Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 6th February 2016

Liked 38 Times in 13 Posts
What bits to buy?

After much prevarication and looking for the best price on an EM-1 with 12-40mm, financial prudence took over and I got a used EM-5 with 12-50mm instead. I picked up a grip already, which makes it a much more comfortable thing to hold. So far so good, but the eyecup is missing the rubber, so I need one of those, and there was no strap, and I'll need more batteries... So which bits to buy?

straps - anyone use one of those? Any other recommendations?
  • My trip will involve a fair bit of wildlife, so a long lens is also on the shopping list. I was thinking about the 75-300mm, but there's also the Panasonic 100-300mm and 45-200mm. Any thoughts on those?
  • I've got a couple of 4/3 lenses still - how usable are they on the EM-5? I don't mind if the focus is a bit slow, as it would likely be tripod work anyway. Are there any decent 3rd party adapters, or is it a case of just getting the MMF-3?
  • Also got some OM lenses - worth getting an adapter for them too? Saw this one on ebay.

• All kind words of wisdom gratefully received.

Cheers
    Mike
    Old 6th February 2016

Liked 111 Times in 56 Posts
    Send a message via ICQ to Melaka
    Re: What bits to buy?

FWIW here are a few thoughts.

Eye cups
    are largely a matter of personal preference. A spare can be useful as they are easily dislodged.

Batteries I have several Expro and found them to be perfectly satisfactory. I also have an Expro charger which runs off mains or 12v. Three BLN 1 batteries will fit in one of those plastic cases you can get for AA or AAA batteries.

Straps Again largely a matter of personal choice. I have the Optech shown above but rarely use it unless I have a heavy (50-200+EC14) lens on the EM1. For most purposes the Optech wrist strap suits me better.

Long lens I've had all three but my preference would be the 100-300 depending a bit on what you want to photograph. IQ is much the same for all three.

Old lenses No experience with the EM5 so I'll leave that to others.

EM1, EM5 II
    Old 6th February 2016

Thanks for that David - is there anything particular that makes you favour the 100-300?

Mike
    Old 7th February 2016

Liked 557 Times in 332 Posts

I have the Expro double charger and batteries, no problems with either.
    Have never used a strap, only a wrist strap, even with the E-3 and 50-200mm on.
    Old 7th February 2016

Liked 100 Times in 51 Posts

The MMF-1, MMF-2 and MMF-3 all do the same job, but:-

MMF-1 is not weather sealed but more robust due to metal construction;

MMF-2 is not weather sealed and has a comosite barrel;

MMF-3 is weather sealed and has a composite barrel.

I doubt it is an issue but I would trust the MMF-1 more with heavier lenses.
    Old 7th February 2016

Liked 111 Times in 56 Posts
    Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snag2000 View Post
    Thanks for that David - is there anything particular that makes you favour the 100-300?

Mike
    I prefer the ergonomics of Panasonic lenses to their Olympus equivalents but that's a subjective view. Also the 100-300 is slightly faster than the 75-300. I sold the 45-200 some while ago as I found no real use for it, especially after getting the 40-150/2.8. I still have the other two as backup although I rarely use them. I mainly use the 50-200+EC14 if I need a long lens. I shall be looking closely at the 100-400 and 300/4 when they become available.

EM1, EM5 II
    Old 7th February 2016

Liked 62 Times in 39 Posts

I know this is an Olympus UK sponsored site, but my last pair of eyecups came from Japan, via ebay, for a bit under 7 each delivered.
    Also invest in some high quality black insulating tape; a short length wrapped a couple of turns round the bottom bar of the eyecup, and then stuck to the back of the camera behind the screen, will help to prevent losing it.

Expro batteries are my preferred choice for after market ones. They don't seem to last quite as long as the originals, but are appreciably cheaper and will charge in an Olympus charger. They do an after market dual charger, with interchangeable plates in case you have two battery systems on the go. I've just had a spot of bother with delivery of some stuff from them; not their fault, down to courier and Royal Mail, but their after sales service couldn't be faulted.

For a strap, since it's such a lightweight camera, I use one of the cheap nasty 10mm black woven tape ones. The type with the little metal clips at each end. N.B. The clips aren't very strong and will open out after a while, possibly letting the camera escape. I junked the clips and threaded the tape directly through the triangular rings on the camera. It means it's not quickly detachable, but is small, light and secure.

See above for m4/3-4/3 adaptors, but also consider the Panasonic DMW-MA1, which is basically the same, but also not weatherproof.

The nearest I have to a home page.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
    They're Watching You!
    Old 7th February 2016

Thanks all. Think I'll go with Expro batteries and see what I find for the strap and eyecup. I'll have to have a search for the 4/3 adapters and see who's selling them.

I think I'll maybe hire the Olympus lens and see how I get on with it - there's not too much difference in price between that and the Panasonic.

Hopefully I'll start posting some pictures soon - feel like I've barely taken any in months, and certainly nothing worth sharing.

Thanks again,
    Mike
    Old 7th February 2016

Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts

From my experience with the 4/3 to m4/3 adaptors, I would stay with either a Olympus or the Panasonic one.

I have found that some 4/3 Lens will work perfectly with a third party (Cheap Chinese) adaptor while others lens just refuse to work correctly. (Usually auto focus does not work)

i.e. I had a cheap adaptor which worked perfectly with my 4/3 9-18 lens on my OM-D E-M1 but the 50mm Macro refused to work.

Dave

P.S I have some Grey & While Ex-pro batteries and they work fine, except they do not seem to take as many shots and suffer more in the cold. (I charge then on the Olympus charger)
    Old 7th February 2016

I'll stay away from the cheap 4/3 adapter then. I'm hoping a cheap OM one will be fine though - there's not really anything there to go wrong.

Mike
    Old 7th February 2016

Liked 770 Times in 179 Posts

I have Op-Tech straps on all my cameras.
    You can never go wrong with a few spare batteries. The spares I use are the Expro brand as well.
    A cable release is another "must have" in my camera bag

Mike
    Old 8th February 2016

Liked 238 Times in 116 Posts

Mike,
    I recommend you get an HLD-6 grip (at least the landscape part of it) - especially if you plan to use heavier or 4/3 lenses. It greatly improves the handling. If you get both parts of the grip you'll also be able to have 2 batteries 'on the go'.

As a spectacle wearer I also found the larger EP-11 eyecup to be preferable - it is deeper than the standard unit and reduces stray reflections.

You also mentioned choice of telephoto lens. The Panasonic 100-300 is faster (f5.6 at the long end vs f6.7 for the Oly 75-300). General opinion seems to be that the Oly is sharper at the long end - if you've got enough light to use it.

I have a Pan 100-300 which is pretty much unused since I got a 40-150 f2.8 some 15 months ago. The 100-300 is in excellent condition and has had a Hoya Pro1 filter attached since new. Also I have the Roesch tripod collar for this lens. My intention has been to PX these when I next purchase a new lens or body - but if you are interested in buying it please let me know.
    Old 8th February 2016

Liked 770 Times in 179 Posts

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwyver View Post
    Mike,
    You also mentioned choice of telephoto lens. The Panasonic 100-300 is faster (f5.6 at the long end vs f6.7 for the Oly 75-300). General opinion seems to be that the Oly is sharper at the long end - if you've got enough light to use it.
    I certainly didn't find this to be the case.
    Having tried both, IMHO I find the Lumix to be far better all round

Mike
    The Following User Liked This Post:
    Loup Garou (10th February 2016)
    Old 10th February 2016

Chris, thanks for the offer I may well be interested. I've not handled either lens and don't know much other than what I've read online (where opinions on them seems largely to be mutually contradictory, or at least fairly subjective).

The larger max aperture of the Panasonic is a draw (6.7 seems a bit too slow...) but the apparently (from what I've read online) better build quality and more compact size of the Olympus is also a draw. But like I say, I've not even seen either lens in the flesh, so somewhat unsure what to go for.

It will probably come down to price and timing as much as anything but feel free to PM with the sort of price you'd be looking for.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Old 10th February 2016

Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstphoto View Post
    I certainly didn't find this to be the case.
    Having tried both, IMHO I find the Lumix to be far better all round

Mike
    When I wanted a long telephoto zoom, I had the same dilemma but was already leaning towards the faster Panasonic G Vario. The dealer that I discussed this with advised me off the record to go for the Panasonic. It is certainly an excellent lens.
    The Following User Liked This Post:
    mstphoto (10th February 2016)