Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion

Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion Want to discuss the really early days of digital and even film - here is the place for you.

Old 10th June 2015

Liked 228 Times in 145 Posts
Re: i'm not old fashioned...

Hi Roger, good to hear from you !

And good to see what you are up to with your film cameras too. I see you now have two 'blads, I have been thinking of selling my 202FA and concentrating on using my Leica's but each time I take the 'blad out of it's case I get all sentimental and cannot bring myself to advertise it

Love the Crown Graphic,and those 4"x5" Chromes .... ohhhh

I was tempted to purchase an 'Ebony' 4"x5" recently but somehow managed to resist temptation ... I must be getting better

Kind regards, Simon
Old 10th June 2015

Liked 71 Times in 43 Posts

Yes, I bought a 503CX while my 501C was being repaired. I had yet another accident on a beach - you may recall that last year my 50mm got written off when my tripod fell over on the beach and the lens got sand and salt water in it. Well I had another tripod mishap on a beach and my 501C and 40mm ended up being completely submerged in a salt water pool. I had them repaired by Black on White in Bristol but I knew I was going to be without the Hasselblad for some time. Meanwhile I spotted a 503CX going quite cheap on Ebay so I bought it. I don't really need two bodies so I'll probably sell one of them.

I've had the Crown Graphic for about a year and hadn't really used it much but over the last 2 or 3 months I've used it more and more and I've really been bitten by the large format bug.

I've been in a bit of quandary recently because I'd love to get seriously into large format, but to do so I'd have to sacrifice some of my Hasselblad kit. I did consider selling the 40mm and buying a Chamonix 45 F1, but when I got the 40mm back from repair last week and started using it again I was reminded what a lovely lens it is and I don't think I can bear to part with it. So I think I'm going to stick with the Hasselblad gear and get my occasional large format kicks from the Crown Graphic.

Our savings account is going to have a very big hole blown in it next year as my daughter is getting married, so I'm going to have to seriously curtail any further equipment purchases!

Having said that, if you do decide to sell the 202FA give me a shout. It's very unlikely that I would be in a position to buy it, but you never know!

By the way, on a recent visit to London I went to Red Dot Cameras and had a play with some M bodies. But that's another story...

E-M5, 12-50mm, 14-150mm, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-4ti, 24mm/2.8, 35mm/2.8, 40mm/2, 50/1.4, 85/2, Tamron 70-210/3.5
cariadus.com | flickr | tumblr
Old 10th June 2015

Hi Roger,

Sorry to hear of your second mishap with the "blad and the sea", but good to her all is now well again. Yes the 40mm is a rather special lens and I can understand you not bearing to part with it.

The 'large format bug' bites deep doesn't it. Problem is once you get used to 4"x5", the lure of 8"x10" starts and film for that these days is seriously expensive to say the least

Congratulations to your daughter on her upcoming wedding and commiserations to your wallet
Come the day I am sure you will be 'one very proud dad walking her down the aisle'
Hopefully I will have that to also look forward to one day.

RE: the 202FA ... yes of course, it may be sooner than you think though so long as I can convince myself to part with it and if I do 'the price will be right'

Red Dot ..... now that can be an expensive 'window shop'

Great shop though and great people too. Just had a 90mm Macro-Elmar off of them, beautiful lens and it's the rare silver-chrome version which is made of brass not aluminium. Looks fab on my M4 and cool on the em5 too, actually very easy to focus on the em5 mk2 and initial 'snap shots' are super sharp.

Kind regards, Simon
Old 10th June 2015

Thanks Simon. I will certainly be a proud dad on the day and I won't be thinking how much camera gear I could have bought for the amount it will cost us, honest. Actually we've know for a while that it might be on the cards so I ring-fenced some of our savings a while ago for that eventuality.

Yes indeed for 8x10 film. Not so bad for B&W, Fomopan isn't too bad and many people use Xray film with good results. For transparency film, though, you're looking at around £300 for 20 sheets. £15 per sheet. Ouch! You'd need a seriously good photo on the ground glass before you'd fire the shutter for one of those. And then there's the cost of film holders, and lenses that provide a big enough image circle for 8x10 are by no means cheap.

There are a couple of guys in Hungary who make very nice looking 8x10 cameras at very reasonable cost. Not that I've been looking of course...

I tried out an M6 Classic, M6 TTL and M5 in Red Dot. It was actually the M5 that I got on with best. I know it's supposed to be the ugly ducking of the Leica family, but I really liked it. I may sell my Bessa and a couple of my OM lenses and buy one...we shall see.

OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-4ti, 24mm/2.8, 35mm/2.8, 40mm/2, 50/1.4, 85/2, Tamron 70-210/3.5
Old 11th June 2015

Liked 663 Times in 407 Posts

Some great images there Roger of your film set up. Really nice to see. Congratulations to your daughter too. How about posting a few of the film shots? I'm sure folks here wouldn't mind and some of those negs hanging out to dry looked pretty tasty.
Old 11th June 2015

Hi Phil, well OK here you are then.

A couple of those hanging up from the Hasselblad 503CX and 40mm on Velvia 50

A couple from the Crown Graphic and Schneider Super Angulon 65mm on Provia 100 (expired 2002)

And finally one taken with the Crown Graphic after the others..

The Following User Liked This Post:
alfbranch (4th July 2015)
Old 14th June 2015

Very nice Roger

By the way .... 'browsing' through this weeks Amateur Photographer while in Sainsburys I saw an article that is about Boots the Chemist starting to stock 120 medium format roll film such is the surge in black and white film usage

Who said film is dead, even Boots are getting 'in on the act' ... yes they have always stocked some consumer grade 35mm film, but roll film ... Wow

Kind regards, Simon
Old 14th June 2015

Liked 759 Times in 451 Posts

According to Leica film is definitely not dead. Just been reading a review of the M-A. An all mechanical camera with brass top and bottom plates, black chromed. Yours (body only) for £3200!
I've been thinking about selling all my 4/3rds stuff and going Leica, but I'd probably go M240.

on flickr
Old 14th June 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
According to Leica film is definitely not dead. Just been reading a review of the M-A. An all mechanical camera with brass top and bottom plates, black chromed. Yours (body only) for £3200!
I've been thinking about selling all my 4/3rds stuff and going Leica, but I'd probably go M240.
The M-A is a beautiful camera Steve and I came close to buying one but decided to go for the recently released limited edition 35mm and 50mm lenses instead ( seen in 'post 10, picture 3' page 1 ) Main reason being 1) I wanted them, 2) they are limited to 500 of each worldwide and there are already reports of some exchanging hands at £500 more than when launched a month ago ....

..... plus my M4 is essentially a 1969 version of the M-A and cost me £600 ( Feb this year ) not £3200

It's had a recent CLA and will likely not need another for at least 20 if not 30 years. The M4 is arguably the last of the 'insanely well made' Leica's , everything after is just 'extremely well made'

The M240 is a great digital version but I would be tempted to wait until its price 'bottoms out', that however may be some time off as a nice condition M8 ... a camera launched in 2006 at a price of £3.5k still commands around £1k and has held that figure for the last two years. How much is a £4k CaNikon worth when nine years old or 'sadly' a three year old E-M5

Kind regards, Simon
Old 22nd July 2015

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I only work with film - and only black and white film at that. Over the years, I've become a fairly accomplished darkroom worker and I don't fancy starting from with zero with Photoshop.

I really enjoy getting away from the world for an hour or two in my darkroom. I find it Relaxing.
A
Old 22nd July 2015

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Even better - my 11 year old daughter enjoys joining me in the darkroom amd helping me with my prints! Now I just need to get her interested in taking pictuures as well

A
Old 23rd July 2015

Liked 77 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Even better - my 11 year old daughter enjoys joining me in the darkroom amd helping me with my prints! Now I just need to get her interested in taking pictuures as well

A
Careful, she will be taking over your cameras and then you will be asking her which camera you can use!
Old 7th September 2015

Liked 765 Times in 529 Posts

I have never stopped using film really.

When I bought my E1 for my day job back in 2004 it seemed like a good opportunity to try medium format film in y spare time, so I bought a Mamiya 645 Pro TL and gradually built up a complete outfit. I also have a drawer in the freezer filled mainly with Velvia, but there is some FP4 and HP5 in there too.

The Mamiya is a great system to use, especially with the waist level finder attached. Just plain, simple and nothing much to go wrong.

I still process film when I get a chance, but haven't processed E6 for several years as you have to buy a 5 litre kit to make it economic, and I don't use enough film to make that worthwhile.

Sadly I don't have a darkroom any more. Many years ago I used to enjoy printing onto Cibachrome (later Ilfochrome). The quality was stunning when you got it right, but getting both colour balance and exposure right was tricky!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 8th September 2015

Such a shame that Ilfochrome is no more. I would love to wet print my transparencies - when I finally have my darkroom up and running.

I was fortunate to be given a Jobo CPE2 just over a year ago. I've processed 100 batches of film since then (a batch could be 1 or 2 rolls of 35mm, 1 roll of 120 or up to 6 sheets of 5x4).

Old 8th September 2015

Liked 765 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariadus View Post
Such a shame that Ilfochrome is no more. I would love to wet print my transparencies - when I finally have my darkroom up and running.

I was fortunate to be given a Jobo CPE2 just over a year ago. I've processed 100 batches of film since then (a batch could be 1 or 2 rolls of 35mm, 1 roll of 120 or up to 6 sheets of 5x4).
Cibachrome/Ilfochrome was brilliant, and in my view was probably the best colour photographic paper ever made.

Colours were stunning, whilst long-term colour retention was excellent; even when hung in positions exposed to the sun.

From a home processing point of view the main difficulty was getting the colour balance right. As a hard-up student I could only buy ten sheets at a time; so by the time I got the colour balance right I had already used several sheets of paper. The next pack would need different filtration, so I would have to start all over again!

Some of the chemicals weren't too pleasant (specifically the reversal bleach), which I suspect may have led to its demise. Bromophen worked perfectly well as the first developer, but I'm not sure about the fixer.

(The first Dev had a very short life once mixed so Bromophen provided a useful, and much cheaper alternative.)

I always processed my prints in Cibachrome drums, as otherwise the work would have to be done in total darkness. Adding warm water to the drum before developing helped to reduce contrast a little, and also stabilised the drum temperature.

I have often wondered whether Cibachrome could be used to make direct prints in a large format camera. Colour filtration would be tricky, but the quality would be outstanding.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing