Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > Flash

Flash FL-related discussions can be found here.

Old 19th December 2015

Liked 48 Times in 41 Posts
Second Curtain without pre-flash?

Is there any effective way of disabling the pre-flash in second-curtain flash (Slow 2 setting) in the OM D cameras?
The Following User Liked This Post:
raichea (22nd December 2015)
Old 19th December 2015
Administrator

Liked 962 Times in 585 Posts
Re: Second Curtain without pre-flash?

Not that I know of, with the small attachable "command units"

For anything such as 2nd curtain flash, I use an FL-36R or FL-50R in manual mode.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Graham_of_Rainham For This Useful Post:
Loup Garou (19th December 2015), raichea (22nd December 2015)
Old 19th December 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
For anything such as 2nd curtain flash, I use an FL-36R or FL-50R in manual mode.
No, I did mean with the big guns. I have a Nissin i40 and Olympus FL600R; the latter is undergoing 'service' at present but I am assured that it will be fully repaired and returned soon.

But the problem is that even in those flash units the actual setting of Slow Synchro, Second Curtain etc is through the camera. I have looked but could not find any facility for disabling the pre-flash for the "Slow 2" setting on either OM-D EM5. Even if it was possible, I suppose the camera will then need some other means to meter the exposure values (like you have said in the other forum), perhaps an infra-red beam or similar?
Old 19th December 2015
Administrator

Liked 962 Times in 585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loup Garou View Post
No, I did mean with the big guns. I have a Nissin i40 and Olympus FL600R; the latter is undergoing 'service' at present but I am assured that it will be fully repaired and returned soon.

But the problem is that even in those flash units the actual setting of Slow Synchro, Second Curtain etc is through the camera. I have looked but could not find any facility for disabling the pre-flash for the "Slow 2" setting on either OM-D EM5. Even if it was possible, I suppose the camera will then need some other means to meter the exposure values (like you have said in the other forum), perhaps an infra-red beam or similar?
I do not know of any way to stop pre-flash from the camera.

I just set the gun to manual and then only get the one flash at the end of the exposure.

If you leave it on TTL, then the pre-flash is used by the system to set the right exposure level of the flash.

The other way to get a good exposure is to let the sensor on the gun do the level setting by having it in AUTO mode. It's the TTL that causes the Pre-Flash.

Have fun

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following User Says Thank You to Graham_of_Rainham For This Useful Post:
Loup Garou (19th December 2015)
Old 19th December 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
The other way to get a good exposure is to let the sensor on the gun do the level setting by having it in AUTO mode. It's the TTL that causes the Pre-Flash.

Have fun
Great idea, thanks. I'll try it as soon as my FL600R is back. It has a sensor and a true Auto mode. The Nissin i40 is a great flash but it has no light measuring sensor and its "Auto" mode is really a basic TTL function.

Update: You're right! I also have an old Metz 54 MZ4i digital flash that belonged to my wife's Leica but I fitted it with a SCA 3202 M7.1 adapter to make it compatible with the OMDs. This flash has its own sensor and in the Auto mode and Second Curtain setting, it emits no pre-flash. The only thing is that the flash's meter tends to set a more powerful output than TTL and so it is usually necessary to step down its EV by 1/3 to avoid overexposing the foreground subjects.

I tried the same thing on the Nissin i40's 'auto' mode and as expected there was a pre-flash. The Nissin has no light sensor.