Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > Flash

Flash FL-related discussions can be found here.

Old 21st January 2015

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts
Re: Review of the Meike MK 300 for Olympus

Hi there Pistnbroke!

That was quite an interesting video - as far as I was aware all the m4/3 cameras followed the same standard for flash which is the pre-flash method. One thing that I have noticed with my MK300 (which arrived this afternoon so I've only had a brief play) is that the range function doesn't change with ISO, only with the f-stop. If the gentleman in the video hadn't selected ISO 100 he may well find that with the single flash system it is overexposing for the ISO selected because it doesn't communicate this correctly to the flash when deciding the exposure. It wouldn't matter with the preflash system because it is based on proportionality between the preflash and the main flash, rather than calculation.

On a happy note, the flash works very well with my E-M1 and 12-50mm - the flash clears the lens without leaving a shadow. It even clears the lens hood ok. I'll try it on my E-PL3 in the morning.

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 11th November 2016

Liked 91 Times in 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistnbroke View Post
Its on the second page of this thread..

http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=72466&page=2

let me know what you think
All that thread is one page for me

The flash seems to work OK with my G5, but doesn't seem as powerful as it should be.
Old 13th November 2016

Liked 48 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Harwood View Post
I am ok using my Metz 44AF as that is quite tall but does have the issues of the shadows
Ralph.
. The Nissin i40 is very well designed to eliminate shadows. It is shorter than the Metz 44AF but the flash head projects forward significantly more. Also, it comes with a standard softbox that further helps to reduce shadows.

Of course, another way to overcome lens shadows is to use the flash off-camera.
Old 24th December 2016
adair

Post deleted (spam) and account closed.

Last edited by Ian; 29th December 2016 at 11:08 PM.
Old 24th December 2016

Liked 48 Times in 41 Posts

In the "Flash Features" section of that link, the reviewer uses the terms "Automatic" and "TTL" synonymously. This is not strictly correct. In the TTL mode the flash links with the camera's light meter and the output matches what the lens is seeing. Some higher spec flashes have a true "Auto" mode in which the flashgun also has its own built-in light meter and the output matches what that meter reads ie independent of the camera's meter. I have found that there are certain low-light situations where this mode is significantly better.

Considering the most commonly used external flashes with OMD cameras, neither the Metz 44AF nor Nissin i40 have a true Auto mode, just TTL (the Nissin's 'Auto' mode is just a fixed TTL mode). The Olympus FL600-R has an Auto mode but it is not very good. The more powerful Metz flashguns (I think 58AF and up in the current models) have their own light meters and they are very good.

I have an old Metz 54 MZ-4i which I use with a special Metz adapter that makes it fully compatible with current OMD and Pen Cameras. It gives full TTL control but also has an excellent Auto mode that is very good in low light situations.
Old 29th December 2016
Administrator

Thanked 2,129 Times in 1,060 Posts
Liked 993 Times in 485 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loup Garou View Post
In the "Flash Features" section of that link, the reviewer uses the terms "Automatic" and "TTL" synonymously. This is not strictly correct. In the TTL mode the flash links with the camera's light meter and the output matches what the lens is seeing. Some higher spec flashes have a true "Auto" mode in which the flashgun also has its own built-in light meter and the output matches what that meter reads ie independent of the camera's meter. I have found that there are certain low-light situations where this mode is significantly better.

Considering the most commonly used external flashes with OMD cameras, neither the Metz 44AF nor Nissin i40 have a true Auto mode, just TTL (the Nissin's 'Auto' mode is just a fixed TTL mode). The Olympus FL600-R has an Auto mode but it is not very good. The more powerful Metz flashguns (I think 58AF and up in the current models) have their own light meters and they are very good.

I have an old Metz 54 MZ-4i which I use with a special Metz adapter that makes it fully compatible with current OMD and Pen Cameras. It gives full TTL control but also has an excellent Auto mode that is very good in low light situations.
My apologies - that was a spammer and has been dealt with.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com