Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion

Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion Want to discuss the really early days of digital and even film - here is the place for you.

Old 6th November 2015

Liked 867 Times in 264 Posts
Old toy with new toy.

After the arrival of my 12-40 this morning and it being a gloomy day thought I'd have a sort out of my camera storage cupboard.
Didn't know I still had this.

The full instruction book for my OM-1N.

I've still got the camera(or my daughter has) and it still works perfectly. I think I got it in 1977.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 6th November 2015

Liked 528 Times in 401 Posts
Re: Old toy with new toy.

1977 eh! Dedicated controls for focus, aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. The later OM40 even added a dedicated control for exposure compensation. And don't forget the lens release button in the correct place - on the lens. I wonder when we'll get them all back again rather than having 2 dials that you have to keep re-purposing?
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Old 6th November 2015

Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts

I picked up an OM1 from a charity shop recently. Lovely piece of work. No manual with it mind.
Had to rely on digital technology and download one instead. There's irony for you.
Old 6th November 2015

Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts

I've still got my OM-1N that I bought in about 1981 - a lucky chance as I noticed that it was advertised at a discount price scribbled on a blackboard outside of Argos as I walked along Bexleyheath Broadway

Haven't used in a while though

Cheers,

JohnGG
Old 7th November 2015

Liked 145 Times in 91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
I've still got the camera(or my daughter has) and it still works perfectly. I think I got it in 1977.
Ah the OM 1. Just another camera trying to cash in on the "retro" craze! ☺
Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
1977 eh! Dedicated controls for focus, aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. The later OM40 even added a dedicated control for exposure compensation. And don't forget the lens release button in the correct place - on the lens. I wonder when we'll get them all back again rather than having 2 dials that you have to keep re-purposing?
The OM 2 had the exposure compensation dial already.

Why oh why did they move the lens release button? Perhaps too many people coming from other brands couldn't cope with change. A real step backward. I hate suffering dumbing down due to other people's narrow mindedness.
Nearly as disappointing as when I discovered that the new OM-D TTL flash no longer meters "during the exposure" like on my old OMs. The stupid pre flash makes the cat blink so it's eyes are always closed.
The Following User Says Thank You to ian p For This Useful Post:
OM USer (9th November 2015)
Old 12th November 2015

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I've recently acquired a really nice OM-2n in black which is close to mint; I didn't get the manual so I downloaded it in PDF form and for very little money had it properly printed and bound into a paperback book form by a German company called ePubli. I know it's a bit old school but I do prefer a paper manual! I did cheat and have it printed in landscape A5 size so the pages are a readable size for my elderly eyes! I was so impressed by the end result that I had the OM-1 and OM-2 repair manuals done too as I find it easier to read in paper form than on screen.
These I had done at A4 size after cleaning up the pdf files to a degree as some of the pages were a little spotty ( guess the scanner used to create the pdf's was not 100%, but a couple of happy hours editing the defects saw a reasonable improvement.
Incidentally, I used NitroPDF to convert the pdf to images and then paint.net for the actual editing, then recompiled back to pdf using Nitro for printing.
The printed manuals were bound with what is called wire-o which is great as the pages lay flat when the book is open.
ePubli also allow you to upload images to use as front and back covers so the end result is very professional; I also had the option of cream paper which I thought quite appropriate for an old manual, and again the result is excellent.
Just to complete the set, I had the E-M5 manual done too with my own cover artwork and the cream paper...

Here's a couple of rubbish smartphone pics of the finished products, hope you like them!

The OM-D logo is an image and the font I used for OLYMPUS is Berthold Akzidenz Bold Extended, but I think Neue Helvetica 73 Bold Extended is pretty close too......
The Following User Liked This Post:
paullus (12th November 2015)
Old 12th November 2015

Liked 528 Times in 401 Posts

Excellent stuff Dave.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Old 12th November 2015

Liked 62 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian p View Post
Why oh why did they move the lens release button? Perhaps too many people coming from other brands couldn't cope with change. A real step backward. I hate suffering dumbing down due to other people's narrow mindedness.
Nearly as disappointing as when I discovered that the new OM-D TTL flash no longer meters "during the exposure" like on my old OMs. The stupid pre flash makes the cat blink so it's eyes are always closed.
Not having used an Olympus film camera I've never had the lens release on the lens & can't see why it is any better (or worse) than having it on the camera body. I certainly can't see it as 'dumbing down'.

WRT pre flash for TTL flash metering I've read it's a change brought about by the different relectivity of digital sensor to film. I certainly find the old style TTL flash preferable. A pre-flash complicates things like adding a slave flash for giving some light to a background. Yes the slave wouldn't be controlled by the TTL but frequently it wouldn't have enough power to need it anyway.
Old 12th November 2015

Liked 145 Times in 91 Posts

Regarding the lens release, it's ergonomic and fast. You can hold the camera any way you like, or even not even touch it and leave it on a table. Grab the lens and twist. As the button is already under your finger or part of your hand, and is pressed as you go to twist.
Old 12th November 2015

Liked 792 Times in 493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian p View Post
Regarding the lens release, it's ergonomic and fast. You can hold the camera any way you like, or even not even touch it and leave it on a table. Grab the lens and twist. As the button is already under your finger or part of your hand, and is pressed as you go to twist.
Exactly, if the body is on a tripod you can unmount the lens with one hand and slap another on with the other.

I threw out a shoe box full of OM manuals in one of my many moves. Now there's a demand for them.
Old 13th November 2015

Liked 796 Times in 549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrochemist View Post
WRT pre flash for TTL flash metering I've read it's a change brought about by the different relectivity of digital sensor to film.
So I gather, but I'm surprised that nobody has developed away of measuring light through the CCD sensor itself. Presumably it just isn't fast enough to control an electronic flashgun.

As far as I am aware, the Mamiya 645 Pro TL is the only medium format camera that meters flash through the lens, and does so independently of any metering prism that may or may not be fitted. Given that so many of these cameras were intended to be used with big Metz flashguns I find that rather surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrochemist View Post
I certainly find the old style TTL flash preferable. A pre-flash complicates things like adding a slave flash for giving some light to a background. Yes the slave wouldn't be controlled by the TTL but frequently it wouldn't have enough power to need it anyway.
The only way to use a flashgun slave with a digital camera is to use fully manual flash, which dispenses with the need for a pre-flash. I would say that if you were using multiple flashguns it would probably be best to use manual flash anyway, or to set the slaves guns in auto mode for the chosen ISO speed and aperture.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing