Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion

Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion Want to discuss the really early days of digital and even film - here is the place for you.

Old 12th January 2016

Liked 1,029 Times in 627 Posts
Re: B&W films for street photography - my daughter's latest A level project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
There is an element of truth in the concept that limiting a good photographer to just one film will encourage them to be more selective, think more about what they are doing and, ultimately, become a better photographer. However, limit a bad photographer to just one film and they will still shoot 36 frames of cr*p. What's the quickest way a bad photographer can improve? By practicing with unlimited frames using digital, but (most importantly) using the benefit of instant review (okay, chimping) to analyse what worked, what didn't and what needs to be improved.
I see your point John. Having developed the preliminary skills beyond beginner with the hope of going onto the next stage of intermediate (of course there's no precise values to these terms) with the aid of digital up to that point, perhaps a period of film use only would help the photographer develop to the next level. Of course some of us who grew up using film, because thats all there was, treat the digital camera more or less in the same way as film, perhaps with an element of 'I'll give it a go just in case' thrown in. (Hands up if you do that - I have my hand raised!). Of course in this thread we branched off from the original purpose of discussing the choice of film to that of discussing the merits of using film, and whenever I see an article on film v digital it brings me back to this debate within my head.

By the way, how did your daughter get on with her assignment?

on flickr