have seen for sale recently have been in particularly good condition; even those described as Mint++!

I bought the OM2-Sp from Ffordes in 1995 when they were still based in Southend. It was in as-new condition then, and has lived under a cover on top of my microscope for the past twenty years, so it has barely been used.

Luton Cameras' repair charge may seem out of proportion to the value of the camera, but given its condition I feel it is probably worthwhile as I would then have a superb camera. It has always been a 'battery eater', but I understand Luton Cameras can replace the circuit board with a later type to help reduce this problem.

I shall have a look under the bottom plate for my own satisfaction, but unless it is a easy fix I expect to have the camera boxed up and on its way to Luton some time this week.

Yet another option would be to get my second, brand new OM4-Ti out of its box, but I have resisted that temptation so far, and I would hate to spoil it. If it was an OM3-Ti it might be worth something.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 15th February 2016

Liked 969 Times in 588 Posts

I read on another forum that mechanical cameras need to be exercised now and again, eg monthly for the shutter, to keep the moving parts lubricated. Over a period of ten years or so there's a risk of grease separating into its constituent parts and thus loosing its effectiveness.

Aperture blades should be parked in the wide open position to minimise evaporation and possible contamination of the glass- especially if the lens is stored in a warm location, or exposed to sunlight.

on flickr
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ricoh For This Useful Post:
Naughty Nigel (15th February 2016), OM USer (15th February 2016)
Old 4th April 2016

Update.

I recived an email from Luton Camers this afternoon advising that repairs to the OM2 Sp have been complted. They report as follows:

Quote:
Completely dismantled camera, cleaned all parts, supplied and fitted new main circuit board as original was old model and causing excess [battery] consumption, cleaned shutter reset tension & base speed, supplied and fitted new light seals and mirror dampeners, checked mirror mechanism, cleaned checked adjusted and re-lubricated transport system, check circuit calibration, reassembled and tested to specification.
The body was in excellent condition so it should be like a new camera now. I look forward to seeing it again and running some film through.

I am also pleased (and relieved) that they seem to have plenty of parts for what is quite an old camera.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 4th April 2016

Liked 1,172 Times in 725 Posts

Given the 2SP and 4 reputation for eating circuit boards I'm surprised new ones are still available.

The Grumpy Snapper blog.
Old 5th April 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Given the 2SP and 4 reputation for eating circuit boards I'm surprised new ones are still available.
Me too. Perhaps this lucrative business helps to keep Olympus afloat?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 5th April 2016
Administrator

Thanked 2,806 Times in 2,161 Posts
Liked 3,365 Times in 1,582 Posts

Glad to hear you've had it repaired, Nigel, I hope it gives you many years service.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (5th April 2016)
Old 5th April 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Glad to hear you've had it repaired, Nigel, I hope it gives you many years service.
The total cost was 135 + VAT, which seems a lot of money to repair an old camera, but I know it will be very well used. Our son is using it for his 35 mm work at university as the uni cameras (Canons I believe) are very basic and much more limited in their ability.

Had I bought another used camera the chances are it would have been in no better condition than my OM2 Sp, which at least looks almost like new externally.

I asked Luton Cameras about the supply of spares for OM series cameras (thinking of my OM4 Ti's). They advised that they have plenty for now, and have plenty of work repairing even older Olympus cameras (OM1's, OM2's), etc. thanks to the renewed interest in film!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 5th April 2016

Liked 1,172 Times in 725 Posts

My OM kit would probably keep their service department busy for a month or so.

The Grumpy Snapper blog.
Old 5th April 2016

Liked 189 Times in 131 Posts

I was thinking the bill might be rather higher than that considering the work done! Good news, I hope it keeps going many a year. My 2SP had the nicest shutter sound of any of my OMs including the 4Ti. Not sure why but it sounded softer and smoother than the others.

The lack of an on-off switch was an advantage inasmuch as the camera was always ready for instant use, unless the batteries had gone flat in the meantime - I never remembered to take out the batteries when I wasn't using it though so needed to keep plenty of spares. Now I don't remember to charge my E-M5 when I've used it for a day or two .
Old 6th April 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
The lack of an on-off switch was an advantage inasmuch as the camera was always ready for instant use, unless the batteries had gone flat in the meantime - I never remembered to take out the batteries when I wasn't using it though so needed to keep plenty of spares. Now I don't remember to charge my E-M5 when I've used it for a day or two .
The OM2 Spot Programme did have a reputation for eating batteries. Hopefully this will be better now.

Thankfully, in common with many other OM series cameras, battery life can be significantly improved by setting the camera to the B or mechanical 1/60 second settings (marked in red) when the camera isn't being used.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
Simon Bee (7th April 2016)
Old 7th April 2016

Liked 241 Times in 154 Posts

Great to hear it's back up and running Nigel.

I believe the cost of the service/repair was/is very fair given the level of work they carried out, and IMO was well worth spending on what is after all a very fine camera. It should now serve you well for many years to come.

I find Luton Cameras excellent, they serviced my Zuiko 100 F2.0 last year, they fully stripped down the lens, removed old grease etc. applied new, cleaned all the elements, rebuilt the lens, adjusted it, etc. etc. and all for about 80.00 ..... a very good price

Kind regards, Simon
Old 7th April 2016

Liked 189 Times in 131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
battery life can be significantly improved by setting the camera to the B or mechanical 1/60 second settings (marked in red) when the camera isn't being used.
I believe this is (at least partly) a myth, unfortunately; switching to B or the mechanical 1/60 settings does not disconnect the battery. I verified this by measuring the current drain of my 2SP in those and other settings and it was identical in all of them. What it does do however is stop the meter switching on when the shutter release is depressed which may reduce consumption if the camera is in a bag and the button is pressed slightly by external pressures. I once managed to flatten the batteries in my Mamiya 6MF by forgetting to switch it off before putting it back in its rather compact bag. The 6MF's meter uses LEDs which are much juicier than LCDs and it didn't take long for the batteries to die.
Old 7th April 2016

Liked 969 Times in 588 Posts

I misread the title, thought the camera had undergone the 'snip' procedure.

on flickr

Tags
om2sp, skipped frames